Mega Thread The "Will GWS make it" megathread (NO similar threads will be allowed)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Wanderers' ratings for their last four games have been nothing short of abysmal:

This is a club which won the premiership in its first season and was runners-up in the grand final two years in a row in their first two seasons. It was just a few months ago that they won the championship of Asia.

And yet here we are with abysmal ratings which might suggest that the supposed support for this club has been exaggerated to all buggery.
crowds have gone way south as well. 9k last Friday. Reckon we can top that for a few Skoda home games this season.

Two years down the track, how do we think they are looking as far as long term future goes ?
Personally I think the worry is that once the majority of the currrent list win a flag or two they could hightail back to their home states and with the draft concessions winding right back I think we could see a situation like we've seen with Brisbane the last 10 years. It could be potentially worse though as GWS is not an AFL area, there still isn't great grass roots growth in the area, the crowds are still small ( which is a concern with them traveling so well on the field ) and they aren't taking up much space in the NSW sports market.

Short term I think they're going unbelievabley ( mostly due to league handouts ) and their fans will have great few years ahead.
Long term I think could be a major issue.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Two years down the track, how do we think they are looking as far as long term future goes ?
Personally I think the worry is that once the majority of the currrent list win a flag or two they could hightail back to their home states and with the draft concessions winding right back I think we could see a situation like we've seen with Brisbane the last 10 years. It could be potentially worse though as GWS is not an AFL area, there still isn't great grass roots growth in the area, the crowds are still small ( which is a concern with them traveling so well on the field ) and they aren't taking up much space in the NSW sports market.

Short term I think they're going unbelievabley ( mostly due to league handouts ) and their fans will have great few years ahead.

No grassroots growth in the area?

Participation numbers have grown hugely in Western Sydney since GWS was established.

Maybe do some investigation 1st.
Clearly not to up to date with footy in NSW let alone Sydney

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No grassroots growth in the area?

Participation numbers have grown hugely in Western Sydney since GWS was established.

Correct, they have grown. They aren't anywhere near the numbers in other areas of Aus that have AFL teams though.
The are heading in the right direction, but will it be enough ?

Maybe do some investigation 1st.
Clearly not to up to date with footy in NSW let alone Sydney

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I've done quiet a bit of investigating actually. Growth is up obviously as they were starting from scratch. They have a number of junior teams and Auskick programs in Western Sydney.
Is it anywhere near the size of other AFL areas ? No. Will it be down the track ? That's what we're discussing.

General Giant, what are your thoughts on some of the points I made in my original post ?

Correct, they have grown. They aren't anywhere near the numbers in other areas of Aus that have AFL teams though.
The league understands that Western Sydney is a long term strategy, not an overnight success. That is the attitude they should have as the custodian of the game in looking to promote the sport to new areas.

Nowhere near the numbers of other areas with AFL teams? Could it be because those other areas are where the sport is a 150 year old institution?

Our average crowds are actually quite comparable to most Sydney NRL clubs and the Waratahs.

I don't think there is much evidence of clubs experiencing a mass exodus of players after winning preimierships either.

The league understands that Western Sydney is a long term strategy, not an overnight success. That is the attitude they should have as the custodian of the game in looking to promote the sport to new areas.

Nowhere near the numbers of other areas with AFL teams? Could it be because those other areas are where the sport is a 150 year old institution?

That's exactly why it's the case. Doesn't make it any less of a worry.
The supporter base will grow slowly with the help of the AFL, as it should.

I think this coupled with the other issues I mentioned - player retention, on field performance etc could become an issue down the track.
As a GWS fan does this not concern you at all ?

At junior level in Sydney

GWS zone ---

2012 - 67 teams from under 9's- 17's
2017 - 155 teams from under 9's to 17's

Swans zone ---

2012 - 210 teams from under 8's to 17's
2017 - 366 teams from under 8's to 17's

Private schools comp ---

2012 - 0 teams
2017 - 50 teams.

Also a article about umpire growth in Sydney, sought of reinforces the junior football growth in Sydney.

Umps.jpg

“In 2018 we will be aiming to hit approximately 560 umpires, which would be 10% growth again,” Moore said.

This growth will allow us to match the player growth rate and continue to service the league. Any more than this is amazing and will help us combat depth issues for the future.”

http://aflsj.com.au/umpire-500-sydney-juniors/

Our average crowds are actually quite comparable to most Sydney NRL clubs and the Waratahs.

I don't think there is much evidence of clubs experiencing a mass exodus of players after winning preimierships either.

I think it's more so the locale. You've got a number of talented youngsters from interstate and have some good experienced players in the same boat.
The lure of success is attractive to them no doubt as I don't think they're in western Sydney for the lifestyle.
I think quiet a few could be keen to look at a move home once they've had some success.

At junior level in Sydney

GWS zone ---

2012 - 67 teams from under 9's- 17's
2017 - 155 teams from under 9's to 17's

Swans zone ---

2012 - 210 teams from under 8's to 17's
2017 - 366 teams from under 8's to 17's

Private schools comp ---

2012 - 0 teams
2017 - 50 teams.

Also a article about umpire growth in Sydney, sought of reinforces the junior football growth in Sydney.

Umps.jpg

“In 2018 we will be aiming to hit approximately 560 umpires, which would be 10% growth again,” Moore said.

This growth will allow us to match the player growth rate and continue to service the league. Any more than this is amazing and will help us combat depth issues for the future.”

http://aflsj.com.au/umpire-500-sydney-juniors/

I'm surprised by that. Not the numbers I read.
I think regardless of the grass roots situation they'll gather a decent supporter base over time. I just think it will take quiet a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's exactly why it's the case. Doesn't make it any less of a worry.
The supporter base will grow slowly with the help of the AFL, as it should.

I think this coupled with the other issues I mentioned - player retention, on field performance etc could become an issue down the track.
As a GWS fan does this not concern you at all ?
Player retention an on field success concerns me no more as a supporter of GWS than a supporter of any other club.

A few years at the bottom and most clubs crowds are down 30% and players look for greener pastures. Its the nature of the game, not exclusive to GWS.

I'm surprised by that. Not the numbers I read.
I think regardless of the grass roots situation they'll gather a decent supporter base over time. I just think it will take quiet a while.

It is clearly an attempt to build from grass roots up, no other way long term will work, what numbers did you read ?.

Yo
Player retention an on field success concerns me no more as a supporter of GWS than a supporter of any other club.

A few years at the bottom and most clubs crowds are down 30% and players look for greener pastures. Its the nature of the game, not exclusive to GWS.

You're ignoring the fact that Western Sydney is the least attractive area of all citys/areas in the league.
That's one of the worries the league has for a Tassie team. Not for everyone and the risk of player flight is too great.
The plus side for Tassie is that they're a strong established aussie rules state.
These things could be an issue down the track for GWS.

Yo

You're ignoring the fact that Western Sydney is the least attractive area of all citys/areas in the league.
That's one of the worries the league has for a Tassie team. Not for everyone and the risk of player flight is too great.
The plus side for Tassie is that they're a strong established aussie rules state.
These things could be an issue down the track.
Western Sydney is a great place to live and raise a family. Innccurate sterotypes will make people believe differently.

Western Sydney is a great place to live and raise a family. Innccurate sterotypes will make people believe differently.

I'm not saying that's not the case but we aren't talking about 30 something's looking to settle down with a family.

Footy players aged 18-28 live a different lifestyle.

Yo

These things could be an issue down the track for GWS.

How many Bulldogs players would live in Footscray? Not one of the most attractive places in the country.
What is the lifestyle that keeps players? Where is the lifestyle that attracts players?
I would have thought it was more about winning, money & opportunity.

How many Bulldogs players would live in Footscray? Not one of the most attractive places in the country.
What is the lifestyle that keeps players? Where is the lifestyle that attracts players?
I would have thought it was more about winning, money & opportunity.

There are 20 attractive suburbs with cafe lifestyles within 15 min of Whitten Oval for players to live. Silly comparison.

There are 20 attractive suburbs with cafe lifestyles within 15 min of Whitten Oval for players to live. Silly comparison.

Generalising about the GWS area of some 2million people in various suburbs is silly too. But that didnt stop you. ;)
Their are a lot of nice leafy areas with cafes & restaurants.

But the question remains, what attracts &/or retains players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back