The Worde on Laverde?

Remove this Banner Ad

You could be favourite for the spoon by round 1 and Cooney captain.

Waite and Higgins have joined a top 4 side - and if you missed the final we steam rolled essendon. We don't have an issue with stopping in games.

Back on topic

* I'm glad we got Laverde and North didn't.
If he makes it he is the exact type of player who teams will struggle to match up on.

What has me concerned about Laverde is that for a tall outside midfield type that received so much pre draft hype so many team that appeared be lacking that kind of player on there list passed on him in some cases more than once.
GWS- passed on him three times and they could definitely use that tall outside midfield/utility on there list. Happy to take there chances with Vic Metro kids in regards to the go home factor.

Pies- lacking height in there midfield which many thought would make Laverde an ideal match at 190cm. Pies pass on Laverde going for the much more inside Degoey 187cm.

GC- looks as though they went with the best available @8 would have thought Laverde @15 could have been that tall outside midfield/utility that they don't seem to have no there list ATM

WC - with Pickett and Cocky already taken Laverde is the type of player they that the eagles don't seem to have on there list. Dugan is a bit similar to what they already have surprised they didn't take the tall outside midfield/utility type.

Tigers- Laverde was the most highly rated of the six Western Jets that were drafted. Tigers needed class in the midfield and took Corey Ellis.

Crows- don't really have a outside tall midfield/utility type on there list.

Freo- they do love there tall midfielder/utilities with a point of difference, surprised they didn't add another.

Roos- spoke to Laverde hours before the draft so they must of had a fair idea that he would available. They could also use a tall outsidemid/utility but passed.

Just makes me wonder what do the recruiters know that we don't. Many on BF had Laverde a top 5-10 lock and would have laughed at anyone who suggested that he would still be there @20. I wonder if the Dons hadn't pick him @20 how much more he would have slid.

What has me concerned about Laverde is that for a tall outside midfield type that received so much pre draft hype so many team that appeared be lacking that kind of player on there list passed on him in some cases more than once.
GWS- passed on him three times and they could definitely use that tall outside midfield/utility on there list. Happy to take there chances with Vic Metro kids in regards to the go home factor.

Pies- lacking height in there midfield which many thought would make Laverde an ideal match at 190cm. Pies pass on Laverde going for the much more inside Degoey 187cm.

GC- looks as though they went with the best available @8 would have thought Laverde @15 could have been that tall outside midfield/utility that they don't seem to have no there list ATM

WC - with Pickett and Cocky already taken Laverde is the type of player they that the eagles don't seem to have on there list. Dugan is a bit similar to what they already have surprised they didn't take the tall outside midfield/utility type.

Tigers- Laverde was the most highly rated of the six Western Jets that were drafted. Tigers needed class in the midfield and took Corey Ellis.

Freo- they do love there tall midfielder/utilities with a point of difference, surprised they didn't add another.

Roos- spoke to Laverde hours before the draft so they must of had a fair idea that he would available. They could also use a tall outsidemid/utility but passed.

Just makes me wonder what do the recruiters know that we don't. Many on BF had Laverde a top 5-10 lock and would have laughed at anyone who suggested that he would still be there @20. I wonder if the Dons hadn't pick him @20 how much more he would have slid.

clutching. at. straws

:) I guarantee you that is not true.

It is hard to not believe Dodoro, though.
Come on now you really believe that crap. Rogers has stated that he had BB as the 5th best midfielder for Carlton
Langford doesn't even play midfield o_O

To be fair, everyone is going to say what we all want to hear. Be it Essendon, be it Carlton, be it Melbourne or even the Crows.

Media speculation still reported Carlton were going to take BB at 28, why wouldn't you take the U18 AA forward Laverde ahead of BB?

To be fair, everyone is going to say what we all want to hear. Be it Essendon, be it Carlton, be it Melbourne or even the Crows.

They may well do but there are facts and then there is speculation.
Keeping aside which players we think will be better in time to come, Carlton were never going to take Laverde nor Langford before Boekhorst.

Carlton wanted Boekhorst & Viojo-Rainbow with their first 2 picks and got them, knowing we wouldn't see Petracca, Brayshaw, Marchbank, Duggan and only a couple of others
North were the ones that were seriously looking at Boekhorst with their second pick with Footscray every chance also.

Laverde should be a very good player but there were question marks raised on him as must be evident given many skimmed him for more stable types.

Pies wanted an inside mid/fwd to replace Beams so they went with De Goey

Gold Coast went with best available at 8 and wanted a winger (which they got in Garlett)

West Coast probably took into account Duggan's age, leadership qualities and the fact that he was starting to develop into a midfielder when selecting him at 11

Tiger always play it safe so it was no surprise when they took Ellis at 12

Freo wanted to add an outside mid with an elite kick so they went with Weller at 13

Crows took best available and filled their biggest need (a partner for Talia) in Lever at 14

Roos went with best available in Durdin at 16

My boys took Langford at 17, gambling on you guys taking Goddard/Boekhorst instead of Laverde, which you did. It seemed as though Mick was trying to save his arse in this years trade/draft period, bringing in many mediocre players that could develop into decent AFL players whilst in the draft he went for immediate impact. As for BF phantom drafts, they're influenced by rumours so I wouldn't really read into who's picked where since they get changed so many times.

Come on now you really believe that crap. Rogers has stated that he had BB as the 5th best midfielder for Carlton
Langford doesn't even play midfield o_O
Fyfe was a 190cm 74kg 3rd/2nd tall forward when he was drafted. Most of the time you don't draft players on what they have done but what they will become, Peter Bampton was arguably the most AFL ready player in the pool however he was completely overlooked.

My boys took Langford at 17, gambling on you guys taking Goddard/Boekhorst instead of Laverde, which you did. It seemed as though Mick was trying to save his arse in this years trade/draft period, bringing in many mediocre players that could develop into decent AFL players whilst in the draft he went for immediate impact. As for BF phantom drafts, they're influenced by rumours so I wouldn't really read into who's picked where since they get changed so many times.

Again, this is not true.

Mick had a wish-list/hit-list and along with Rogers & McKay devised a formula that would cover pieces needed.
Rogers even said as such through interviews and every area was ticked off in terms of meeting desired profiles.....age, character, types etc.

We certainly didn't get the creme de la creme of personnel, but Mick can't say he didn't get what he wanted.
It's up to him now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get what your saying in regards to wanting BB HARKER, but you don't generally get U18 All Australian's so late in the piece hence why everyone was so surprised you guys overlooked Laverde.

Mate I was surprised also, even knowing what I knew leading into the draft.

We wanted BB & DVR and got them which is fine, but when BB's name came up at #19, I thought we'd lose out on DVR.
I wanted Laverde also at the time but now have a better understanding why we didn't take him.

All that aside, there were still some very good players around the mark as we'll no doubt find out in years to come.

Mate I was surprised also, even knowing what I knew leading into the draft.

We wanted BB & DVR and got them which is fine, but when BB's name came up at #19, I thought we'd lose out on DVR.
I wanted Laverde also at the time but now have a better understanding why we didn't take him.

All that aside, there were still some very good players around the mark as we'll no doubt find out in years to come.

Just on the whole overlooking of Laverde. Why was that? Similar players already on your list? Menzel, Johnson, Tutt, Yarran, Sheehan?

Media speculation still reported Carlton were going to take BB at 28, why wouldn't you take the U18 AA forward Laverde ahead of BB?
Shame BB didn't play against teenagers for two weeks.o_O :oops:

A burst of form in the U18 arguably means less than a good season playing against men at WAFL level like Yarran who wasn't AA six years ago.

Laverde was overlooked for Pickett, Lever, Garlett, Weller, Langford, De Goey, Cockatoo, Duggan, Ellis and Durdin who weren't named in the AA side.

Clubs clearly had more concerns about this "elite" junior who was considered a lock in phantoms, but not the real thing.
Fyfe was a 190cm 74kg 3rd/2nd tall forward when he was drafted. Most of the time you don't draft players on what they have done but what they will become, Peter Bampton was arguably the most AFL ready player in the pool however he was completely overlooked.
Why is a 21 year old a finished product?

Hawks traded 19 for JOR who is 21.

Andrew McKay was picked ahead of Nick Holland who was a teenager.

Isaac Smith is older than Gibbs.

Harry Taylor was a mature recruit.

Meh.

There is always a few on that are Highly Rated each year on BigFooty that go lower then expected or not even drafted

Shame BB didn't play against teenagers for two weeks.o_O :oops:

A burst of form in the U18 arguably means less than a good season playing against men at WAFL level like Yarran who wasn't AA six years ago.

Laverde was overlooked for Pickett, Lever, Garlett, Weller, Langford, De Goey, Cockatoo, Duggan, Ellis and Durdin who weren't named in the AA side.

Clubs clearly had more concerns about this "elite" junior who was considered a lock in phantoms, but not the real thing.

Why is a 21 year old a finished product?

Hawks traded 19 for JOR who is 21.

Andrew McKay was picked ahead of Nick Holland who was a teenager.

Isaac Smith is older than Gibbs.

Harry Taylor was a mature recruit.

Meh.
I never said a 21 year old was a finished product, however they are closer to their ceiling than when they were 18. My comparison of Langford and Fyfe's physical attributes and positions when they were 18 was to show how a player can change.

I never said a 21 year old was a finished product, however they are closer to their ceiling than when they were 18. My comparison of Langford and Fyfe's physical attributes and positions when they were 18 was to show how a player can change.
A 21 year old is nowhere near a finished product. They are at least 2-3 years from being a finished product, being only 2 years ahead of a TAC Cup draftee.

Don't get the arrogance either way in this thread. Just because Laverde and Langford were more accomplished juniors doesn't mean they'll be better players than BB and just because Laverde slid doesn't mean he won't be successful or recruiters saw flaws.

If posters are going to rag players at least provided a relevant explanation, and not just because someone who saw more junior football rates them so.

Laverde doesn't have a contested game which leaves a massive ? Over what position will he play at afl level. I know he played high half forward/midfield for the Jets and in the games I got to see live he was very underwhelming and it reflected in the Jets BnF count. Didn't place in the top 10:eek: While Dugan came runner up Menadue 4th+ won the coaches award DVR 5th+ won most consistent player and C Ellis 6th all those boys played metro rep and missed just as many games.
After watching a few Jets games live the two players I really rated were DVR and Menadue. I Would have been happy if we used our first pick on DVR his the best kick of a footy I've ever seen. The sound the ball makes when it hit his boot and then when it thumps into the targets hands/chest WOW.:D Kid has an RPG for a left leg:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back