The Worth of Priddis

Remove this Banner Ad

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Being in Western Australia, I watch quite a few Eagles game. And one thing that always struck me as strange was how much Priddis gets blasted by Eagles supporters, and I don't quite get it. His workmanship is amazing; work around packs is good, tackling is good, clearance work is good. His disposal is lacking granted, but at the same time, is he meant to be the number one midfielder?

I don't know, maybe people can help me. But he always seemed to be a great battler to me.

Being in Western Australia, I watch quite a few Eagles game. And one thing that always struck me as strange was how much Priddis gets blasted by Eagles supporters, and I don't quite get it. His workmanship is amazing; work around packs is good, tackling is good, clearance work is good. His disposal is lacking granted, but at the same time, is he meant to be the number one midfielder?

I don't know, maybe people can help me. But he always seemed to be a great battler to me.
That has been the problem, great in clearance contests but disposal is poor and decision making can be rushed. Also very one paced across the ground. At his best when he makes space for the cleaner plays and handballs to people in space.

That has been the problem, great in clearance contests but disposal is poor and decision making can be rushed. Also very one paced across the ground. At his best when he makes space for the cleaner plays and handballs to people in space.

But is that his fault? He seems to do the best with what he has. Reminds of me James Kelly alot actually, and I am sure if Kelly was number one midfielder for Geelong he wouldn't be looked upon as favourably by Cats supporters as he is now.

This generations Rowan Jones?

But is that his fault? He seems to do the best with what he has. Reminds of me James Kelly alot actually, and I am sure if Kelly was number one midfielder for Geelong he wouldn't be looked upon as favourably by Cats supporters as he is now.
High expectations considering the midfielders we have had throughout our history, been waiting for one of the young blokes to take the next step for a few years.

He's underrated, his kicking skills aren't great but his workrate is second to none.

Don't get the hate for him from West Coast supporters, I guess they've been spoilt by guys like Cousins, Judd and Kerr and expect him to be the same.

He'd get a game in most AFL teams midfield.

Just watch the first half today to see what's wrong with him, he's slower than a disabled snail and can't kick. One passage of play he got the ball in 10 metres of space and the bomber player caught up to him in about 2 seconds...... and then he kicked a grubber into the forward 50

It doesn't matter when the team is up by 5 goals but unless you are an idiot you can see why it frustrates eagles fans when they are losing

He gets the hate i suppose because he doesnt have the Pendlebury and Steve Johnson to compliment, and instead he has a few players who are awesome when hot, but terrible when cold.

Replace Luke Ball with Matt Priddis in our 2010 premiership team and i doubt it makes much a difference.

He doesnt have the star quality around him, his biggest problem isnt his fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah he reminds me of before our run of dominance, we had Cameron Ling as our number 1 midfielder and he copped a flogging from Geelong fans in the same way. Then others stepped up and we could use Ling as a tagger, which he was much better at.

Priddis gets the ball so much because the rest of the WC midfield arent getting the ball. He would be much more value as a clearance machine, not getting the ball outside.

The issue is the way the game is played doesn't favour the old school extractor type. If you are slow, and Priddis got overhauled by Daniher today, you need to have exceptional skills. Priddis does not.

Exceptional heart, good strength, his hands in close are average, his ability to one touch in close slightly above average. When people say he is just meant to be the bloke feeding it out... Well is Josh Kennedy just meant to kick goals? Or his he expected to chase and tackle etc.

Don't get me started on Priddis kicking and decision. How many opposition fans would be happy to straight swap one of their top three mids for Priddis?

How much better look with any other teams best one or two mids.

Love the guy but as an AFL footballer he is so so limited.

best kick in the league
safe_image.php

anyone see his effort when Zaharakis kicked the winning goal? Priddis antipated the handpass over the top, Zaha had to turn his back to goal to receive the ball while Priddis could have sprinted to Zaha and put pressure on the kick. Instead he just plodded and gave up on the run. Weak effort. Here it is for all to see.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-08-16/zaharakis-puts-the-bombers-in-front

Anyone who watched him closely would see that he is a WAFL tryer. Yes he can give 100%, but so can about 100 other blokes. Just an ineffectual player. Theres a reason why no teams tag him, ever.

Was excellent against the Pies.

Was terrible today but was still named 2nd best for the Eagles on the AFL website. One thing that annoys me about him (not that it is his fault) is how he gets named in our best players week in, week our regardless of his performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back