Autopsy Then and Now

Remove this Banner Ad

reading this article in the Herald sun today and thought it would be a good topic for discussion
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...sks-jon-anderson/story-fnp04d70-1227094705749
ANDO’S TOP THREE now players

2010:
NOW 1.
Dyson Heppell (drafted at 8)2. Tom Lynch (11) 3.Jack Darling (26).
Actual: David Swallow,Harley Bennell,Sam Day

2009: 1.Nat Fyfe (20) 2.Jack Gunston (29) 3.Daniel Talia (13).
Actual: Tom Scully, Jack Trengrove, Dustin Martin

2008: 1.Dayne Beams (29) 2.Steele Sidebottom (11) 3. Michael Hurley
Actual Jack Watts ,Nicholas Naitanui, Stephan Hill

2007: Patrick Dangerfield (10) Harry Taylor (17) Trent Cotchin (2). No. 1 Matthew Kreuzer
Actual Mathew Kreuzer ,Trent Cotchin ,Chris Masten

2006: Joel Selwood (7) Travis Boak (5) Robbie Gray (55).
Actual Bryce Gibbs ,Scott Gumbleton, Lachlan Hansen

2005: Scott Pendlebury (5) Marc Murphy (1) Josh Kennedy (WC, 4).
Actual Marc Murphy, Dale Thomas, Xavier Ellis

2004: Lance Franklin (5) Jarryd Roughead (2) Jordan Lewis (7). No. 1 Brett Deledio
Actual Brett Deledio, Jarrod Roughhead, Ryan Griffin

2003: David Mundy (19) Adam Cooney (1) Sam Fisher (55).
Actual Adam Cooney, Andrew Walker, Colin Sylver

2002: Brendon Goddard (1) Daniel Wells (2) Andrew Mackie (7).
Actual Brandon Goddard,Daniel Wells,Jarrod Brennen

2001: Chris Judd (3) Luke Hodge (1) Dane Swan (58).
Actual Luke Hodge, Luke Ball, Chris Judd

now seeing that first I want to say Ando you don't know s**t

2008 putting Hurley and Sidebottom in your now top 3 is wrong,
theirs quite a few players who are easily better then Sidebottom and Hurley
I would go with Jack Zielbell, Rory Slone, Hamish Harlett in 2008

honourable mentions to
Hamish Harlett
Luke Shuey
David Zaharakis
Daniel Hanndlebury

then down the order would be Sidebottom and Hurley.

what are your thought, is their any other year you can disagree with

My Top 3, players in bold are a difference of opinion with Jon Anderson:
2010: 1. Parker 2. Heppell 3. Swallow - Was Anderson even watching this year? Parker and Heppell are clear one and two, I have Parker as more damaging overhead and he hits the scoreboard more, but to not have Parker in the top 3? I'll call it an oversight. Also have Swallow ahead of Lynch and Darling.
2009: 1. Fyfe 2. Gunston 3. Talia - almost had Martin as he can be so damaging, and he burst onto the scene. But they're different players and Talia has been more consistent.
2008: 1. Beams 2. Hannebery 3. Hartlett - This is disgraceful journalism from Anderson, obviously he has a fetish for KPP (it shows throughout) but 2008 are clearly his worst selections. I have both Hartlett and Hannebery as well as Motlop, Sloane, Walters and Hill ALL ahead of Hurley and Sidearse.
2007: 1. Dangerfield 2. Cotchin 3. Rioli - I've been harsh leaving Taylor out here, but I just can't overlook Cyril. Again they're too different to compare but Cyril's a freak, his best is outstanding. (Giants fans could also make a case for Ward)
2006: 1. Selwood 2. Boak 3. J Riewoldt - Again, Gray is a decent selection, but I feel this is overly influenced by 2014. Jack may perturb some with his body language and outspoken nature, but the guy has 2 coleman medals and consistently kicks bags despite only playing 2 career finals.
2005: 1. Pendlebury 2. Murphy 3. Kennedy - Straightforward selection, I feel like Ryan Brabazon has a strong case though. Hard to leave him out.
2004: 1. Buddy 2. Roughie 3. Griff..ie - Lewis is again selected mainly on his 2014 season I feel, no question he's a star and the number 4 in my book, but Griffen's football from when he was drafted to 2013 (particularly 2012-13) was dazzling. Was unlucky not to win the Rising Star as well.
2003: 1. Cooney 2. Mundy 3. Fisher - No changes except I have Cooney 1, purely because from his first season until 2009 he was a genuine Rolls Royce, A-Grade superstar.
2002: 1. Goddard 2. J McVeigh 3. Mackie - This is another outrageous oversight from Anderson. I know I'm a bloods fan but having none of Parker, Hannebery or McVeigh as the top 3 in their draft class? Doesn't add up... McVeigh streets Mackie and Wells comfortably for mine.
2001: 1. Judd 2. Hodge 3. Swan - This was the easiest of the lot, apart from choosing the order. Could easily throw it around and make a case for any of these 3 freaks to be 1. Bartel and Mitchell are absolute stars as well, but you can only pick 3.

Appreciate any feedback, positive or negative.

Does luke parker even exist, its like nobody knows about him, Is he just a figment of my imagination? Just won a B+F for his Club which finished first on the ladder and made a grand final, s**t i would put him ahead of Heppell

Nailed it. Swap Talia/Gunston, But whatever floats your boat

..Yeah, Steele Sidebottom and Michael Hurley? get off it You have Naitanui who has won All Australian, Phil Davis a captain of his club, Hayden Ballantyne, Rory Sloane Michael Walters Dan Hannebery hamish Hartlett i would have over both Sidebottom and Hurley, Victorian media personality much?

Fair enough, Taylor is the best CHB in the business, Cotchin nearly won a brownlow, I would put Callan Ward third, But this is fair enough

The rest are proven players, His rating of the 2008 is horrific, Im not trying to s**t on hurley, Butthere has been much better preformed players then Hurley, Plus Sidebottom hasn't broken out into the player he promised to be, Still a very handy player, But even collingwood fans would be a bit bitter with him

Looks like we're in agreement on some points (Luke Parker must be a figment of both our imaginations:rolleyes:). You gave '07 the all clear, I know you don't want to sound biased, but as a Hawks fan you could have at least made a case for Cyril- I did!

Looks like we're in agreement on some points (Luke Parker must be a figment of both our imaginations:rolleyes:). You gave '07 the all clear, I know you don't want to sound biased, but as a Hawks fan you could have at least made a case for Cyril- I did!
Im not sure, Cyril is a fantastic player, but Cotchin was second in the brownlow, And quite a good players around that draft

Would take Cunnington or Martin over Talia but most of these are pretty good.

Noope.

I'm staggered anyone can have a top 3 for 2008 without Stephen Hill.
2010 he got tagged out by Brady Rawlings and it was big media news. Most people won't realise he's a much better and complete player and dismiss him as a soft outside player because of this for more years

I'm staggered anyone can have a top 3 for 2008 without Stephen Hill.

With Fremantle's elite midfield Hill is the first to be tagged. Hill on his own is far more dangerous than Fyfe, Mundy and Barlow. Opposition coaches know this except for the Bigfooty experts.

With Fremantle's elite midfield Hill is the first to be tagged. Hill on his own is far more dangerous than Fyfe, Mundy and Barlow. Opposition coaches know this except for the Bigfooty experts.
Can you tag Fyfe who will take his man forward?

You can stop Hill who is an outside mid and gut runner like Isaac Smith and Andrew Gaff who aren't tough ball winners.

Pies and Brodie Holland used to tag Camporeale instead of Ratten and Kouta who had more complete games as ball winners. They wanted to stop arguably our best kick and ball carrier. Harder to stop Judd than Murphy who draws the tag because he's a pacy goal kicking mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2010: 1. Parker 2. Heppell 3. Swallow - Was Anderson even watching this year? Parker and Heppell are clear one and two, I have Parker as more damaging overhead and he hits the scoreboard more, but to not have Parker in the top 3? I'll call it an oversight. Also have Swallow ahead of Lynch and Darling.
2006: 1. Selwood 2. Boak 3. J Riewoldt - Again, Gray is a decent selection, but I feel this is overly influenced by 2014. Jack may perturb some with his body language and outspoken nature, but the guy has 2 coleman medals and consistently kicks bags despite only playing 2 career finals.
2004: 1. Buddy 2. Roughie 3. Griff..ie - Lewis is again selected mainly on his 2014 season I feel, no question he's a star and the number 4 in my book, but Griffen's football from when he was drafted to 2013 (particularly 2012-13) was dazzling.

Not sure how you can criticise some selections as '2014 centric', and then put Parker at number 1 from his year, seemingly based on his 2014.

Plus Sidebottom hasn't broken out into the player he promised to be

Sidebottom's numbers 2012-2014 (66 games) - 25.73 disposals per game (33.99% contested, 1.68 kick-to-handball ratio), 0.71 goals per game, 0.50 goal assists per game, 2.91 inside 50s per game, 2.74 clearances per game, 3.71 tackles per game, 106.59 Champion Data Player Ranking Score average

What were you expecting him to be by now? Seems like people chronically underrate him.

2008: Naitanui, Beams, Hannebery
I would of had Nic Nat in my top 3 but feel his not quite their yet, he needs a few more good years to be ahead of Beams and Hannebery, it will come, next year looks bright for him, full preseason.

I would of had Nic Nat in my top 3 but feel his not quite their yet, he needs a few more good years to be ahead of Beams and Hannebery, it will come, next year looks bright for him, full preseason.
Who's he keeping out though? Hartlett? Hill? He's been better than them.

These sort of who-should-have-drafted-who lists are a bit of a mug's game, to be honest - because it assumes that player development is uniform across all clubs. We know that it's not the case, and that clubs like Hawthorn, Collingwood and Geelong have gotten far more out of their players in the last ten-fifteen years than the cellar dwellers. To say that various top picks were "wrong" selections is to ignore the possibility of what they could have been if at a better club.

I'm going to jump the gun a bit and to 2011/2012:

Then:
2011: J. Patton, S. Coniglio, D. Tyson
2012: L. Whitfield, J. O'Rourke, J. Plowman

Now: (in no order)
2011*: C. Wingard, T. Greene, S. Coniglio (although you could make a case for a bunch of others)
2012*: O. Wines, L. Whitfield, J. Macrae

*Jeremy Cameron was picked in the 2010 mini-draft but otherwise would have been eligible in 2011.***
**Jaeger O'Meara was picked in the 2011 mini-draft but otherwise would have been eligible in 2012.
***If GC hadn't entered the league in 2011, then Port would have won the spoon. If the AFL had kept the priority pick rules like earlier in the century, they would have had picks 1 and 2. J Cameron and C Wingard.

I'm going to jump the gun a bit and to 2011/2012:

Then:
2011: J. Patton, S. Coniglio, D. Tyson
2012: L. Whitfield, J. O'Rourke, J. Plowman

Now: (in no order)
2011*: C. Wingard, T. Greene, S. Coniglio (although you could make a case for a bunch of others)
2012*: O. Wines, L. Whitfield, J. Macrae

*Jeremy Cameron was picked in the 2010 mini-draft but otherwise would have been eligible in 2011.***
**Jaeger O'Meara was picked in the 2011 mini-draft but otherwise would have been eligible in 2012.
***If GC hadn't entered the league in 2011, then Port would have won the spoon. If the AFL had kept the priority pick rules like earlier in the century, they would have had picks 1 and 2. J Cameron and C Wingard.
I don't think Cameron was rated high enough pre-draft to be pick one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back