The Worde on Laverde?

Remove this Banner Ad

I get what your saying in regards to wanting BB HARKER, but you don't generally get U18 All Australian's so late in the piece hence why everyone was so surprised you guys overlooked Laverde.

That makes no sense Laverde was pick 20 there's is 22 U18 AA's so how is @19 late in the piece. U18 AA's go undrafted every year. It's a team picked on a few weeks of footy and reputation doesn't hurt. I'm more interested in how the draftee preformed for the whole year either in TAC cup or senior state leagues. Laverdes TAC cup year was pretty average didn't place in the top 10 in the Jets BnF. Rogers even said pre draft that we would use @19 to add speed though the midfield nither Laverde or Langford are speedy or midfielders. Laverde contested game is not great and Langfords is almost non existent I can't see either of them making it as midfielders at AFL level so they were never a chance for Carlton @19.
BB went under the rader for some reason he smashed the WAFL this year averaged 21possies a game and if you've seen his highlights he has real pace and great disposal particularly when running at top speed.
To give it a bit of perspective a 20yr Lewis Jetta had his breakout year in the WAFL averaging 19 possesion he ended up going @14 in that draft.

We needed a kep position back - Lerverde was no chance with Durdin available. Same sort of excitement when we passed on Kav?

No, Kav was never one I really got excited about, but Richmond passing on Heppell on the other hand, also Houli leaving along with Monfries gave me a bit of joy, ended up with Hibberd for Houli which was a bonus.
Laverde just has that bit of difference which makes him a exciting prospect, just needs to learn how to read the play, which in my opinion is the most important skill a footballer can have.

What sort of year did Goddard have?

We lack genuine outside mids who can kick and hit a target.

Carlton list taking shape says McKay

Carlton list taking shape says McKay
with the talls as far as numbers go id say mckay is correct.
how many talls does a list need is the question that needs to be asked. to me the norm for all clubs on match day is 3 tall def, 3 tall fwds and 0ne sometimes two ruckmen.
given afl clubs field 2 sides and tend to mirror what what happens in the seniors with the seconds simple deduction and logic says good list numbers would be
6 tall fwds, 6 tall def and 3 or 4 ruckmen as a starting point. carlton have this.

kpf jacksch 20yo, jones 24yo, casboult 25yo, henderson 25yo, foster 19yo. with walker as a third tall type 28yo.

rucks
warnock 28yo, kruezer 25yo, wood 28 yo.

kpd giles 19yo, jamison 28yo, rowe 27yo, watson 22yo, with white 26yo and everitt 26yo third tall types.

they didnt have a great need for talls in the nd even though they took one late in foster. the need was addressed in the trade period thus allowing them to target mids in the nd.

now people may argue the quality of the above mentioned players but given the premise carlton have it right they didnt need to take talls as a matter of urgency in the nd.

So Hird and co have again avoided any reasonability and it's all on Ryders wife.

Donial is all I read between the lines.

Sorry - Hird control's Ryder's libido !

Who will Ryder blame next.

No, Kav was never one I really got excited about, but Richmond passing on Heppell on the other hand, also Houli leaving along with Monfries gave me a bit of joy, ended up with Hibberd for Houli which was a bonus.
Laverde just has that bit of difference which makes him a exciting prospect, just needs to learn how to read the play, which in my opinion is the most important skill a footballer can have.

The excitment on your board for Kav was similar to Laverde. Lets hope it works out better.

Monfries has become a very good footballer - not sure why you would be happy to see him leave. Hibberd is a great upgrade on Houli.

That makes no sense Laverde was pick 20 there's is 22 U18 AA's so how is @19 late in the piece. U18 AA's go undrafted every year. It's a team picked on a few weeks of footy and reputation doesn't hurt. I'm more interested in how the draftee preformed for the whole year either in TAC cup or senior state leagues. Laverdes TAC cup year was pretty average didn't place in the top 10 in the Jets BnF. Rogers even said pre draft that we would use @19 to add speed though the midfield nither Laverde or Langford are speedy or midfielders. Laverde contested game is not great and Langfords is almost non existent I can't see either of them making it as midfielders at AFL level so they were never a chance for Carlton @19.
BB went under the rader for some reason he smashed the WAFL this year averaged 21possies a game and if you've seen his highlights he has real pace and great disposal particularly when running at top speed.
To give it a bit of perspective a 20yr Lewis Jetta had his breakout year in the WAFL averaging 19 possesion he ended up going @14 in that draft.
I wouldn't go as far as underselling their potential as a speedy forward-mid or wingman. Brad Hill and Isaac Smith don't win the ball like Will Langford and Liam Shiels. Yet Viojo-Rainbow polled more votes than Laverde who went just eight picks ahead of him.

DVR's highlights are arguably as exciting as Laverde's who has a reputation as a potential matchwinner with upside.

Wingman Brayden Monk wins TAC Cup club Western Jets’ best and fairest award
The 18-year-old polled 214 votes to win from Liam Duggan (187) and Billy Myers (167). Connor Menadue (133) and Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (118) rounded out the top five.

It's been suggested that Carlton might have been more interested in DVR who would arguably be our best kick. Dillon hits bullets and attacks like Yarran who has sound decision making. Laverde's vision doesn't look as sharp. The following profile suggest that he's a good kick with both feet, but he can shank them.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/jayden-laverde-2014-draft-prospect.1071469/

Jaksch2Yarran, you forgot to mention how Laverde really stepped his game up when he came against better opposition in the under18 championships, with a AA selection and a easy best on against Adelaide, also going at 18 poss and 74% eff as a high half forward, taking excellent marks.
Watching the under 18s you could see why Laverde was rated at a pretty high level, DVR just couldn't quiet adapt against the better opponents.

The only one eligible for this years draft and passed over was Jake Johansen. The championships show how each player can react to playing with new teammates under a new coach and game plan. It also shows how they can compete against the best of their age group, so it is quite relevant IMO.

Kane Cornes came 3rd in Port's BnF whilst Brad Ebert didn't even make the top 10.

Laverde can play as a wingman, and averaged over 300m gained per game last year. Boekhorst has an average contested game, and will need to put a lot of weight on at the gym to compete with the big boys. Yes it's all very exciting when Blaine goes for a dashing run and hits a target lace out, but when something goes wrong he's not really the biggest advocate of defensive running.

Laverde doesn't have a contested game which leaves a massive ? Over what position will he play at afl level. I know he played high half forward/midfield for the Jets and in the games I got to see live he was very underwhelming and it reflected in the Jets BnF count. Didn't place in the top 10:eek: While Dugan came runner up Menadue 4th+ won the coaches award DVR 5th+ won most consistent player and C Ellis 6th all those boys played metro rep and missed just as many games.
After watching a few Jets games live the two players I really rated were DVR and Menadue. I Would have been happy if we used our first pick on DVR his the best kick of a footy I've ever seen. The sound the ball makes when it hit his boot and then when it thumps into the targets hands/chest WOW.:D Kid has an RPG for a left leg:p
You could see his contested game improved throughout the year, so it definitely has the scope to be OK at AFL level. At the Jets he was plonked down forward far too long at times IMO. If he was allowed more wing time his disposal count would greatly improve which was shown in the championships. DVR looked extremely good at TAC cup level, but at time in the championships where the quality is a lot higher he crapped himself under pressure and his bazooka turned into a bow and arrow. I really like him and think he will be your next chief rebounder, bit he'll take a fair bit of time to come to speed with the game at AFL level. I'm also a huge Menadue fan, and belive that if he can put the weight on without losing his game breaking ability then he'll be in the top 10 of this draft class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could see his contested game improved throughout the year, so it definitely has the scope to be OK at AFL level. At the Jets he was plonked down forward far too long at times IMO. If he was allowed more wing time his disposal count would greatly improve which was shown in the championships. DVR looked extremely good at TAC cup level, but at time in the championships where the quality is a lot higher he crapped himself under pressure and his bazooka turned into a bow and arrow. I really like him and think he will be your next chief rebounder, bit he'll take a fair bit of time to come to speed with the game at AFL level. I'm also a huge Menadue fan, and belive that if he can put the weight on without losing his game breaking ability then he'll be in the top 10 of this draft class.

I think you might want to cheek that. In the game where Vic metro beat SA DVR cut SA to pieces and was maybe BOG if not top 3
DVR 21 disposals 8 marks 2 contested 1 tackles 1 clearance 9 contested 12 uncontested 81% DE
Laverde 14 disposals 4 uncontested marks 2 tackles 2 clearances 11 uncontested 3 contested :rolleyes:71% DE
It was this game that made SA play a really hard tag on DVR the next time they played SA. DVR himself said that his last 2 games of champs where down but he preformed very well in the other games and won most consistent play for the Jets. In a team that had 5 players picked in the top 35 of this years draft :eek:.

Jaksch2Yarran, you forgot to mention how Laverde really stepped his game up when he came against better opposition in the under18 championships, with a AA selection and a easy best on against Adelaide, also going at 18 poss and 74% eff as a high half forward, taking excellent marks.
Watching the under 18s you could see why Laverde was rated at a pretty high level, DVR just couldn't quiet adapt against the better opponents.

Tell me which game was laverde BOG against SA. o_O

I wouldn't go as far as underselling their potential as a speedy forward-mid or wingman. Brad Hill and Isaac Smith don't win the ball like Will Langford and Liam Shiels. Yet Viojo-Rainbow polled more votes than Laverde who went just eight picks ahead of him.

DVR's highlights are arguably as exciting as Laverde's who has a reputation as a potential matchwinner with upside.

Wingman Brayden Monk wins TAC Cup club Western Jets’ best and fairest award

It's been suggested that Carlton might have been more interested in DVR who would arguably be our best kick. Dillon hits bullets and attacks like Yarran who has sound decision making. Laverde's vision doesn't look as sharp. The following profile suggest that he's a good kick with both feet, but he can shank them.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/jayden-laverde-2014-draft-prospect.1071469/

I don't think either will be bad players but I think if either of them do make it at afl level it will be as HFF's. I just don't see enough top end speed or contested game to see them making it as midfielders. They do both have some good attributes but I think that our club had a very clear plan with our first two picks. I think it's great that we went for someone with some real pace and then DVR with an elite leg it's a great sigh for the type of footy that we want to play in 2015 and beyond.

I think you might want to cheek that. In the game where Vic metro beat SA DVR cut SA to pieces and was maybe BOG if not top 3
DVR 21 disposals 8 marks 2 contested 1 tackles 1 clearance 9 contested 12 uncontested 81% DE
Laverde 14 disposals 4 uncontested marks 2 tackles 2 clearances 11 uncontested 3 contested :rolleyes:71% DE
It was this game that made SA play a really hard tag on DVR the next time they played SA. DVR himself said that his last 2 games of champs where down but he preformed very well in the other games and won most consistent play for the Jets. In a team that had 5 players picked in the top 35 of this years draft :eek:.

Vic Metro 1.3 5.6 7.9 10.10 (70)
South Australia 4.1 5.6 8.8 11.13 (79)

GOALS
Vic Metro:
Laverde 3, Miller 2, Ahern, Moore, Payne, Castagna, De Goey
South Australia: Hone 4, Daniel 3, Carey 2, Read, Rose

BEST
Vic Metro:
Laverde, De Goey, Petracca, Ahern, Miller, Brayshaw
South Australia: Daniel, Hone, Neal-Bullen, Stretch, Rose, Carey

Laverde 3 goals, 3 assists, 7 score involvements and 91% efficiency.

BEST
Vic Metro:
Petracca, Laverde, Vickers-Willis, Maynard, Duggan, De Goey, Switkowski
Vic Country: Maishman, Howe, Lonie, Cordy, Nelson, Harnett, Capiron

BEST
Vic Metro: Laverde,
De Goey, Petracca, Ahern, Miller, Brayshaw

2 of Laverdes 5 games he was top 2 for his team.
2 of DVRs 5 games he was worst on field.

DVR vs SA - 7 possession game at 29% eff:eek:.
DVR vs WA - 5 possessions:eek:.

Nice try.

N
BEST
Vic Metro:
Petracca, Laverde, Vickers-Willis, Maynard, Duggan, De Goey, Switkowski
Vic Country: Maishman, Howe, Lonie, Cordy, Nelson, Harnett, Capiron

BEST
Vic Metro: Laverde,
De Goey, Petracca, Ahern, Miller, Brayshaw

2 of Laverdes 5 games he was top 2 for his team.
2 of DVRs 5 games he was worst on field.

DVR vs SA - 7 possession game at 29% eff:eek:.
DVR vs WA - 5 possessions:eek:.

Nice try.

My mistake thought you said game which Vic metro beat SA

There was definitely lots of hype at the time for Kavanagh, and probably more than for Laverde. I am more confident about Laverde being a good player than Kavanagh. In saying that, Kavanagh has shown little.

Because he Kicked Goals and is bit of a Human Highlight Machine

The excitment on your board for Kav was similar to Laverde. Lets hope it works out better.

Monfries has become a very good footballer - not sure why you would be happy to see him leave. Hibberd is a great upgrade on Houli.

As I recall Wild Bill you were livid with your club for passing on Laverde and posted as such. Assuming I am correct you are being rather hypocritical.

As I recall Wild Bill you were livid with your club for passing on Laverde and posted as such. Assuming I am correct you are being rather hypocritical.
Hypocritical? Just because I think he slid and will be good player there is a chance he becomes the next Kav.

I thought we made a mistake passing on Kav because his old man became an idiot at draft time - glad we passed - will lucky to be on your list at years end.

For every Fyfe there is 100 Kavs.

I get what your saying in regards to wanting BB HARKER, but you don't generally get U18 All Australian's so late in the piece hence why everyone was so surprised you guys overlooked Laverde.

We drafted AA centre half back Michael Talia with a second round pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back