The What Band/Music Can You Not Stop Listening To ATM Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Driving back from the Boogie Festival at Tallarook this morning I reacquainted myself with the most excellent On The Beach album by Neil Young. The perfect tonic for a semi hungover drive back through the country.

I've been playing this a lot lately.
Eddie Vedder Soundtrack to the brilliant film Into The Wild.

Hard Sun
[YOUTUBE]Q-d8q6qDTKQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Society
[YOUTUBE]1jqoZaB2iAw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Picked up an advance copy (from a brilliant recent show at the Retreat Hotel in Brusnwick) of the new album of ex-Weddings Parties Anything frontman Mick Thomas, with his band The Sure Thing, called Spin!Spin!Spin! Got a really catchy set of songs, really believe this guy is one of the best ever Aussie singer/songwriters. Got a great song on their called "Garage Sale", amazing. Also, got a couple of guest appearances, such as Paul Kelly and Ron Hawkins, plus Bigfooty/North Melbourne's own Tim Rogers dueting on a song called "We Goota Stop Meeting Like This" - 2 Aussies masters combining.

Would really give this album the old :thumbsu: :thumbsu: Coming out officially in about a fortnight, or for any fans out there, you can pre-order the album for $20, and it will be signed by Mick. Get on board!

ive gotten heaps into this ska band, Streelight Manifesto, only started listening to them a few weeks back, loving it!!!!

also gotta say, my one highlight last night, singing along at Docklands to some Dropkick Murphys after halftime!!! wasnt expecting to hear that!!! :thumbsu:

One of my fave threads (after the numerous "Sack Laidley" one, of course...) on Bigfooty, lets get it going again!!

*bump*

Here ya go, Spud. Enjoy (and please remember, he usually plays keyboards).

[youtube]T75YklbUXj8[/youtube]

Picked up an advance copy (from a brilliant recent show at the Retreat Hotel in Brusnwick) of the new album of ex-Weddings Parties Anything frontman Mick Thomas, with his band The Sure Thing, called Spin!Spin!Spin! Got a really catchy set of songs, really believe this guy is one of the best ever Aussie singer/songwriters. Got a great song on their called "Garage Sale", amazing. Also, got a couple of guest appearances, such as Paul Kelly and Ron Hawkins, plus Bigfooty/North Melbourne's own Tim Rogers dueting on a song called "We Goota Stop Meeting Like This" - 2 Aussies masters combining.

Would really give this album the old :thumbsu: :thumbsu: Coming out officially in about a fortnight, or for any fans out there, you can pre-order the album for $20, and it will be signed by Mick. Get on board!

Hey what did you think of Cave Clan?

Currently have a few albums on rotation in my car

Brakes - Touchdown (saw them the other week and they were slightly dissapointing but still good)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Its Blitz!
Los Campesinos - We are beautiful we are doomed
The Cribs - Mens Needs, Women's Needs, whatever
Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Flight (been unable to stop listneing to this for a long time)

Also trying to give a listen to the new Decemberists album but am not diggin it so far
[youtube]syRJWoLTtWk[/youtube]

Wouldn't say its my favourite track on the album, but its incredibly well written, got that kinda humour in it that so many of his best songs do.

Are you a Mick/Weddoes fan?

Yeah. My fav track (apart from Cave Clan of course, but I'm biased) is Last Train to Marseille. I was thinking this is not your average Mick song and when I did a bit of research I discovered it's a Richard Clapton song! Great tune.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. My fav track (apart from Cave Clan of course, but I'm biased) is Last Train to Marseille. I was thinking this is not your average Mick song and when I did a bit of research I discovered it's a Richard Clapton song! Great tune.

Fantastic tune, even though not much on a (Richard) Clapton fan. Looking forward to seeing Mick at the Oakleigh Bowls Club (rock on...) in a couple of weeks, been to quite a few of his gigs, and are always great :thumbsu:

Thanks for the vid Mr. R :thumbsu:

New CD that I've been on constant rotation lately is the new Bob Dylan album "Together Through Life". Really enjoying the master, absolutely still in fine form. Similar in tone/sound (very bluesy/folky) etc. to the last 3 (amazing) albums -Time Out of Mind , Love & Theft & Modern Times. Would definitely recommend it for any Dylan fans :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Not sure if the offer is still available, but picked "Together Through Life" up on CD, double LP and the single on 45 for $30, including postage, from the JB Hi-Fi website.

Also trying to give a listen to the new Decemberists album but am not diggin it so far

Yeah, been listening to the album for a couple of weeks now.

Don't mind it actually. It's no "Her Majestys", but it goes alright. Meloy's lyrical subject matter remains ridiculously un-user friendly (and his voice an acquired taste at best), but his songwriting skills are still pretty sharp. And IMO it's nice to see the band take a bit of a darker turn this time around.

Certainly not The Decemberists' catchiest set of songs, but I still find some of them have been creeping into my brain and sticking.

One of the prime culprits....

[youtube]ULSKZ7IP930[/youtube]

I'm really loving this track at the moment - if someone told me a collaboration of Hanson, Cheap Trick and Smashing Pumpkins members would float my boat I'd have thought they had rocks in their head... but it works. It reminds me of The Eastern Dark - a wonderful Sydney band whose existence was cut tragically short due to the death of their lead singer/guitarist, James Darroch in a car accident as they were heading to Melbourne.

[youtube]U-7y1UxNkHM[/youtube]

I'm really loving this track at the moment - if someone told me a collaboration of Hanson, Cheap Trick and Smashing Pumpkins members would float my boat I'd have thought they had rocks in their head... but it works. It reminds me of The Eastern Dark - a wonderful Sydney band whose existence was cut tragically short due to the death of their lead singer/guitarist, James Darroch in a car accident as they were heading to Melbourne.

Ahem, you left out Adam Schlesinger from Fountains Of Wayne.

Fair bet he's the one writing most, if not all, of Tinted Windows' tunes.

P.S. The Eastern Dark rule.

A few weeks ago I picked up a near mint copy of Neil Diamond's Hot August Night (vinyl version) from my local St Vinnie's shop. It's been getting a good run. Crunchy Granola Suite leads to almost involuntary bouts of air guitar.

For a brief period in the early 70s (well, one night to be precise), Diamond was one cool f*cker.

Still have no idea WTF he's actually doing in the photo on the cover.

r170041_637422.jpg

A few weeks ago I picked up a near mint copy of Neil Diamond's Hot August Night (vinyl version) from my local St Vinnie's shop. It's been getting a good run. Crunchy Granola Suite leads to almost involuntary bouts of air guitar.

For a brief period in the early 70s (well, one night to be precise), Diamond was one cool f*cker.
Still have no idea WTF he's actually doing in the photo on the cover.

r170041_637422.jpg

Must have been more than one night of cool-dom, see see. He was considered cool enough to be invited to play at The Last Waltz, alongside the likes of The Band, Dylan, Clapton, Neil Young, Dr John and Joni Mitchell. Didn't get much cooler than that in the early to mid-70s.

Saw this great new band at the Toff on Sunday night, called Tame Impala, from WA IIRC, thought they were amazing! Heard some of their stuff before, but really blew me away on the night. Got a real Cream feel to them, IMO (further confirmed by there 10+ min jams! )Been listening to their EP heaps recently, thought Id share a couple of songs from it on here, see what y'all think...

Half Glass Full of Wine
[YOUTUBE]zfcHq0hhFWg[/YOUTUBE]

Desire Be, Desire Go
[YOUTUBE]nkceZKRotTo[/YOUTUBE]-

Enjoy :)

Saw this great new band at the Toff on Sunday night, called Tame Impala, from WA IIRC, thought they were amazing! Heard some of their stuff before, but really blew me away on the night. Got a real Cream feel to them, IMO (further confirmed by there 10+ min jams! )Been listening to their EP heaps recently, thought Id share a couple of songs from it on here, see what y'all think...
The guys are a buch of spadgers. :thumbsu:

The drummer is rubbish and they are a seriously over rated cover band.

I've seen Tame Impala about half a dozen times (last time was on Friday night supporting The Living End and Gyroscope) and they are pretty damned impressive. They can be a bit hit and miss but when they are on they are great... when they rock out in their extended jams they really go places. The remind me a fair bit of Comets On Fire which is a very good thing.

Half Glass Full of Wine
[youtube]zfcHq0hhFWg[/youtube]

Desire Be, Desire Go
[youtube]nkceZKRotTo[/youtube]-

Enjoy :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back