The Wire

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? I didn't think he was evil at all.

Scary, **** yes. I'd hate to have him as a boss.

I just reckon he was all about looking after numero uno, which meant sweeping things under the rug, keeping McNulty schtum etc.

But I think he showed that he was probably a really good (if not crooked) police back in his day, and the episode when Jimmy lost it when Kima was shot, showed that he (Rawls) had a conscience.

Bump.

Regarding Rawls having a conscience, I see that scene differently after watching the series for the third time now on Fox.

In another scene you hear Rawls say he hates McNulty but admits that he is good police. When in the hospital, Rawls detects that McNulty is starting to lose his s**t. If that happens, it's not good for the case and hence not good for Rawls.

Rawls comforting McNulty is all about doing what he can to ensure his people can effectively do their job. McNulty needed to pull himself together , and quickly. It's business, not personal.

Anyway good to be watching it again. I too like season 2 the most, (surprise surprise with my avatar) and loved the Frank Sobotka character.

Bump.

Regarding Rawls having a conscience, I see that scene differently after watching the series for the third time now on Fox.

In another scene you hear Rawls say he hates McNulty but admits that he is good police. When in the hospital, Rawls detects that McNulty is starting to lose his s**t. If that happens, it's not good for the case and hence not good for Rawls.

Rawls comforting McNulty is all about doing what he can to ensure his people can effectively do their job. McNulty needed to pull himself together , and quickly. It's business, not personal.

Anyway good to be watching it again. I too like season 2 the most, (surprise surprise with my avatar) and loved the Frank Sobotka character.

I think it's implied in the show that Rawls was once an effective police before he became involved in career climbing.

The Sopranos is the only TV show that compares IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump.

He was showing the capacity to not be completely s**t in that scene and it was also a way of showing how the police stick together when one of their own has been injured or killed in the line of duty (as they should).

A thread to discuss the greatest show of all time. If you have not seen it then avoid this thread and go watch it. Now!

My favourite characters:

Frank Sabotka
Avon Barkesdale
Jimmy McNulty
Snoop

Series in order of preference:

2, 4, 3, 1, 5

Five was still ridiculously good.
I just went "shiiiiiiiiiiit" when I noticed an important omission.

This is the best TV show ever.

No allowance for subjective taste here, even if Sopranos or Breaking Bad are as entertaining they have nothing on the educational/thought provoking nature of this show.

Even Charlie Brooker from Black Mirror says it's the best show ever and he makes some pretty amazing stuff.

When I re-watch it, which I will, I think I will find it even more difficult to separate the seasons. I think season 3 was perhaps the most complex/difficult to follow.

I still have yet to watch again, almost ten years later!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the episode last night where Omar testified against Bird. Very funny. Surprised to see the judge was the dad out of Sneaky Pete and the guy that plays Nicholas Zabutka (sp) is the guy that plays the Leprechaun in American Gods. I posted him as a Cale Hooker lookalike on the mb which he does in that but he doesn't look anything like him in this.

Enjoying it but still can't see me rating it over something like Deadwood or Breaking Bad or even Better Call Saul.

Watched the episode last night where Omar testified against Bird. Very funny. Surprised to see the judge was the dad out of Sneaky Pete and the guy that plays Nicholas Zabutka (sp) is the guy that plays the Leprechaun in American Gods. I posted him as a Cale Hooker lookalike on the mb which he does in that but he doesn't look anything like him in this.

Enjoying it but still can't see me rating it over something like Deadwood or Breaking Bad or even Better Call Saul.
Deadwood or Breaking Bad are pretty tough to beat but the Wire is pretty damn close for mine.. Keep watching.

The thing with The Wire is that most seasons start slowly (especially by today's standards) in the first few episodes. You need to hang in there.
So true. I found the first half a dozen episodes really hard until I got my head around the characters, much like Beerfish. Once that happened, I could not stop watching.

Focuses mostly on the stevedores union and the can full of dead hookers so far.

Season 2 is my favourite. Also where is Womb when I want to put down Stringer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back