Multiplat The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Tales of a legendary card playing, camomile drinking adventurer

How do you feel about Gwent?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah, this games kicks my ass. So many deaths but enjoyable all the same
Can't get all the Gwent cards as the Bloody Baron hang himself at the end of that quest line and didn't bother to play him before it was finished. Damn it. Also a bit devo I had to fight Keira to the death. I kinda like her character.

Baron's Botchling for mine. It's a level 6 quest but I wouldn't even recommend trying until 8-9. He's got a stack of health, he heals himself regularly, hits like a truck and three Wraiths spawn during. A solid 10 minute grind.

I didn't take on the botchling. Went the other way and had to deal with a few waves of wraiths. Died a few times still but I chose the other primary first (think it was Keira?) and levelled up a few times before the barons line which I think was the way to go. I was chatting to a mate on party chat when we were doing those respective quests and he was struggling big time on the botchling too and ended up going the other way anyway. So I had a heads up and was prepared :D

yeah, this games kicks my ass. So many deaths but enjoyable all the same
Can't get all the Gwent cards as the Bloody Baron hang himself at the end of that quest line and didn't bother to play him before it was finished. Damn it. Also a bit devo I had to fight Keira to the death. I kinda like her character.

Check his draw. I got the card from him but had the same outcome. Reading other forums the card should be in his room somewhere :)

How does this game compare with Mordor? The game is beautiful and gameplay is good, but after grinding away in Destiny, want a bit more variety than kill captain/side mission/kill captain and so on. Plus I suck at stealth games.

Does this compare more with a game like Skyrim? And difficulty Darks Souls bad that scrubs like me will rage quit?

Tossing up whether to trade in for this or pre-order something on the endless list of good titles coming out later in the year.

Does this compare more with a game like Skyrim? And difficulty Darks Souls bad that scrubs like me will rage quit?
Im only about 25 hours in, and still feel Ive barely scratched the surface, so take my thoughts for what they are worth.

It's challenging but not too hard. Skyrim is a reasonable general comparison but this has far more personality. Combat looks simple, but is actually quite deep. It feels very weighty.

The world and its stories just suck you in. The weather effects and win put you right there.

But it does need a big time investment to properly experience it.

How does this game compare with Mordor? The game is beautiful and gameplay is good, but after grinding away in Destiny, want a bit more variety than kill captain/side mission/kill captain and so on. Plus I suck at stealth games.

Tossing up whether to trade in for this or pre-order something on the endless list of good titles coming out later in the year.
I haven't played a game this much since Shadow of Mordor, but the game is very different to Shadow of Mordor.

Shadow of Mordor had a really cool concept with the hierarchy system, but ultimately, the gameplay was all about fast paced action, running around and slaughtering. The game, although open world, is linear compared to Witcher 3, because Witcher 3 is just so big and there's so much to do.

There's a lot more dialogue and looting in Witcher 3. Although you have a sword and magic, the combat is different. It's harder, and it takes patience. I play on normal, and at times I can wreak havoc, but most times it's a pretty contested battle, where I have to pick my times when to attack.

The combat is backed up by it's system of dividing into 3 tiers. Combat, Signs (magic pretty much), and alchemy/battle oils.

You can choose how you want to fight, and there's a fair bit of diversity and flexibility that comes with it.

Compared to SoM, where you are guaranteed to fill out the whole skill tree, you have to pick and choose carefully in Witcher 3.

The dialogue and story is a lot more captivating in Witcher 3, but there's a whole lot of dialogue. And a whole lot of running around. The best thing about Witcher 3, imo, are the side quests ability to stay engaging. Usually, games like these, the side quests feel just like errands. Whereas, in this game, the side quests make you feel immersed in the game.

However, I'm 35 hours in, and I reckon about I'm about.... 20% of the way in. SoM was good in that, it was so fast paced and challenging (at the start), and the story moved quite quickly that I was always into it. But the game is nowhere near as long as Witcher 3. Whereas, in Witcher 3, I'm starting to feel the monotony of large games like this, the constant walking around, the looting, the talking. That might just be me though, other people like that, for me it can be a bit of a grind.

Ultimately, well worth it though. Like I said, haven't played a game this much in such a short amount of time since Shadow of Mordor.

Thanks for the feedback guys, think I'm going to enjoy it going by the comments.

Snagged a copy down the local EB before hitting the pub to watch this arvos game.

Im only about 25 hours in, and still feel Ive barely scratched the surface, so take my thoughts for what they are worth.

It's challenging but not too hard. Skyrim is a reasonable general comparison but this has far more personality. Combat looks simple, but is actually quite deep. It feels very weighty.

The world and its stories just suck you in. The weather effects and win put you right there.

But it does need a big time investment to properly experience it.
Im 80 in a still feels like i have scratched the surface. Damn Gwent

Finished the game last night, around 100 hours in total. Just trophy clean up today. Had to go back to a save for the assassination of kings trophy. Now I only need to find the random merchants I have no battled for the random gwent cards. 7 left to find. :(

Finished the game last night, around 100 hours in total. Just trophy clean up today. Had to go back to a save for the assassination of kings trophy. Now I only need to find the random merchants I have no battled for the random gwent cards. 7 left to find. :(

Some merchants don't spawn every time you go to a town so good chance they're the ones you're missing. There are plenty of sites that list the cards and their location so what I did was empty my decks and just went through one by one adding them and checking them off. Was a pain but didn't know how else to do it :straining:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some merchants don't spawn every time you go to a town so good chance they're the ones you're missing. There are plenty of sites that list the cards and their location so what I did was empty my decks and just went through one by one adding them and checking them off. Was a pain but didn't know how else to do it :straining:
Yeah I had a collection list on my phone. They were all in western Novigrad. Got the plat now :D

At what point did you guys start getting decent cards for Gwent?

I can beat the easier ones, but the guys who have the monster cards and can summon like four 4 attack cards or have like a 10 attack card, get me everytime.

At what point did you guys start getting decent cards for Gwent?

I can beat the easier ones, but the guys who have the monster cards and can summon like four 4 attack cards or have like a 10 attack card, get me everytime.
Other than from the Gwent quests they are random. For monster decks use the card that freezes their melee.
Buy every card you see from any Merchant or Innkeeper. Doesn't matter if they aren't any good just buy the lot. I used the Northern Realms deck from the start. Use the leader with the clear weather ability. Took out all weather cards, have 1 or 2 scorch cards 1 or 2 decoy cards, I dont use spy cards above 4 power. Have the minimum amount of unit cards (22), that way you have a better chance of getting your stronger cards in your first draw, and take out all of the weaker cards you have and eventually filter them all out and you will at least smash a majority of earlier Gwent players. That is what i still do and i win 9 times out of 10

Really liking this only put a few hours in up to level 3 but loved the fleshed out stories and cutscenes. The effort they put in for side quests too adds that extra touch and makes it feel like an immersive world.

Character levelling feels deep without being too much. Just the right balance of everything really.

Hoping/assuming the landscapes vary a little as the game goes on though?

Where do you go to check those stats? Or do they show up once you finish the game?
I dunno about PS4, but on the XB1, on the main Xbox home screen you can click on the witcher and compare what you've achieved with friends and it has how many hours played, kills and all that stuff etc.
Unfortunately PS4 doesn't track it like that, will only be tracked if the game it self tracks it.

To check in game go to your Character Sheet and press R2 for stats. I think Time Played was in the bottom left.

I've only just got to Skellige, am I right in saying that I've barely got through 40% of the main story?

I've done stacks of side quests. The bloody Palio race given by Cleaver took me about 5 tries. I won by blocking the other 2 guys on the narrow paths til Roach regained stamina.

Back