Pets Things that please me

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as we started dating properly, though, I dropped the ball.

The first thing I cooked after it was 'official' was a meatball tagine and instead of two teaspoons of cayenne pepper, I accidentally put two tablespoons.

It was borderline inedible.

Both my grandmothers were like that, I used to hate it when I had to eat their slop.
Both my grandmothers loved cooking and were great at it, so I'm lucky like that.

My remaining grandfather, well, the less said about his efforts, the better. The time I stayed over there when I was 14 and he gave me no-name tuna on toast for dinner lives on infamously in family lore.

Both my grandmothers loved cooking and were great at it, so I'm lucky like that.

My remaining grandfather, well, the less said about his efforts, the better. The time I stayed over there when I was 14 and he gave me no-name tuna on toast for dinner lives on infamously in family lore.
To be fair to them both, they came of age during the depression, and then had to endure a war. They may have had more important things to do than perfecting their coq au vin.

To be fair to them both, they came of age during the depression, and then had to endure a war. They may have had more important things to do than perfecting their coq au vin.
Look, they could have at least perfected their gruel with dripping!

Cooking and baking are a great stress relief for me. Thankfully, I haven't really ever had anything catastrophic happen. I was too impatient as a kid for my mum or grandma to be able to teach me anything then; so it's all been trial and error over the last decade or so. I don't do anything too fancy, but I enjoy what I do anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cooked swordfish and veggies tonight. Best meal I've had this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mother is a great example of a self-taught cook.

Sensational cook. When she left home at 17 however...

Her favourite story is the time she boiled, yes boiled, a lamb chop for dinner. She reckoned it was tougher than kelp when she attempted to eat it.

All the women in my family have been excellent home cooks, nothing masterchef like, but really tasty, filling, heart food. My dad is one dimensional, makes a great pasta but literally nothing else (no, we aren't Italian). Being a DIDO worker spending months living by himself at a time I thought he might have learned a bit more over his life, but nope, Just that pasta.

I reckon I cook a mean steak, stir fry, or deep fried things, but outside of that pretty useless. I take pride in my simple man food and doing it exceptionally. A mate came around the other night and cooked some chops, now I don't wanna sound ungrateful, but I really wish I had cooked them.

Is there a social change happening in kitchens where men not only do a good deal of the cooking, but enjoy it?

I like cooking but rarely seem to get the time to cook something too sophisticated . It's usually 7 by the time I'm ready to cook by which time it's too late and I'm too buggered so I usually end up doing something like steak and veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back