FTA-TV The Wire

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Just a heads up for anyone with Foxtel wanting to rewatch the series or enjoy it for the first time lastnight Showcase started to replay the series from S1 in Double episodes every friday, and they got the remastered tapes with the widescreen 16:10 tapes. they did the same with The Corner a few years ago which was the mini-series that started the wire. I think have only been shown on Direct TV in the US. and the DVDs are 4:3 for most of the seasons IIRC

so the current airings are a better crop than the DVDs ever had. not HD but like they look better than the DVDs do

Alright fellas, I downloa...er...bought all seasons of The Wire and have them sitting there waiting to be watched. I've heard it's up there with Breaking Bad as one of the greatest shows of all time, so I'm gonna get stuck into it. Does it take long to get into?

Yeah, give it 3 or 4 episodes. There are so many characters. And the whole story takes a bit to reveal itself.

Worth persevering though - a great great show. Very rewarding. The series set in the education system is so angry, so political.

flight23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Da Bulls
yeah first episode will make you ask WTF? its not bad, its just in no rush and doesn't have that "OMG" moment

but then it will just blow you away

Alright fellas, I downloa...er...bought all seasons of The Wire and have them sitting there waiting to be watched. I've heard it's up there with Breaking Bad as one of the greatest shows of all time, so I'm gonna get stuck into it. Does it take long to get into?
It took me 6 eps till it hit like a motherf**king bullet love the show yo.give it time.

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW
Bump.

Just finished my belated re-watch. Even better the second time around.

I think I'd rank the seasons 1, 4, 3, 2, 5.

Season 2 grew on me so much on my second viewing. I appreciated the decaying American city and end of the blue collar industry plot so much more. Just brilliant. I could easily rank the season higher.

Also I feel Season 2 has the best closing montage:

Season 5 still my most disliked season by a long, long way. Hate the fake serial killer plot and what happens to Jimmy and Lester.

Need to get my hands on Treme now, I think.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Damn, I think I am due a long awaited revisit. I did my re-watch of the series in late 2009/early 2010 (around the time I got into Homicide and when Wire Season 5 hit local release on DVD), so definitely overdue.

Agree about Season 2, I think that season has a personal charm that really only Season 4 matches. I still really enjoyed Season 5, even if it wasn't quite as stellar.

Treme is excellent, it takes elements of the Wire even further (although a little too journalistic at times in some plot strands).

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW
Damn, I think I am due a long awaited revisit. I did my re-watch of the series in late 2009/early 2010 (around the time I got into Homicide and when Wire Season 5 hit local release on DVD), so definitely overdue.

Agree about Season 2, I think that season has a personal charm that really only Season 4 matches. I still really enjoyed Season 5, even if it wasn't quite as stellar.

Treme is excellent, it takes elements of the Wire even further (although a little too journalistic at times in some plot strands).

I'll definitely check Treme out.

I wonder what's next now for David Simon now that Treme has finished?

Took me the entire first season didn't get into it at all watched it over about 6 months and I almost gave it away then watched the last 4 in about 2 months.

Decent show but I didn't love it as much as the people that rave on about it and the end s**t me.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I've been wishing for the Alien cast to eventually do something cool like that someday. They are all still alive, but a couple could potentially pass away in the near future (I think Harry Dean Stanton is at least in his mid 80s now).

Love it when shows have cast reunions a decade or so down the track, always awesome.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love those panels, only disappointing part was that it only went for an hour. Could watch 2 hours of David Simon alone.
Hugely interesting dude. Pretty underrated as a social analyser too, the things he was trying to say in the Wire ended up becoming massive movements about eight years later.

Back