Food & Drink The Whisk(e)y Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If it's a good bourbon then mixing is not fine.

You'll never find me mixing a Knob Creek or Woodford.
Jim Beam and Coke?

I'll leave now.

To be honest I haven't tried it.

I figure there are plenty of good drinks at a similar or better price to bother with a brand that sells the white label as a drink.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are you guys even talking about Beam?

There is some seriously good, seriously well priced Bourbon out there.

Bulleit's standard should not be more than $40 to $43 a bottle and is as good a spirit as I've had at that price.

If you can find Evan Williams Single Barrel it sells between $40 and $50 and is something I'd put alongside standard Ardbeg/Laphroaig/Arberlour in term of its quality (though it is an extremely different drink). The 2001-2003 barrels I've had are probably all gone now but there is supposed to be a 2004 and 2005.

Between $50 and $60 you have Woodfords Reserve and Bulleit's 10 year (Bulleit 10 is only at IGAs for some reason and for a while it was being sold at the price of the standard which I am certain was just a mistake by some of the store owners so you can get is in the mid 40s).

I started reconditioning my pallet for American whiskey last night. Only took a few drinks and I am back on the wagon.

Woodfords is fantastic.

Have you tried Knob Creek Reserve, BrunoV?

I was getting 1 litre bottles of Woodfords for $59 duty free when I went to Singarpore earlier this year. Not sure whether that is the price or whether it varies but I felt like I was stealing.

On the topic of theft, the old man found a bottle of Booker Noe's for $60 odd. That is a remarkably good, remarkably smooth 60% whiskey. It doesn't seem to retail at less than $100 though so not sure that the hell happened with the pricing.

I had the Knob Creek Reserve at the Kodiak Club. Remember it being delicious but not much else. Next time I go there I'm going to start with the Knob Creek and the Eagle Rare and give them both a proper taste.

I think I need to put some effort into appreciating American whiskey. My opinion was tainted early on, but that was due in large to the examples I was drinking.

As far as taste goes though, even the decent Americans I have tried have been less enjoyable than their Scottish cousins.

It does seem to be significantly cheaper than an equivalent scotch too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back