Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People paying for manicures. If someone told me 20 years ago that they are going to open a bussiness where people pay good money to have their nails painted I would of laughed in their face. now we see them everywhere.

That's why a can't agree with the often commentated theory that a lot of Australia are doing it tough. Paying to get your fingernails painted FFS

People paying for manicures. If someone told me 20 years ago that they are going to open a bussiness where people pay good money to have their nails painted I would of laughed in their face. now we see them everywhere.

That's why a can't agree with the often commentated theory that a lot of Australia are doing it tough. Paying to get your fingernails painted FFS
You could say the same thing about haircuts, and a range of other beauty options. Why not extend it to car washes. Singling out manicures just seems odd.

Both were never acts I took much interest in, but my younger brother lapped up all that kind of stuff in high school (Grinspoon, RHCP, Powderfinger, Eskimo Joe, etc.), and therefore I gained a feel for their most palatable and least palatable albums.

Lol, sounds just like Year 8 and 9 for me.

Lol, sounds just like Year 8 and 9 for me.
I think he was about that age, Year 8-9 sounds about right. I think he had already moved on to Joy Division by the time he finished Year 10, and was playing bass. The Editors debut was a big 'change in taste' album for him from memory, in early Year 10. He quickly fed into the likes of Interpol & Joy Division after that point.

As the older sibling, he definitely fed off of a lot of my own music taste at the time, but he certainly gravitated more towards MOR radio-rock and later post-punk revival.

Last edited:
Because all you need to do is paint a 1cm squared surface 10 times. I've tried cutting my own hair, it doesn't work too well.

Try painting your own nails. It's harder to get right than it looks. Would be much easier to have someone else doing it for you, perfectly.

People pay for everything these days. FFS, people pay for dog walkers. I get if you're a high flying lawyer then it is economic to pay someone $25/hr to walk your dog rathert than give up an hour of your own time which could earn you $500, but if you don't want to spend time with your own dog then why have it in the first place?

Things in life I don't understand: people who post incessant nonsense on social media despite consistenly getting no likes/shares/comments etc. You get attention whores who crave likes and 'U OK beb?' comments, so I understand them even I think sending them all to a work camp isn't the worst idea ever, and you get people who post obscure/interesting s**t that appeals to some/many so I get them also, but I just don't get people who post nothingness over and over again. Who are you talking to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People pay for everything these days. FFS, people pay for dog walkers. I get if you're a high flying lawyer then it is economic to pay someone $25/hr to walk your dog rathert than give up an hour of your own time which could earn you $500, but if you don't want to spend time with your own dog then why have it in the first place?

Things in life I don't understand: people who post incessant nonsense on social media despite consistenly getting no likes/shares/comments etc. You get attention whores who crave likes and 'U OK beb?' comments, so I understand them even I think sending them all to a work camp isn't the worst idea ever, and you get people who post obscure/interesting s**t that appeals to some/many so I get them also, but I just don't get people who post nothingness over and over again. Who are you talking to?

U OK beb? Inbox me.

Domino's Pizza called me to advise there'll be a delay with my delivery, as someone stole the pizza out of the carry box on the back of the delivery driver's scooter as he was waiting at the traffic lights.

misc-jackie-chan.svg

That was yours? Cheers bro.

Why are people going so nuts over this Avengers trailer being out, and acting like it's some limited time only thing that must be seen NOW? I mean, it's just a trailer, not the actual movie.

As a general comment, I never knew anyone who read comic books or graphic novels when I was growing up, and franchises like Batman almost (unfortunately, as I love Batman) died for good during my childhood in the '90s. Now, out of nowhere, it seems like every second person in my age group or a bit younger is obsessed with these comic book and graphic novel film adaptations.

Foo Fighters.

I'm being subjected to hundred-syllables-a-second, ad-flogging, sell-out commercial radio and far out, how bad are these pricks? This new song of their follows that same formula all their other ones did. It just starts with this guitar line, goes into some drum pattern I cannot even recall such is its blandness, while it culminates in this wall of utensil-rock distortion with Dave Grohl gravelly-yelling some cliche. Hasn't this been done before? Doesn't Taylor Swift change vocal melodies, arrangements, song structures, and instrumentation? I know bogans like saccharine alcohol like Jim Beam and piss-water beer like Carlton Cold, but jesus, how can they see any of the Foo Fighters stuff as good?

It is just shocking stuff. Dave Grohl is so lame. Kurt Cobain would be turning in his grave if he heard of the kind of album titles his band's side project would be spewing out... what a tainted world we inhabit. People make Nickleback jokes but Foo Fighter (and Coldplay) jokes should be on that same level. Just pontification of what's true n real n gritty n emotional by guys who's true, real, gritty, and emotional is coke at Charlize Theron's and being turned down a Calvin Klein model and settling for a YSL one. Our culture is gutted
If you think our culture is gutted because of the FF, well, I just dunno.

The FF might be a bit bland and generic, but they rock out, they are proper musos and they are generally positive. What's gutting our culture are parasites like Redfoo and Robin Thicke.

Footy related but, of the snippets of various games I've seen over the years, I never understood how, in 3 or 4 different highlights, Nathan Eagleton managed to find himself tackled.

Never been a Doggies or Port Adelaide fan but that would frustrate me the most.

If you think our culture is gutted because of the FF, well, I just dunno.

The FF might be a bit bland and generic, but they rock out, they are proper musos and they are generally positive. What's gutting our culture are parasites like Redfoo and Robin Thicke.
Proper music by proper lads with proper haircuts.

Dave Grohl is as contrived, media and money-obsessed and fuelled, and as douchey as Robin Thicke and Redfoo. At least the latter realises he's a self-parody (or am I giving him too much credit?).

Also superhero movies really suck. They have no originality, the plots are corny (I realise that's the whole comic schtick), the actors are employed purely for ogling, and they're the kind of things autistics (yeah yeah) and little kids enjoy. They're like the 'serious' version of Adam Sandler: s**t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back