Society & Culture Things that s**t me part X- The Tenth edition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rugby world cup is good, pity it's on at such a bad time. But I feel as though general international Rugby is a bit like ODI Cricket, no one really cares about the result and then Super Rugby doesn't seem that big in Australia.

Always laugh when NRL people call Rugby League 'the greatest game in the world', it's not even the best Rugby code. Stay down and you get a penalty and also the refs go out of their way to make sure the penalty count is roughly even. Also, I find that the ball handling skills are of a far higher standard in Union.

Rugby world cup is good, pity it's on at such a bad time. But I feel as though general international Rugby is a bit like ODI Cricket, no one really cares about the result and then Super Rugby doesn't seem that big in Australia.

Always laugh when NRL people call Rugby League 'the greatest game in the world', it's not even the best Rugby code. Stay down and you get a penalty and also the refs go out of their way to make sure the penalty count is roughly even. Also, I find that the ball handling skills are of a far higher standard in Union.

The Rugby World Cup is a major event, I was over in the UK in 1999 for the RWC and went to this game.

One of the most amazing live events I've been to, Janie De Beer kicked a penalty from the sideline to take it to extra time and the ground was buzzing

Then in extra time Larkham kicked a field goal from about the 50m line and he'd never kicked a field goal in his life.

Epic semi final in front of a packed Twickenham and England weren't even involved.

I went to a Rugby League World Cup game between England and Australia at Twickenham about a year later and it was about half full, no atmosphere.

It's a shame with the RWC this year the games are on at such a shitty time here as it's a great advertisement for the sport.

I went to a Rugby League World Cup game between England and Australia at Twickenham about a year later and it was about half full, no atmosphere.

It's a shame with the RWC this year the games are on at such a shitty time here as it's a great advertisement for the sport.

Yeah, RLWC is up there with the Netball world cup with the worst competition in world sport. Tempted to record the game tonight but don't think i'd ever get around to watching it.

I remember a kid we befriended who moved to town from NSW, was a big rugby fan.

One lunchtime, he decides to bring his ball and we play rugby instead of footy. Now I don't know if we were doing it wrong, but he cracked it, told us we were playing the wrong rugby, took his ball and left to go to the library and play pokemon or something.

We were standing around scratching our heads, before bursting in to laughter.

What does a kid do at home with a rugby ball? Or even 2 kids?

An AFL fan can go outside and kick the footy by themselves or kick to kick with someone else.

What do league and union fans do? Throw it backwards to no one?
I guess they could practice drop kicks and field goals, or a penalty???

An AFL fan can go outside and kick the footy by themselves or kick to kick with someone else.

Always wondered this!!!!!

I remember a kid we befriended who moved to town from NSW, was a big rugby fan.

One lunchtime, he decides to bring his ball and we play rugby instead of footy. Now I don't know if we were doing it wrong, but he cracked it, told us we were playing the wrong rugby, took his ball and left to go to the library and play pokemon or something.

We were standing around scratching our heads, before bursting in to laughter.

:D, similar at my primary school except no one had any idea what they were doing and 'Rugby' resembled American Football more than any other sport (kids were throwing it forward and overarm).

I imagine there will be some bandwagon rugby fans now that Australia have beaten England in the Rugby World Cup.

When we hosted the RWC here in 2003 you would see all these D/H bandwagon Wallabies supporters wearing their brand new Wallabies jumpers.

Most of them wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between a scrum or a line out little loan the difference between a ruck or a maul.

You can kick a rugby ball to each other but you need to kick torps rather than drop punts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine there will be some bandwagon rugby fans now that Australia have beaten England in the Rugby World Cup.

When we hosted the RWC here in 2003 you would see all these D/H bandwagon Wallabies supporters wearing their brand new Wallabies jumpers.

Most of them wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between a scrum or a line out little loan the difference between a ruck or a maul.

You can kick a rugby ball to each other but you need to kick torps rather than drop punts.
But that doesn't really reflect the sport...

"little loan"

giphy.gif

Rugby Union is a lot more technical than Rugby League, but the latter is a much tougher game. Just the sheer amount of tackling is brutal.

Union has also disappeared a long way up its own arse. Some of the games border on unwatchable given the amount of penalties and how good defences have become. If you want to watch good rugby union go and see Sydney club rugby. It's a high standard, one of the best amateur or semi-pro competitions in the world, but compared to the Super Rugby and internationsls the defensive lines aren't as good, the players aren't quite as fit so they break down even further and there isn't near as much kicking. The games are much more free flowing and entertaining to watch.

I much prefer watching League to Union at professiona level. There's not much to rugby league, but it's a brutally tough sport and the skills that some of the guys can put on are spectacular.

The pickup from David Mead in the above video at about the 2 minute mark is as good as you'll see in any sport. You don't have to like rugby league to acknowledge how difficult that is to pull off.

Rugby Union is a lot more technical than Rugby League, but the latter is a much tougher game. Just the sheer amount of tackling is brutal.

Union has also disappeared a long way up its own arse. Some of the games border on unwatchable given the amount of penalties and how good defences have become. If you want to watch good rugby union go and see Sydney club rugby. It's a high standard, one of the best amateur or semi-pro competitions in the world, but compared to the Super Rugby and internationsls the defensive lines aren't as good, the players aren't quite as fit so they break down even further and there isn't near as much kicking. The games are much more free flowing and entertaining to watch.

I much prefer watching League to Union at professiona level. There's not much to rugby league, but it's a brutally tough sport and the skills that some of the guys can put on are spectacular.

The pickup from David Mead in the above video at about the 2 minute mark is as good as you'll see in any sport. You don't have to like rugby league to acknowledge how difficult that is to pull off.

Yeah I agree that rugby league is tougher in terms of tackling, in union you don't tackle one on one as much especially in the forwards.

Not sure I agree that league is better to watch, I find it pretty predictable at times compared to union but union isn't as good to watch as it used to be since it went fully professional with stronger defences.

The Wallabies and quite a few other professional RU teams actually hire rugby league guys to teach them the best ways to tackle and how to maintain defensive structures.

It's all very structured these days, even in Perth first grade where I was playing several years ago every forward had designated positions where to stand around the rucks, you couldn't just all mill about willy nilly like the old days.

Yeah I agree that rugby league is tougher in terms of tackling, in union you don't tackle one on one as much especially in the forwards.

Not sure I agree that league is better to watch, I find it pretty predictable at times compared to union but union isn't as good to watch as it used to be since it went fully professional with stronger defences.

The Wallabies and quite a few other professional RU teams actually hire rugby league guys to teach them the best ways to tackle and how to maintain defensive structures.

It's all very structured these days, even in Perth first grade where I was playing several years ago every forward had designated positions where to stand around the rucks, you couldn't just all mill about willy nilly like the old days.
Which is why there's been hype about how the Ipswich Jets play the game.
There's little to no predictability in how they played today.Their style is unlike a style ever seen before.
Was a breath of fresh air watching them this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back