The Wellingham Brief

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Wellingham is anywhere near as poor a player as he is being made out to be. Just watched the June WC v St Kilda game where he was in supposedly dire form. He is a creative player and his skill level is generally high. I think he might still be injury affected (that self inflicted injury was stupid) but he is not a spud and pick 18 was probably close to market value.

I remember when Ebert played with us and the crap he copped on these boards. Now he's gone and proved himself to be a good player, it's all 'how we were bent over only getting pick 28 etc.', if you went by the level of abuse on here it should have been pick 128. I hope Wellingham will buy into Simmo's management and show that he was a worthwhile pickup before he's hounded out like Ebert.

I completely understand what you are saying and agree with you - he hasn't been the player we hoped he would be.

BUT, at the time, giving up pick 18 (Brodie Grundy) wasn't all that bad - remember, we finished 4th in 2011 and 5th in 2012, which saw us recruit Wellingham the following year (2013) because we were "threatening" for a flag.

I still believe that our list overperformed in those years (2011 & 2012) and as a result it gave us a false expectation of where our list was at.

All in all, I have no problem with us recruiting Wellingham - Simpson and the coaching staff have handled it extremely well by giving him a reality check.

You win some, you lose some, but he still has time to turn it around and prove that he was a worthy pick up.

Spot on in this analysis, plus we could not beat Collingwood so this seemed a win/win for us!

I completely understand what you are saying and agree with you - he hasn't been the player we hoped he would be.

BUT, at the time, giving up pick 18 (Brodie Grundy) wasn't all that bad - remember, we finished 4th in 2011 and 5th in 2012, which saw us recruit Wellingham the following year (2013) because we were "threatening" for a flag.

I still believe that our list overperformed in those years (2011 & 2012) and as a result it gave us a false expectation of where our list was at.

All in all, I have no problem with us recruiting Wellingham - Simpson and the coaching staff have handled it extremely well by giving him a reality check.

You win some, you lose some, but he still has time to turn it around and prove that he was a worthy pick up.

I don't think it underperformed so much as we didn't appreciate how big a factor Kerr was in leading the midfield and allowing the others there to operate in less critical/responsible roles. It did give us a false sense of where our squad as a whole was, especially the midfield group.

WRT to the trade itself, it was bad. We should have shown spine and said we'd draft him with pick 18, but we were sissies.

I don't think it underperformed so much as we didn't appreciate how big a factor Kerr was in leading the midfield and allowing the others there to operate in less critical/responsible roles. It did give us a false sense of where our squad as a whole was, especially the midfield group.

WRT to the trade itself, it was bad. We should have shown spine and said we'd draft him with pick 18, but we were sissies.

Watch some of these games and see what the taggers were dishing out to kerr - disgusting - sliding into him with both knees when he had a rib injury

Watch some of these games and see what the taggers were dishing out to kerr - disgusting - sliding into him with both knees when he had a rib injury
Love how our front office guys made a big deal about this, oh wait... you gotta wonder why we just put up with some of the cr@p...

Agreed, Kerr was massive because of his presence - albeit for not as many games as we would have liked because of his body. It allowed Shuey, Priddis and Scooter to get off the chain.

We have never had a spine when it comes to trading, being bold in landing a big fish and we rarely spend big money on getting a player from outside - like taking a risk for reward. I am hoping Simpson changes that and lands a prolific/marquee midfielder, because we don't have a match winning or elite midfielder at the moment - but dare I say it, but Nat Fyfe was that player - WA boy and he was also an Eagles supporter. Shuey has shown glimpses, and is primed to breakout though.

Last edited:
Agreed, Kerr was massive because of his presence - albeit for not as many games as we would have liked because of his body. It allowed Shuey, Priddis and Scooter to get off the chain.

We have never had a spine when it comes to trading and we have never been bold in landing a big fish and we rarely spend big money on getting a player from outside - like taking a risk for reward. I am hoping Simpson changes that and lands a prolific/marquee midfielder, because we don't have a match winning or elite midfielder at the moment - but dare I say it, but Nat Fyfe was that player - WA boy and he was also an Eagles supporter. Shuey has shown glimpses, and is primed to breakout though.

Shuey has all the tools to get there, just doesn't really have the presence/confidence to stamp his authority, press the accelerator and remove the doubts. You could see with Judd/Cousins/Kerr, they'd do what they wanted to without any second guessing.

Personally I don't think there's anything enigmatic about him at all.

He's a lazy, soft player who has got as far as he can go with natural ability and a shocking attitude.

Hoping for lazy, soft players to stop being lazy and soft after they have played as much football as he has, is like hoping that Rowan Jones would someday become quick and skilled- they are what they are.

Not much point stressing about it now, in retrospect it was a trade blunder which we just need to write off as a bad investment.Trade-wise, he'd be worth about a third round pick now, but bluntly I wouldn't weep if we delisted him- he'll never amount to anything worthwhile.

He did look pretty good and consistent when he had games in the 2013 season, so it is a slight shock with how he performed this season. He has a solid goal sense and seems to be suited on the wings with his creative outside flair. I wouldn't call the trade a blunder yet, since all the players so far in there early career have barely shown anything or potential (still early of course) other then imo hrovat. He still holds value and improvement in him, so it will be interesting with how he tracks over the preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicoski role?

Had he come to us via free agency I wonder what compo Collingwood would have got. I don't think it would be a first rounder - that indicates we over-paid to me.

If we keep him then I suggest a 3 months stint away from the club preferably in an environment were he can get angry and bulk up a bit...now I'm not saying steroids but I'm not "Not" saying steroids :). Seriously if he got angry this would help his career as like a lot of our playing group ( /hipsters ) we lack an edge in this area of anger. Imagine Masten with a Liberatore like attack on the ball ? there are pills that can help with this but it may take a psychologist to work out why some players seem to just be rocking up to get paid.

Didn't he generally play half forward at the Pies?
Don't think he played much if any mid for them and his best returns were as a forward. Didn't watch a lot of Pies games when he was there just against us, finals and Friday night games but this is my recollection anyway. If so, maybe he isn't really a fit for midfield but if need be then nothing more than a forward floating wing.

Wellingham played a number of roles for us. He was never really stringed to one position. He'd spend some time on the ball some time on the wing and some time at half-forward. He'd even do the odd tagging job. He was a good fit for us as he complemented our midfield with his pace and footskills.

Yeah. Bit of an over reaction. He's gone from playing under Buckly, Woosha and now a Simpson game plan in the space of three years. Also coped injuries in the past two seasons. It's obvious that he can improve but he's not the only one who's had a hard time this year.

Yeah. Bit of an over reaction. He's gone from playing under Buckly, Woosha and now a Simpson game plan in the space of three years. Also coped injuries in the past two seasons. It's obvious that he can improve but he's not the only one who's had a hard time this year.

We can fit Brian Dawson into there as well ;)

I don't think there is anything wrong with him skills wise, in fact I'd argue his skills could be the best of any midfielder in our team. He just lacks that drive to prove himself, its like he knows he's a good player but has no incentive to act on it. Or maybe its the other way? Maybe he thinks he's top s**t and is shocked things don't naturally go his way? Maybe he's low on confidence after being woken up to the fact that Collingwood and their star midfield made him look good?

I remember reading about his signing and him talking up how he always wanted to play for his team. I hope Simmo or someone has mentioned this to him, tell him to show pride in the jumper and show the club what he's made of. Wellingham and Shuey in my mind are the two next leaders for the midfield group. But for one reason or another they haven't met that level yet.

Expecting an ultimatum on Sharrod's head next season. I think he may just prove his worth next season. I want him to succeed for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back