The Worde on Laverde?

Remove this Banner Ad

It appears of all the clubs with top 20 picks, the pies were the only club that supposedly rated him.

It must have come down to his interviews imo.

Although bombers fans should definitely be happy with their picks. Some sunshine in a dark period!!

Highly unlikey, but the below is most likely.

Think it just reflects this draft pool. It was just very very even from 4-5 through to about 21. You could make an argument for taking any of those players in almost any order. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and how much those factors mattered to each club was going to be a genuine matter of opinion.

I was quoting the OP

Why so sensitive?

If i was being sensitive i would have pulled you up on your comment about there being serious doubts on him as a midfielder.

I questioned you on the sliding thing because as media commentators and list managers have been saying for weeks this is the most open draft they have ever seen so with so many players rated in such a wide number of draft positions, it's not valid to say someone slid if they were rated in a large draft choice bracket anyway.

According to an article in the Herald Sun we took Langford ahead of him because Cartlton were interested in Langford not Laverde. We apparently had Langford ranked 12th.

It'd be a great insight to look at and compare each clubs rankings

You'd be shocked...........guaranteed.

Doubt it. Just because I'd have no idea what to expect.

They vary wildly and it seems that things are changing somewhat with clubs feeling more comfortable about balancing their list on a needs basis and not just on the old, "We'll select the best player" scenario.

Some of the same names may well be on the sheets but there can be a wide distance between them from team to team.

I think Bontempelli is the buzz player from last years draft and perhaps Laverdes physical attributes caused Big Footy experts to overhype him a little. Still a first round draft pick and thats no knock on him.

"Laverde’s height, marking strength and versatility prompted one recruiter this week to dub him “a better version of Marcus Bontempelli”.

cd7.gif

Compare him to Ellis. Both came from same TAC cup team and played Vic together. At the state champs Laverde had more possessions than Ellis and was also swung forward to show off some exciting forward skills. On top of that he's taller, faster and heavier. Considering that why did he slide?
Poor comparison. Ellis strained his knee which severely impacted his output in the final two games of the champs. This affected the averages you speak of above.

If you compare TAC games this year, Laverde kicked 1.5 goals a game, Ellis 0.75. Laverde recorded more than 20 possessions in 3 of his ten games. Ellis in 6 of his 8, which includes the last game of the year in which he injured his foot.

Ellis looks a pretty consistent contested ball winner. Laverde looks like he is less contested but more dangerous up forward.

Hope both have good careers, but both are different players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Laverde’s height, marking strength and versatility prompted one recruiter this week to dub him “a better version of Marcus Bontempelli”.

cd7.gif
What an awesome gif. Actually if you want the hype to go into overdrive Langford is either Bontempelli or Gunstun and this fella is Fyfe!!

If i was being sensitive i would have pulled you up on your comment about there being serious doubts on him as a midfielder.

I questioned you on the sliding thing because as media commentators and list managers have been saying for weeks this is the most open draft they have ever seen so with so many players rated in such a wide number of draft positions, it's not valid to say someone slid if they were rated in a large draft choice bracket anyway.

Agree with you on all these sliding theories. At the end of the day, regardless of where he may have been rated, he is a Pick 20 - not potential Pick 5.

Same with other players - the 'ratings' are just media stories and have no genuine correlation to how the clubs rate them. It just tends to put more pressure on the kids.

Sorry to get in the way of Carlton supporters joy of Essendons issues atm but surely you have enough material without making stuff up.

Seriously it wasn't even Hird quoting a recruiter as saying it ffs.

If it makes you feel better I think Essendon killed it with their two picks compared to Carlton's drafting which was very strange compared to who was still available. Why the Blues didn't leap on Goddard at 19 is baffling.

But only time will tell.

If it makes you feel better I think Essendon killed it with their two picks compared to Carlton's drafting which was very strange compared to who was still available. Why the Blues didn't leap on Goddard at 19 is baffling.

But only time will tell.
What sort of year did Goddard have?

We lack genuine outside mids who can kick and hit a target.

Carlton list taking shape says McKay
“Ideally we’d like a really good midfielder. We’d like to bolster our midfield stocks and do that with someone young,” McKay said.

“It just depends whose there, it’s too hard to predict. We have a feeling the talls will be gone by then.”
Carlton list taking shape says McKay

If a draftee mentioned they idolize Lance Armstrong, I'd expect they'd slide.

McKay would say that though. Carlton are stuffed
We don't need the luxury tax to pay the likes of Boyd and Griffen next year. :)
That's 2 Goddard's they have missed out on now
How does this compare to your draft penalties and missing out on finals due to doping?

You could have had Cripps, Merrett, Garlett, Langford and Laverde. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back