Food & Drink The Whisk(e)y Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope you gents don't mind the visit, but my better half got be a bottle of my favourite for Chrissy, Ardbeg Corryvreckan. Hard to find but damn amazing. You can get a glass at Whisky and Alement for around the $16 mark.

Enjoyed reading about this one on their website.

Thanks for the alert.

http://www.ardbeg.com/ardbeg/whisky/ardbeg-corryvreckan

I don't suppose you know of anywhere that still stocks Ardbeg's Gallilelo?

Enjoyed reading about this one on their website.

Thanks for the alert.

http://www.ardbeg.com/ardbeg/whisky/ardbeg-corryvreckan

I don't suppose you know of anywhere that still stocks Ardbeg's Gallilelo?
Havant seen a Gallileo around at all mate.

There is a bloke at the 24/7 bottle shop in Windsor who arranges their purchases who can assist in determining if it can be found and shipped in. Pretty helpful character.

Ridiculous value.
I've found litre bottles of Woodford basically impossible to find in bottle shops.

And the 700ml ones would typically cost about $70. So yes, 58 for a litre is absurd value.

Hellyer's Road, Pinot Noir finish. I still drink scotch far better than I speak it, so I won't go on, but I rate it. Another gift from my better half. Not overly peaty but quite...sharp? Has quite a kick to it. Anyone tried it?

Not a bad drop, you have a good better half! Another option that is affordable is Taliskers. A little more bite, but good value for money.

Hellyer's Road, Pinot Noir finish. I still drink scotch far better than I speak it, so I won't go on, but I rate it. Another gift from my better half. Not overly peaty but quite...sharp? Has quite a kick to it. Anyone tried it?
I have the Hellyers Road Single Malt Peated.

Beautiful stuff.

Yep. It's very good.

I've been told that the sharpness you describe comes from the stainless steel pots (instead of copper) that Hellyer's Road uses in the distilling phase. It's usually a criticism leveled at the whiskies.

I see there being this unique thread that ties together all of the Aussie whiskies I've had (Lark, Bakery Hill, Hellyer's Road, Starward and, to a less extent, Sullivan's cove). It's maple syrupy sweetness and a fragrant note that I can't get my head around. I think the use of stainless steel is really just the criticism of purists being purists, I think the sharpness is our ingredients.

Last edited:
I have a bottle of Aberlour 10 on the go.. its ok.

Also gave a bottle of Glen Farclas 15 to one of my mates. Good stuff

Has anyone noticed the price of single malts has sky rocketed at Dans? any idea why? exchange rate?

Has anyone noticed the price of single malts has sky rocketed at Dans? any idea why? exchange rate?
Because they can would be my guess.

Agree on the Hellyer's Road Peated. Enjoyable. Need to buy me some more whisky, running low and will soon be forced to drink the Ardbeg 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because they can would be my guess.

Agree on the Hellyer's Road Peated. Enjoyable. Need to buy me some more whisky, running low and will soon be forced to drink the Ardbeg 10.

A month or two earlier than usual but 'tis the season for Ardbeg.

On another note, had a whisky tasting on Saturday night. The subject of Johnnie Walker Blue came up.

We pitched in to get a bottle to settle the dispute and it is safe to say that the complete and utter disappointment is not a function of memory but reality.

It's not like it is bad whisky but it's probably worth about $60. It strikes me that the packaging is probably worth $140 to $160 which is where the price comes from.

Last edited:
A month or two earlier than usual but 'tis the season for Ardbeg.

On another note, had a whisky tasting on Saturday night. The subject of Johnnie Walker Blue came up.

We pitched in to get a bottle to settle the dispute and it is safe to say that the complete and utter disappointment is not a function of memory but reality.

It's not like it is bad whisky but it's probably worth about $60. It strikes me that the packaging is probably worth $140 to $160 when is where the price comes from.
You might as well get Gold or Platinum if you're getting Johnnie. They're $90-$110 and the Platinum in particular is basically as good as the Blue.

Had Glendronach?

Had some just after Christmas last year. My mate had been to Scotland and came back with it. Apparently it's not easy to find here.

Was beautiful.

ALSO, CAOL ILA. :D

Fist Choice are selling Lagavulin 16 yo for $85 a bottle at the moment which is seriously good value (it's usually about $110). I think it's probably the best whisky I've had. The balance it strikes between Islay peat and the caramel richness of the mainland is easily the best I can recall and makes it ridiculously smooth and easy to drink (whereas I can see how Ardbeg can be a bit medicinal and Laphroig can tastes like someone's put a flaming bag of peat on your doorstep which can make them a bit confronting for the uninitiated).

On point, I opened a bottle of Talisker's Dark Storm last night which I was really looking forward to as I think the (standard) Talisker 10 yo is probably the best value of the peated whiskies (you can usually get it for $60-65 a bottle 4 or so times a year).

The point of difference with the Dark Storm, compared to the standard 10 yo, is that it is aged in heavily charred oak barrels which the distillery says is done to heighten the sense of 'ocean spice and smoke'. Something about it just doesn't quite work. Whereas the caramel in the Lagavulin smooths out the whisky giving it a warm and fuzzy finish it almost conflicts with the peat in the Dark Storm. I think it might be the spice that might be a bit of a shock to the pallet.

Dark Storm is interesting and enjoyable enough but if you look at it in terms of the price increase and the way it sits on the pallet I'd say the 10 yo is a better whisky.

Last edited:
Fist Choice are selling Lagavulin 16 yo for $85 a bottle at the moment which is seriously good value (it's usually about $110). I think it's probably the best whisky I've had. The balance it strikes between Islay peat and the caramel richness of the mainland is easily the best I can recall and makes it ridiculously smooth and easy to drink (whereas I can see how Ardbeg can be a bit medicinal and Laphroig can tastes like someone's put a flaming bag of peat on your doorstep which can make them a bit confronting for the uninitiated).

On point, I opened a bottle of Talisker's Dark Storm last night which I was really looking forward to as I think the (standard) Talisker 10 yo is probably the best value of the peated whiskies (you can usually get it for $60-65 a bottle 4 or so times a year).

The point of difference with the Dark Storm, compared to the standard 10 yo, is that it is aged in heavily charred oak barrels which the distillery says is done to heighten the sense of 'ocean spice and smoke'. Something about it just doesn't quite work. Whereas the caramel in the Lagavulin smooths out the whisky giving it a warm and fuzzy finish it almost conflicts with the peat in the Dark Storm. I think it might be the spice that might be a bit of a shock to the pallet.

Dark Storm is interesting and enjoyable enough but if you look at it in terms of the price increase and the way it sits on the pallet I'd say the 10 yo is a better whisky.
I was just coming here to mention the First Choice sale - was looking at the Talisker for $70, but maybe I'll spring for the Lagavulin. Shame, it sounds like it'll be all downhill from there for this scotch noob. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back