douggie the don

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Any ideas as to why Laverde slid to 20?
Attitude, upside, mental resolve.
Have they just been lucky with a steal or has Essendon got itself some damaged goods?
Thoughts?

Football ability could be a possibility?

Tall midfielders who do amazing things are always going to get hyped before the draft.

But from what I'v seen as well as making the difficult look easy Laverde can do the opposite at times as well. He's also quick without being lightening. Might not take the marks he does at AFL level, but mainly I think his decision making is a little off.

If you look at those drafted ahead of him its:
Gun hard to find quality talls (McCartin, Wright, Moore, Marchbank, Lever, Durdin)
Super slick running midfielders with near perfect pace and skill (Pickett, Ahern, Weller, Duggan, Garlett)
Really solid ball winning midfielders (Petracca, Brayshaw, Heeney, De Goey, Cockatoo, Ellis)
Then Carlton are going to Carlton with BB. I haven't seen enough of him to judge that choice from the Blues.

I look at the list and I think well the talls make a lot of sense. I look at the mids who win their own ball and use it well and I understand that as well. If those 6 lined up on a wing v Laverde in a grand final day who would you take right now? I'd take the first 4 for sure and probably Cockatoo. Ellis, hard to say but he's reliable. Of the outside mids they aren't all tall as him. They can't take the marks nor do they have some of his ability to get the ball and do things with it all over the ground. But all those guys I've named have a lot of speed and smooth skills. I think they link up and then link in with team mates more naturally.

That's just my opinion. It's what I've got from watching Laverde where I see 3 or 4 brilliant things then something that makes me think hmm what was that. And it's something that can't be coached out of some players. At the same time you can't coach height and it's very difficult to coach some players to take big strong grabs. So I'd be pretty pumped with Laverde and wouldn't worry too much.

Any ideas as to why Laverde slid to 20?
Attitude, upside, mental resolve.
Have they just been lucky with a steal or has Essendon got itself some damaged goods?
Thoughts?

He caught my eye in the champs. I think Essendon have a real player on their hands.
He does look like a very brilliant athlete and exceptional mover, so I guess the risk is that he is just all show.

Pretty sure he was always in the 15-25 range before the trade period up until Collingwood were rumoured to be interested in him after getting Pick 5 for Beams
After that everyone seemed to expect that he was a slider when others overlooked him

I did not expect him to last. I don't think anyone did.

I'm not surprised now after hearing he had been training with Cale Hooker, Lives 10 mins away from Tullamarine, huge Essendon family, Essendon grammar boy. Might be the handy work of Dodoro.

Not a lot wrong from Essendon's perpspective seeing as we ranked him 8th overall apparently.

If we ranked him at 20 then why did we take Langford with first pick? Langford was rated higher by our club because of psyc testing. The implied question in the OP is, does Laverde test crap in this area?

Compare him to Ellis. Both came from same TAC cup team and played Vic together. At the state champs Laverde had more possessions than Ellis and was also swung forward to show off some exciting forward skills. On top of that he's taller, faster and heavier. Considering that why did he slide? There is always a reason. Sometimes it turns out to be invalid, like injury concerns for Selwood or Heppell, but there were concerns all the same.

Did he do a medical with Collingwood who were supposedly into him?
Perhaps they found something they didnt like?

So you rated Langford at 7 then? Would love to see the top 6 in that list.
No, I think they're saying we rated Langford 12th? But thought Carlton was much more into Langford and took the chance they would skip Laverde.

Edit: Yes, the article says Langford 12, Laverde 8th.

Of course, clubs always rank players differently and maybe the guys rated ~10 were available at 17 for most clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you rated Langford at 7 then? Would love to see the top 6 in that list.

According to an article in the Herald Sun we took Langford ahead of him because Cartlton were interested in Langford not Laverde. We apparently had Langford ranked 12th.

It'd be a great insight to look at and compare each clubs rankings

Ahh right, haven't seen the article. Makes sense.
All clubs rank players differently so it's not really worth toying with hypotheticals I guess.

There is an extremely in the know person on Twitter who said we were taking Boekhorst at 19 and Rainbow at 28 in the hours leading up to the draft. I'd suggest Dodoro is making stuff up or got fooled himself.

They have their own intelligence networks, of course Disco could have the same guy who told the USA that Iraq had WMD.

Think it just reflects this draft pool. It was just very very even from 4-5 through to about 21. You could make an argument for taking any of those players in almost any order. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and how much those factors mattered to each club was going to be a genuine matter of opinion.

It means it was a "good" draft to end up with picks in the high teens, in that whatever happened there were going to be players there who had been viewed by many as genuine top 10 prospects.

No, I think they're saying we rated Langford 12th? But thought Carlton was much more into Langford and took the chance they would skip Laverde.

Edit: Yes, the article says Langford 12, Laverde 8th.

Of course, clubs always rank players differently and maybe the guys rated ~10 were available at 17 for most clubs.

The article also has Hird rating Laverde as "a better version of Marcus Bontempelli"................

I did not expect him to last. I don't think anyone did.

I'm not surprised now after hearing he had been training with Cale Hooker, Lives 10 mins away from Tullamarine, huge Essendon family, Essendon grammar boy. Might be the handy work of Dodoro.
so in other words another elliott kavanagh? Looked how that turned out

The article also has Hird rating Laverde as "a better version of Marcus Bontempelli"................

Sorry to get in the way of Carlton supporters joy of Essendons issues atm but surely you have enough material without making stuff up.

Laverde’s height, marking strength and versatility prompted one recruiter this week to dub him “a better version of Marcus Bontempelli”.

Seriously it wasn't even Hird quoting a recruiter as saying it ffs.

It appears of all the clubs with top 20 picks, the pies were the only club that supposedly rated him.

It must have come down to his interviews imo.

Although bombers fans should definitely be happy with their picks. Some sunshine in a dark period!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back