Society & Culture Things that s**t me part X- The Tenth edition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude, you work in a retail store and watch Santa movies all day.

Spare me the platitudes.

Hey now I work two jobs (data entry/office admin guru in the morning). The retail job is a thing on the side to stop me wasting all of the free time I had (this was a year ago, I stayed there because 1) the money is amazing considering the workload is minimal and 2) it's like being paid to exercise).

Teacher shouldn't even bother with supplying the grade, just leave a percentage. The grade is created during reporting when the assessments and student responses are compared with the guidelines in the subject area in the Australian Curriculum. C=satisfactory, B=highly satisfactory, A=excellent (performing at a year level above).

If the scope of the assessment was below the threshold for the Australian Curriculum in Year 9, then she cannot get an A no matter how well she did. This is quite common in streamed classes (particularly Maths), where a student can get 70% in all their assessments (set at a Year 8 level for Year 10's) but still end up on a D overall under the Australian Curriculum.
I was explaining this earlier, it's a massive problem because parents don't understand how it works. Particularly in schools such as where I teach (high rate of English as an additional language) it's almost impossible trying to explain to them that C is good.

I was explaining this earlier, it's a massive problem because parents don't understand how it works. Particularly in schools such as where I teach (high rate of English as an additional language) it's almost impossible trying to explain to them that C is good.

Is this the same across the country?

We're in Qld.

Unsure. I'd say so with the national curriculum.

We've moved from WA to Qld, and I'm not seeing much of a 'National Curriculum' at all at this stage.

The policy is common sense and well overdue, but its implementation seems to be lagging. Possibly because of the rural nature of our area, which really is no excuse.

We've moved from WA to Qld, and I'm not seeing much of a 'National Curriculum' at all at this stage.

The policy is common sense and well overdue, but its implementation seems to be lagging. Possibly because of the rural nature of our area, which really is no excuse.
Its actually bordering on farcical. I received an email a few days ago stating...
"AusVELS" as a term to describe the mandated curriculum in Victoria has, thankfully, reached its use-by date and has been replaced by "The Victorian Curriculum F-10".
What that means, who the hell knows.

Its not a school problem or a teacher problem. It's a governmental policy and planning problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its actually bordering on farcical. I received an email a few days ago stating...
"AusVELS" as a term to describe the mandated curriculum in Victoria has, thankfully, reached its use-by date and has been replaced by "The Victorian Curriculum F-10".
What that means, who the hell knows.

Its not a school problem or a teacher problem. It's a governmental policy and planning problem.
I mentioned earlier that my early years at school were spread across three states, and some sort of national curriculum would have been great. When we moved to Perth from Melbourne, they didn't want to take my brother who had already been at school for almost a year, and my folks had to really push to get them to take him. Then a year later when we moved to Adelaide they wanted to put us in year levels where we were being taught things that we'd already been taught. It was a shambles.

School just s**t me in general, everybody says it is the best years of your life, what a joke.

So far the best, well not for me personally, but the opportunity to experience the "best years of your life" are 18 to 21ish, finished school, free time, maybe still living with parents so have disposable income, going out with mates, getting drunk off 4 drinks cause there's no alcohol tolerance built up yet, and being merry.

School just s**t me in general, everybody says it is the best years of your life, what a joke.

So far the best, well not for me personally, but the opportunity to experience the "best years of your life" are 18 to 21ish, finished school, free time, maybe still living with parents so have disposable income, going out with mates, getting drunk off 4 drinks cause there's no alcohol tolerance built up yet, and being merry.

That's what you are meant to do in Year 11 and Year12, no wonder why you didn't have fun.

Teacher shouldn't even bother with supplying the grade, just leave a percentage. The grade is created during reporting when the assessments and student responses are compared with the guidelines in the subject area in the Australian Curriculum. C=satisfactory, B=highly satisfactory, A=excellent (performing at a year level above).

If the scope of the assessment was below the threshold for the Australian Curriculum in Year 9, then she cannot get an A no matter how well she did. This is quite common in streamed classes (particularly Maths), where a student can get 70% in all their assessments (set at a Year 8 level for Year 10's) but still end up on a D overall under the Australian Curriculum.
I really had no idea that this is the case, thank you for explaining it.

So each individual assessment percentage is used to find the overall grade, right? Therefore the B+ in this case is irrelevant, because the 97% is what will be used at the end of the year?

This.
Could not wait to get out of school. Absolutely hated it. Just wanted to get into the workforce and start earning an income. The only reason I stuck at it was so I could get my VCE certificate.

I really had no idea that this is the case, thank you for explaining it.

So each individual assessment percentage is used to find the overall grade, right? Therefore the B+ in this case is irrelevant, because the 97% is what will be used at the end of the year?
correct. I never put a grade on individual assessments it opens up these can of worms. A 70% in my Year 10 academic class is an A. A 70% in my 10 course three class is a D. Parents find it hard to grasp and find it hard to believe we have their child's best interests at heart.

Don't get me wrong, I stayed in school because I wanted to and I did have a good time... but no better than my current time working instead of school. I wasn't allowed to study things I wanted though because of parents, which was annoying, but nothing I can't make up for in adulthood.

At least there are so many more options now. When I was at school you did VCE or nothing.

FWIW I liked school. I had a good group of friends, didn't get bullied (altho I do recall some teasing in Year7/8 but no big deal). I also had great teachers and loved the subject I did in Years 11 and 12. I really feel for those who were bullied, I cant even imagine what that feels like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back