Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Every time I buy something (retail) the sales girls are so nice, helpfull and are always chatty. I wonder if they are genuinely that nice:
A) All the time, working or not
B) Just to customers
C) Just to me*

*Probably not C

People who spend a ton of money on bathroom or kitchen renovations.

I know you can always want to have nice stuff and aspire to have better things, but as long as it's clean, everything works (particularly with plumbing, water pressure, drainage, etc.), and it's a relatively neutral, non-garish colour, what's the difference?

I know you can always want to have nice stuff and aspire to have better things, but as long as it's clean, everything works (particularly with plumbing, water pressure, drainage, etc.), and it's a relatively neutral, non-garish colour, what's the difference?
If they have money to spend, might as well do it.

My bathroom really needs doing, it's just so damn expensive..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+1 for not liking in between weather. Summer over here is running late this year, but once it finally hits you know it will be hot and dry for months on end. Jumpers, long pants and shoes can be packed away until April.

I think it's one of the reasons I prefer Melbourne in the winter. Sure it's **** off cold and rains all the time, but it's consistently s**t so you plan for it. Melbourne summer just takes the piss. One minute you're freezing your arse off, then it's 40 degrees and everyone goes into armageddon mode, then it's low 20s and drizzle.

Incorrect.

I suppose I just see those spaces as more utility areas than anything else. There gets a point IMO where expenditure is just excessive/unnecessary.

Feel the same about cars.

I know you can always want to have nice stuff and aspire to have better things, but as long as it's clean, everything works (particularly with plumbing, water pressure,drainage, etc.), and it's a relatively neutral, non-garish colour, what's the
difference?

They are areas of a house where you can get bang for your buck. You can't do too much with a bedroom. Bathroom and kitchen updates aren't too expensive to and add value when you sell.

They are areas of a house where you can get bang for your buck. You can't do too much with a bedroom. Bathroom and kitchen updates aren't too expensive to and add value when you sell.
A new bathroom or kitchen not expensive, are you serious? I think my new kitchen last year cost over 8K, even doing my own electrical.

A new bathroom or kitchen not expensive, are you serious? I think my new kitchen last year cost over 8K, even doing my own electrical.
So your kitchen is something like this now

giphy.gif

Not expensive in terms of the return it can get.
Yeah but that would depend on stuff like the type of house, area and the market or whatever. The kitchen just had to be done at my place and was money well spent and would get at least most of it back if selling. But imo doing up the bathroom would definitely cost more than what it would add in actual value, plus as the builder said the costs can go up a lot once you start removing tiles and seeing what damage may have been done underneath by stuff like dry rot or whatever.

Maybe. I've seen a few people do it relatively cheaply and see good returns. Helps with a quicker sale too if you have things updated. Like I said, they are rooms where you can make a significant alteration - unlike a bedroom.
Yeah I get what you are saying, especially with the kitchen, even as a bloke it's one of first thing I would look at when buying a house.

For me though it's only a small basic house in the country that's probably only worth about 180k, so spending 7k on a bathroom is an overall a far bigger consideration % wise than say someone trying to update a bathroom on 600k+ house in Perth.

when you're trying to suss out what to buy a co-worker for xmas, she says she "will be happy with whatever you buy" for her, you try to specifically ask about certain gift ideas and get the response "don't buy me that".

argh!

lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back