HappyChappy35

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
Title is fairly self explanatory, I'll start off.
I don't understand why so many people advertise parties on Facebook. They must live under a rock to have not heard the stories about gatecrashing as a result of openly inviting people on the internet to parties. It's simply asking for trouble.
On top of this, why do they complain when trouble eventually brews and the cops show up? Advertising parties on FB occurs very regularly from my experience, just don't understand how that many people can be so ignorant and shortsighted.
Anyhow, continue...

The obsession with HD. I have a pretty big LCD screen, and sure stuff looks a bit better in HD, but I am not going to freak out every time a station screens a sporting event in SD. Maybe it's because I grew up watching sport on a little CRT screen but it really doesn't detract from my enjoyment of it.

Why Australian governments spend hundreds of millions of dollars designing swipe systems for public transport like Myki that have all sorts of problems and cost blowouts in development, instead of just picking the best one from somewhere else in the world and using that.

The criteria that art judges use. I read an article the other day about a piece that was shortlisted for a major British sculpture prize that was essentially just the artist's unmade bed. Literally, she got out of bed one day and submitted it unaltered for the prize. I mean, I get that art is often abstract and I don't expect to understand it all but surely there should be some degree of artistic intent behind its creation before you can call it that.

The criteria that art judges use. I read an article the other day about a piece that was shortlisted for a major British sculpture prize that was essentially just the artist's unmade bed. Literally, she got out of bed one day and submitted it unaltered for the prize. I mean, I get that art is often abstract and I don't expect to understand it all but surely there should be some degree of artistic intent behind its creation before you can call it that.

The obsession with HD. I have a pretty big LCD screen, and sure stuff looks a bit better in HD, but I am not going to freak out every time a station screens a sporting event in SD. Maybe it's because I grew up watching sport on a little CRT screen but it really doesn't detract from my enjoyment of it.

Why Australian governments spend hundreds of millions of dollars designing swipe systems for public transport like Myki that have all sorts of problems and cost blowouts in development, instead of just picking the best one from somewhere else in the world and using that.

It was Tracey Emin, nominated for the Turner Prize, which is a notorious s**t stirring award. If the Daily Mail doesn't get itself up in arms about the winner annually, you aren't trying hard enough. I would suggest that the criteria for the Turner Award would be substantially different to others.

Emin-My-Bed.jpg

I kind of like it myself.

That's cool, but I still don't understand what the criteria is. If it doesn't have to have been created with artistic intention, then surely you can call anything art. If so, how do they decide what's nomination-worthy and what isn't? You could chuck any old object in there.

That's cool, but I still don't understand what the criteria is. If it doesn't have to have been created with artistic intention, then surely you can call anything art. If so, how do they decide what's nomination-worthy and what isn't? You could chuck any old object in there.
That old chestnut, how many Turner Prizes have you won?
I've always thought of art as being something striking that creates a discussion. Be that an installation, a portrait, a book, a sculpture or a David Gower cover drive.

Would you consider this as art?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_13

On HD- Blu-ray is another thing I just don't get. DVDs became popular due to the fact they were a significant improvement on VHS, however what does Blu-ray have that a DVD doesn't?
Absolutely agree on the other two, art such as that is a massive w@nk and essentially a pretentious way of saying 'I cbf creating anything half-decent, so let's just throw some randoms odds and ends together and call it art'.
Another thing I don't get- why some young chicks feel the need to cake themselves in makeup.

That old chestnut, how many Turner Prizes have you won?
I've always thought of art as being something striking that creates a discussion. Be that an installation, a portrait, a book, a sculpture or a David Gower cover drive.

Would you consider this as art?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_13
I'm not really criticising, I'm genuinely curious.

I mean, using your own criteria, would that bed have been considered striking and created a discussion if someone somewhere hadn't deemed it 'art' and worthy of display? Surely not, since you can see similar beds in millions of girls' bedrooms every morning, and the only discussion they provoke is 'clean up your room'. If such an object only becomes art once deemed as such then what criteria do the judges use to select it in the first place?

Or if everything is art (or art is solely a subjective and undefinable concept) then surely the idea of having a competition at all is inherently ridiculous?

I'm not really ragging on conceptual art (a lot of which I quite like), it's just something in life that I genuinely don't understand.

Facebook parties I'm invited to are usually set to private/invite only. And they're not hosted in dero suburbs.

Having a fair few people on my friends list from Corio and Norlane may explain why it is so commonplace on my FB (mind you, I don't live in a bogan suburb and never have).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me of The Other Guys when Marky Mark goes to an art exhibition and puts his drink on a coffee table that was actually an art centrepiece.

The way I judge art is if it's something I could do, it can't be any good.
I don't know. The line is a bit blurry for me. I appreciate stuff that makes me think. Generally if something is intended by the artist to convey an idea, and it does, and that idea has an effect on people, then I can accept that's art even if I don't 'get' it. Its form doesn't matter too much.

That said, I do have a bit of a problem with stuff that doesn't really seem to display any sense of artistic intent. If art is self-expression then I expect to see some sort of purpose by and conscious influence of the artist in its creation. Someone rolling out of their bed and then retrospectively saying 'that's art' doesn't really seem right. Maybe if you put it in a museum then it will convey an idea by virtue of the fact that it being there will make people think about it, but where is the artistic intention? Merely in the decision to display it? Seems a bit too cute and self-fulfilling, really.

I acknowledge that those two views are conflicting, and I think that's a good thing. Art should challenge people's preconceptions. The thing I don't understand is that if you're prepared to embrace a view of art so all-encompassing as to accept someone's unmade bed, then what business do you have judging it at all? i.e. if you can accept nearly anything as art based solely on subjective interpretation, how can you ascribe a meaningful relative value to it via a competition?

however what does Blu-ray have that a DVD doesn't?

Bluray is coming into its own now larger panels are becoming affordable.

It also had lossless audio.

I wouldn't want to have to go back to sd and lossy audio now that I've experienced bluray.

A lot of people have smaller panels and just listen through tv speakers or sub par home theatre so don't hear and see the benefits.

The Art thing.. well... I like modern art. People who say "I could do that!" aren't fully understanding what it is. Yes, you could do it. But you could also do a traditional oil-and-canvas of a field. It doesn't mean that your attempt will be aesthetically pleasing.

Modern art isn't supposed to evoke specific feelings. It's almost subjective. Whereas traditional art has a degree of subjectivity, but the meaning is fairly universal.

I think that bed piece is pretty awful, though. It's lifeless and hollow, and pretty self conscious.

Bluray is coming into its own now larger panels are becoming affordable.

It also had lossless audio.

I wouldn't want to have to go back to sd and lossy audio now that I've experienced bluray.

A lot of people have smaller panels and just listen through tv speakers or sub par home theatre so don't hear and see the benefits.

True, but the improvement on DVDs is only very slight. I can't see it overtaking the DVD format anyhow- with Smart TVs becoming more popular and affordable, the future of watching shows/movies lies in streaming content straight to your telly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back