The What Band/Music Can You Not Stop Listening To ATM Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The guys are a buch of spadgers. :thumbsu:

The drummer is rubbish and they are a seriously over rated cover band.

What have you been smoking?

They are a bunch of kids who are one of the best young bands going around in Australia at the moment - they keep getting better each time I see them.

What have you been smoking?

They are a bunch of kids who are one of the best young bands going around in Australia at the moment - they keep getting better each time I see them.
Nah, each of their other bands were generic rip off bands.

Just trying to find an avenue to make it big. That's all.

Don't have much time for pure tribute bands.

Nah, each of their other bands were generic rip off bands.

Just trying to find an avenue to make it big. That's all.

Don't have much time for pure tribute bands.

I haven't seen their other bands - maybe they were "tribute bands".

Tame Impala are a psychedelic rock band with a fairly even distribution of rock and psych influences - hardly the stuff of tribute bands.

I've been giving the new Clutch album Strange Cousins from the West (is this a reference to the Richmond recruit?) a fair work out... it's pretty awesome.

50,000 Unstoppable Watts (obviously inspired by Shannon Watt)
[YOUTUBE]HDoKyzHzP14[/YOUTUBE]

Also as there are less than five weeks until Monster Magnet are unleashing their magnificence on Melbourne I've been giving them a bit of a work out.
[YOUTUBE]hQZ4ebMKr7U[/YOUTUBE]

bs... question; the Magnet haven't sold out their show in Melbs, have they?

Great vid there Mr. R! :thumbsu: There's a DVD of one of their concerts that's coming out shortly (out now in the US, IIRC). Have an audio copy of one of their gigs that I "acquired" - superb!! Loved hearing all of the old Blind Faith stuff, as well as their duets on their solo material!

From the website "Where's Eric".

"Nominations for the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards were announced in the U.S. on the evening of 2 December 2009 by The Recording Academy. Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood received two nominations. "Live From Madison Square Garden" was nominated in the Best Rock Album category. Eric and Steve are up against "Black Ice" by AC/DC; "21st Century Breakdown" by Green Day; "Big Whiskey And The Groogrux King" by Dave Matthews Band; and "No Line On The Horizon" by U2. The duo also received a nomination for Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group wtih Vocals for "Can't Find My Home,", one of the tracks on "Live From Madison Square Garden." In this second category, they're up against U2, Coldplay, Green Day, and Kings of Leon.

The awards will be handed out in Los Angeles on 31 January 2010 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California and broadcast on CBS-TV."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About time someone should ressurect this thread. Been listening to some Arts and Crafts bands in the last few days - this is one I'd not heard of until now. The Most Serene Republic. Good clips, too.

[YOUTUBE]bmmbDuvqR5Y[/YOUTUBE]

Anything by Sonata Arctica, AMAZING band, stumbled upon them one day havent looked back, all their songs are great and have a story behind them.

The following is about a guy who dies and takes up the offer of death (in the form of a black swan) to work as a reaper basically lol.

[youtube]pjmPvnNJ7RE[/youtube]

About time someone should ressurect this thread. Been listening to some Arts and Crafts bands in the last few days - this is one I'd not heard of until now. The Most Serene Republic. Good clips, too.

Nice one. I've got their debut, Underwater Cinematographer. Quality disc.

Arts and Crafts is an excellent label, too. In fact, I was just checking their current roster and I discovered that I've got stuff from 15 of the 25 bands on their books. (Fwiw....American Analog Set, Apostle Of Hustle, Bell Orchestre, Broken Social Scene, Contantines, The Dears, Feist, Gonzales, The Hidden Cameras, Jason Collett, Phoenix, The Stills, Years, and my favourite Arts & Crafts band, Stars.)

Nice segueway, also, because one of the numerous bands I've been listening to recently has been a Canadian band called Land Of Talk, fronted by Elizabeth Powell, a s**t hot singer and occasional member of The Broken Social Scene Collective.

Fantastic band, kind of early PJ Harvey vibe, but more melodic. Absolutely love this track. (Shame about the non-existent clip.)

[youtube]A2x7EdhU0jw[/youtube]

Good bump. I'm a little on the memory-challenged side, so I'll have a bit of dig through the stack next to the stereo and see what else I've been listening to of late.

^Haha.

Okay, checked the stack and it appears that I have recently been listening to:

*Polvo - "In Prism" (and some of their old stuff as well....so rapt they're back makng music together again)
*Rahim - "Ideal Lives" (seriously great NY band that sounds like Gang Of Four meets Q And Not U)
*Television - "Adventure" (no "Marquee Moon" but it goes alright)
*The Miss Alans - "Ledger" (nifty little noise-pop band from SanFran)
*Joshua English - "Trouble None" (very reminiscent of (genius) Ted Leo's work)
*Rocket From The Crypt - "The State Of Art Is On Fire" (early, raw and awesome)
*Psapp - "The Camel's Back" (cute and catchy)
*Aden - "Black Cow" (hands down best album that the TeenBeat label has ever released)

And Wheat's new album, "White Ink, Black Ink".

Another winning effort from them.

Here's the album's lead-off track....

[youtube]zRjhg51ZQ74[/youtube]

Couple more....

Embrace - "S/T".

Not to be confused with the crappy English band of the same name, this is the band that Ian Mackaye formed after Minor Threat split, but before Fugazi had started up.

Live clip.

[youtube]RW3EQu_wR1I[/youtube]

And last but not least, "Moondagger" by a band called Deastro.

Flawless electro-pop of the New Order variety.

Will lose some of it's impact on shitty pc speakers, but the intro to this song is very cool.

[youtube]iUvhGMCw8u8[/youtube]

Speaking of vampires, I had a mate rave to me about a local band called "The Melbourne Vampires" a couple of years back, but I can't find anything on them.

Anyone have the goss?

Deano?

Yeah, there is/was indeed a band called Melbourne Vampires. Not sure if they're still together. Also, never seen them live, and not sure if they've released anything. IIRC, their music is kind of dancey, electro-clashy pop - say, The Presets meets Depeche Mode. Not what I would have thought you'd be big fan of, but making assumptions about people's music taste is a mug's game.

Also worth mentioning that there is a better known local band by the name of The Cants who play a garage-y type of rock, and whose debut album was called "The Melbourne Vampires".

The Prodigy... saw them live on Sunday at Future Music Festival. Oh my god they must be one of the best live acts of all time. Was absolutely drenched and muddy but still just incredible! I'm not a typical mosher-type but seriously if you wanna go to a live act and really get into it see these guys asap there live show conveys an astounding amount of energy.

Opening

[YOUTUBE]mV9HlEWRoaM[/YOUTUBE]

Massive Bass at 2:45

[youtube]mi6iov82kqE[/youtube]

The Bomb - Smack Ma Bitch Up

[YOUTUBE]E1bICbJ4kG4[/YOUTUBE]

They make their tracks to be performed live so don't take too much from an mp3 - the only way to see them is in the flesh!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back