FTA-TV The Wire

Remove this Banner Ad

The Wire is my favourite television show ever, the writing was amazing and the acting at a very high level. My partner has not seen it before, and watching her reaction to key events is like watching it for the first time all over again!

....she also hasn't watched Sopranos.......

BUMP!

52 characters from the Wire illustrated:

enhanced-buzz-wide-27542-1354205385-10.jpg

Amazing that a show can have so many instantly recognisable and memorable characters. I guess it is the greatest ever though.

BUMP!

52 characters from the Wire illustrated:

<snip>

Amazing that a show can have so many instantly recognisable and memorable characters. I guess it is the greatest ever though.

Love it, JP! Jimmy is still my favourite character.

I'm mid way through season 3 on my current re-watch. Gets better every time.

Just finished watching it for a second time and it was as good as the first watch. Now that I wasn't focusing so hard on what was going to happen next, as I already knew duh, there are so many small details and lines that I took no notice of first time that you realise play an important role later.

I've been re-watching this recently, just finished season 2 again. I was just thinking about two of the things that make this show so unique.

With the exception of Marlo there are pretty much no completely 'good' or 'bad' characters, from main characters right down to bit part players. And I don't just mean how McNulty's a good cop but also an a-hole, you think about the characters who people usually like the most or sympathise with. Wallace (along with Bodie and Poot) almost beat a man to death over a couple of dollars. D'Angelo murdered at least 1 man (still not sure if he dropped the naked college chick or not). Bubbles actively plots the murder of a man. All of the cops are at various times shown to be corrupt and regularly engage in police brutality. You watch season 4 and you feel sorry for Prez, then you rewatch season 1 and think he's a campaigner for blinding that kid. Pretty much none of the characters are 1 dimensional.

Then you have the complexity and depth of the characters shown. If the Wire was any other show, season 1 for e.g. would probably have McNulty, Daniels and Kima as the main characters, with maybe a little bit of time for Avon, Stringer and D. The rest of the characters either would just be 1 dimensional background characters or wouldn't be included at all. I think this is what adds so much realism to the show, real life doesn't operate with just 5-6 people being involved with everything.

One gripe I do have though watching season 2. End of season 3 most of the Barksdales get shot or locked up, the whole organisation pretty much disappears. End of season 1 most of the Barksdales get locked up or shot (there looks to be ~20 guys in the court room scene) including 5 of the top 6 guys, and whilst the organisation struggles they still pull a bunch of new guys out of nowhere. Some of them like Country are explained as being fresh out of jail, but then a bloke like Shamrock goes from not being in the organisation in season 1 to 2nd in command in season 2. Who knows though maybe that's how it is in real life, soldiers and dealers coming and going from nowhere.

great pic but where is slim charles?!

Can't see Namond or Randy either

A scene that always sticks with me is the one with Carver and Randy at the hospital after Randy's foster mother gets burned. Randy calling out 'You gonna look out for me Sgt Carver? You mean it? You gonna look out for me? You promise? You got my back huh?' as Carver walks away is one of the best closes to an episode in the series.

Can't see Namond or Randy either

A scene that always sticks with me is the one with Carver and Randy at the hospital after Randy's foster mother gets burned. Randy calling out 'You gonna look out for me Sgt Carver? You mean it? You gonna look out for me? You promise? You got my back huh?' as Carver walks away is one of the best closes to an episode in the series.
I can count on one hand the times I've teared up over movies/tv (most of them as a kid), and the wire has some heartbreaking scenes, but that is the one seriously had my eyes welling. It's so devastating. This kids life is completely ****ed over, Carver tries to comfort him but Randy just confronts him with the truth: he can't do anything for him. And all Carver can do is walk away. Definitely top 5 scenes in the show for me.

I can count on one hand the times I've teared up over movies/tv (most of them as a kid), and the wire has some heartbreaking scenes, but that is the one seriously had my eyes welling. It's so devastating. This kids life is completely screwed over, Carver tries to comfort him but Randy just confronts him with the truth: he can't do anything for him. And all Carver can do is walk away. Definitely top 5 scenes in the show for me.

The Bodie scene, and D'angelo's "where's Wallace" scenes also come to mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished all 5 seasons since christmas. Loved it, nearly as good as The Shield. Loved Omar and Bunk.

Det. Bunk Moreland: You seem awfully happy today.

Detective: I got laid last night.

Det. Bunk Moreland: Oh yeah? Your arsehole still hurt?

So Robert Chew AKA Prop Joe has died in his sleep. Very sad, was only 53.

Great actor and portrayed a great character absolutely perfectly. Where would you rate Prop Joe in your list of Wire Characters? I think he might sneak into my top 5. I didn't like him, but damn he was good.

So Robert Chew AKA Prop Joe has died in his sleep. Very sad, was only 53.

Great actor and portrayed a great character absolutely perfectly. Where would you rate Prop Joe in your list of Wire Characters? I think he might sneak into my top 5. I didn't like him, but damn he was good.

Why didn"t you like him? Because he was cunning?

Why didn"t you like him? Because he was cunning?
Yeah he was a weasel, but I think the main reason I disliked him was the way he hooked up Marlo, by far my most hated character, throughout series 5. I just don't understand a) why he would do that and b) how he couldn't see it ending badly for him. Watching it is painful.

That said whilst I didn't like him I wouldn't say it was a strong dislike, certainly not like my dislike for Marlo and most of his crew or Stringer.

Man, RIP. Prop Joe was one of my favourite characters and has the best line in the series behind Omar, when Nic tries to straighten stuff out over Ziggy: 'If it wasn't for my boy Sergi, you'd be cadaverous mother*ers by now'.

Alright fellas, I downloa...er...bought all seasons of The Wire and have them sitting there waiting to be watched. I've heard it's up there with Breaking Bad as one of the greatest shows of all time, so I'm gonna get stuck into it. Does it take long to get into?

Alright fellas, I downloa...er...bought all seasons of The Wire and have them sitting there waiting to be watched. I've heard it's up there with Breaking Bad as one of the greatest shows of all time, so I'm gonna get stuck into it. Does it take long to get into?

4-5 episodes. After the end line of one of those or (maybe the 6th) I knew I was in for a special show.

Much slower than Breaking Bad, and no real cliffhanger type moments, but far, far better overall writing and more depth to the show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back