Opinion The won't/will make it thread

Remove this Banner Ad

vinum coupe said:
But I dont think you can be too quick

as quick players are mostly slimmer/smaller having too many of them means you will get out bodied a lot

Sydney, Freo and Hawthorn all have pretty big midfields none of them are quick

I don't think anyone is arguing that GHS will be a superstar, but he'll be a workhorse in the midfield that our future team will rely on, much like Joel Corey. I feel like a lot of people here are blinded by flash, so they ignore GHS. Flashy play is all well and good, but if no one can get a centre clearance or lay a bruising tackle to get the ball out, how will you ever see the flash. Just because GHS is an unfashionable player doesn't mean he isn't a valuable one. Another reason I feel he may be maligned is because he isn't Joel Selwood, he's taking a little while to develop <cough> Jimmy Bartel, Joel Corey, James Kelly <cough>, unlike our current star inside midfielder who was brilliant from day one.
I am supremely confident that those of us on the GHS bandwagon will be rewarded in coming seasons, and those writing him off will have egg on their faces.

well said. do you remember what people used to say about our current/past group of champion triple premiership players? before 07 alot of them were not even considered A graders! or were um and err'd about whether or not they were A grade or B. it took alot of them until the ages of 23-25 to really come big. i dont see why we should look at horlin smith and our current crop any different. give them the same patience and time to develop that our past and present champions had. alot of people here are forgetting just what a lot of them were like at the same age horlin smith is now

Ling. You posted this:

In other words, you can't compare Horlin-Smith to Ling, in any way, shape or form, because Ling is a legend. Even though the only attribute being compared is pace. If people argue that Horlin-Smith's lack of pace is a deadly flaw (and they are), it's reasonable to ask why it didn't harm other wonderful players we've had.

if this is the case, then do you think the geelong football club would have drafted him? given the extensive knowledge they would have had on the kid for years prior to drafting him? i see the whole pace argument as utter crap, yes he lacks leg speed, but he makes up for it in other areas of his game. the club obviously didnt think it was a career ending deficiency given they used a second round draft pick on him

I'd argue Ling had better speed than Hyphen, wouldn't anyone agree?

He was slow but he had a gear or two whereas George seems to have no gears whatsoever and it's one fixed jogging speed.
I think we're overplaying how slow he is. Looking at the great highlights you posted (and put together? If so great job), he's slow but he isn't dragging behind the packs. No he'll never run and carry or bust out of a pack, but he makes every contest.

Brown - Yes but not with the cats
Schroder - Yes but not with the cats
Hartman - No
Cowan - No
Bews - No
Smedts - Yes
GHS - Yes
Murdoch - Yes
Kolod - Don't know
Stringer - No
Lang - Yes
Bates - Don't know
Hunt - Yes
Simpson - Yes
Walker - Yes
Burbury - No
Kersten - Yes
Thurlow - Yes
Hamling - No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by the way how many people on here over the years have i read say that dawson simpson wont make it or discuss how untalented he is? i used to sit back shake my head and laugh when i read some of the dribble people talk about players on bigfooty. i used to be so impressed with the guy, i remember watching him run around vs fremantle one day years ago, i said to my brother after the game " why the heck is this guy not in the side more often?!" to me he always looked the goods, i cant really understand why he got such limited game time for years. but of cause, using the match committee rule of thumb, they had no "faith in his ability' therefore he must have been no good and should have delisted him years ago, once again the sound logic which is the reason horlin smith is never going to make it

by the way how many people on here over the years have i read say that dawson simpson wont make it or discuss how untalented he is? i used to sit back shake my head and laugh when i read some of the dribble people talk about players on bigfooty. i used to be so impressed with the guy, i remember watching him run around vs fremantle one day years ago, i said to my brother after the game " why the heck is this guy not in the side more often?!" to me he always looked the goods, i cant really understand why he got such limited game time for years. but of cause, using the match committee rule of thumb, they had no "faith in his ability' therefore he must have been no good and should have delisted him years ago, once again the sound logic which is the reason horlin smith is never going to make it
Ottens and Injuries.

I wrote him off, feel like a ******* now.

It's probably one of the best things you could be proven wrong about! I have written Mitch brown off personally, and I sure hope I'm proven wrong on it this year!
Yep always happy to be proven wrong when I say a player won't make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wrote him off, feel like a ******* now.
He may/We may be fortunate he got back on the ground for a few games and played well last year when he did and that Hamish missed the year as well or he may well have been delisted,being out of contract.Still needs to put a season together lets hope he's over his problems.At least the last injury wasn't related to the previous back problem.
For the record 3 or 4 years back now I had Dawson,West,Gillies and Drum in a post as won't make it at Geelong (notice no Mitch Brown I was a fan back then promising young forward,)3 are gone and if I was to be wrong about any it's going to have to be Dawson, lets hope I am.

He may/We may be fortunate he got back on the ground for a few games and played well last year when he did and that Hamish missed the year as well or he may well have been delisted,being out of contract.Still needs to put a season together lets hope he's over his problems.At least the last injury wasn't related to the previous back problem.
For the record 3 or 4 years back now I had Dawson,West,Gillies and Drum in a post as won't make it at Geelong (notice no Mitch Brown I was a fan back then promising young forward,)3 are gone and if I was to be wrong about any it's going to have to be Dawson, lets hope I am.
The form he showed in those games says to me that the only thing preventing him from making it is injury. At the moment he looks like he's over it and on the cusp of dominating the competition.

Sadly I don't think everyone on here is. Some people on here I take it go bizerk at the first sign of them being wrong about something. Bit of an ego trip
Yes and it normally becomes personal attacks and has been worse over this off season,it's a blight on the board. Case in point SJ deleting 100 odd post in a thread last week on our board with out an out sider contributing.Disgraceful.

Yes and it normally becomes personal attacks and has been worse over this off season,it's a blight on the board. Case in point SJ deleting 100 odd post in a thread last week on our board with out an out sider contributing.Disgraceful.
I can see where the change of behavior has come from. For the first time in a very long time we are in a bit of an unknown position, everyone's opinions of 14 and individual players will vary enormously for the first time in years, opinions will clash enormously. Great moderating thought by sj

I really cant remember anyone writing him off.

There's been bugger all exposed form to make that call.
He certainly has lacked endurance. Looked better last year.

Still hasn't made it !

I really cant remember anyone writing him off.
People with lists at the beginning of this thread were writing him off, saying he wouldn't make it. I also recall your very good friend Catsmaninamerica saying he wasn't going to get there.

Qualification; Must play 100 games. Anywhere. But must have been drafted by Geelong, and currently on the list.

For prosperity.

Here is my go.

Brown - Yes
Schroder - Yes
Hartman - No
Cowan - No
Bews - No
Smedts -............ No
GHS ........ No
Murdoch - Yes
Kolod - Yes
Stringer - No
Lang - No
Bale - No
Hunt - Yes
Simpson - No
Walker - No
Burbury - ........... yes
Kersten - Yes
Thurlow - Yes
Hamling - Yes

Left out the obvious yes guys.

Why create the thread? NFI.
VC you said the GHS wouldn't make it when you started this thread!

I know.
That's why there are so many dots next to his name.

I couldn't make my mind up.
I decided they couldn't all make it so I just made a call on a few through gut feeling.

I reckon you'll find a comment from me about 16 months ago where I said he would make it!
Can't make my mind up! :)

He needs to force himself in if he is to make it.
He wont be gifted games like Vardy on the assumption of 'potential'
Thats pretty much why I said no. Playing the percentages mate :)

And you've got to say (based purely on our current ruck stocks) that my call on Simpson will be wrong!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back