Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who spend a ton of money on bathroom or kitchen renovations.

I know you can always want to have nice stuff and aspire to have better things, but as long as it's clean, everything works (particularly with plumbing, water pressure, drainage, etc.), and it's a relatively neutral, non-garish colour, what's the difference?

Renovation can often raise the value of a house substantially. My house in South Gippsland I paid 180k for and did about 20k renovations and it's now worth about 250k.

Frankly I'd never heard of her. The article said something about 'countless stories in gossip mags and celebrity shows' (2 things I literally never watch/read). But after seeing that video I approve. Brightening up the night of many a random out and about going by the reactions.

Yeah I get what you are saying, especially with the kitchen, even as a bloke it's one of first thing I would look at when buying a house.

For me though it's only a small basic house in the country that's probably only worth about 180k, so spending 7k on a bathroom is an overall a far bigger consideration % wise than say someone trying to update a bathroom on 600k+ house in Perth.

I did my bathroom and laundry on my house in Perth. Probably cost $5k and has made a huge difference to how the place looks, and is a lot more modern and user friendly. No idea if I'd added any real resale value by doing it, but it has made the place better for me to live in. Kitchen is next, could easily spend $50k+ (if I had it) but it would be massive overcapitalisation. You need to spend smart IMO.

I did my bathroom and laundry on my house in Perth. Probably cost $5k and has made a huge difference to how the place looks, and is a lot more modern and user friendly. No idea if I'd added any real resale value by doing it, but it has made the place better for me to live in. Kitchen is next, could easily spend $50k+ (if I had it) but it would be massive overcapitalisation. You need to spend smart IMO.
Other thing in the country compared to Perth is tradespeople are probably about 20% more expensive..

I did spend 20k on a large carport to replace the one falling down on the side and to also build a veranda, expensive but it was a quality job and it actually fits in so well it looks like it was part of the original house built 50 years ago. Not sure if I'd get it back in value but looks so much better and really helps shielding the northern sun.

Melbourne nightlife. How is it so raved about? Stopped off for a couple on my way home about (9-930) and everywhere in the City was stone dead. Seems nothing kicks off till about midnight. Assuming people want to let their hair down on Friday/Saturday nights for a few drinks/perhaps some dancing/listen to a good gig, bit of socailising why turn it into an endurance test where nothing (bands etc don't start till 11). I think Melbourne in trying to be seen as a world city that never sleeps actually cuts its nose off to spite its face.

Last edited:
Melbourne nightlife. How is it so raved about? Stopped off for a couple on my way home about (9-930) and everywhere in the City was stone dead. Seems nothing kicks off till about midnight. Assuming people want to let their hair down on Friday/Saturday nights for a few drinks/perhaps some dancing and a bit of romancing why the fu*& turn it into an endurance test where nothing (bands etc don't start till 11). I think Melbourne in trying to be seen as a world city that never sleeps actually cuts its nose off to spite its face.

Most decent/interesting places to go to after dark don't really get going until 11-midnight. Not sure why it's the case, but seems to be the way of things. Maybe to keep people interested and keep a crowd right until close?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont understand why anyone would put in all the hours of training and study to become a public servant (teacher, ambo, cop etc) and then turn around and whinge about their pay packet.

Ambo's have just secured a very good deal for the next 2 years but I have no doubt they will be back, cap in hand, once that deal is up.

Do they deserve more? I think so, but anyone who signs up as a paramedic in the next 2 years thinking they will be "well off" has rocks in their head...

Most decent/interesting places to go to after dark don't really get going until 11-midnight. Not sure why it's the case, but seems to be the way of things. Maybe to keep people interested and keep a crowd right until close?

Its because drink pricing has introduced a culture of "pre drinks".

People knock off work, go home and get dressed for a night out. Then everyone meets up at someone's house to drink for a couple of hours at a decent price.

Once everyone is boozed up they load into the cars and head to the clubs.

When a bottle of spirits is $30-$40, compared to a single drink costing around $10-$15 at a club, its easy to justify drinking before going out. Not to mention the insane entry fees some of these places charge...

I dont understand why anyone would put in all the hours of training and study to become a public servant (teacher, ambo, cop etc) and then turn around and whinge about their pay packet.

Ambo's have just secured a very good deal for the next 2 years but I have no doubt they will be back, cap in hand, once that deal is up.

Do they deserve more? I think so, but anyone who signs up as a paramedic in the next 2 years thinking they will be "well off" has rocks in their head...
Teachers are the worst for complaining, so many of them are rubbish in the public system and they get about 10 weeks a year on paid holidays.

Couldn't agree more. It's always the same people that are stupid enough not to do some research and find out how much a certain job pays before applying for it that are always whinging for more money.

Don't like it? Quit and get another job. The world always needs more cleaners and cab drivers

Teachers are the worst for complaining, so many of them are rubbish in the public system and they get about 10 weeks a year on paid holidays.
There is a thing of absolute beauty in the fact that you two are questioning the intelligence of said professions & suggesting that the reason people get into these professions is to be "well off".

It's pretty clear to most on BigFooty who has "rock in their head" here.

But kudos for your original posts guys. We are all proud of your brilliance.

There is a thing of absolute beauty in the fact that you two are questioning the intelligence of said professions & suggesting that the reason people get into these professions is to be "well off".

It's pretty clear to most on BigFooty who has "rock in their head" here.

But kudos for your original posts guys. We are all proud of your brilliance.

I think the original point was why get into a public service field which doesn't pay well then complain about it.

I'm not one to get into teacher, nurse, cop etc. bashing but you know going in that it's not a ticket to riches. If earning big is your motivation then you should be in a different gield.

Salary, while important, is a bit overrated as an indicator of wealth. It's what you do with that salary in terms of investments that creates wealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back