Society & Culture Things that s**t me part X- The Tenth edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BALKAN

Cancelled
Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Aug 23, 2013
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Im not a soccer fan either, I've tried to watch the EPL and Aleague but I just lose interest but the 'no scoring' doesnt really wash

Look at basketball for example, there is scoring a plenty in that, sometimes over 200 points in a game, but theres essentially no tension in majority of the scoring. For mine its a bit like the old saying "give them both 100 points and 1 minute to go", it feels a little like we are all just waiting for the final few moments in a basketball game, despite all the scoring going on.

With Soccer scoring is so valuable, so the tension when teams go forward or have a shot on goal is high and the euphoria of actually scoring is great. So for me, Soccer is a much better game to watch than basketball despite the obvious scoring differences

Very good post.
Scoring is rarer in soccer but a goal can be so much more devastating than in other sports.
Like in footy, team kicks a goal. Team kicks another goal. Doesn't really matter, it takes a while to build up for the goals to actually become really meaningful.

There's a lot of tension and excitement as well as technical skills in soccer and you either see it or you don't.

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Very good post.
Scoring is rarer in soccer but a goal can be so much more devastating than in other sports.
Like in footy, team kicks a goal. Team kicks another goal. Doesn't really matter, it takes a while to build up for the goals to actually become really meaningful.

There's a lot of tension and excitement as well as technical skills in soccer and you either see it or you don't.

I intended but forgot to put in my post how I think AFL has a fairly good balance between scoring and value of goals, which is why we love it so much

I find hockey to be a little hard to watch, with the game played so close to the net it can be frustrating seeing so little scores. I think the AFL works well because there is also so much play in other areas of the ground that doesnt result in goals but is still a win/loss scenario for your team

Back to basketball again, the game is only played in 1 half of the court, you're either trying to score or defend a score, its a bit like the 50m arcs meeting each other and playing the game without the centre square. There are a lot of different things happening in those parts of the ground that make it a great spectacle, I cant think of a lot of other sports where they have that

May 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Well, it doesn't s**t me. I just don't understand it, and I don't understand how people can get so emotionally invested in a game that goes for 90 minutes where there's a chance the final score could be the same as what it started at.
It shits me when people who don't even follow the sport says stuff like this

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Well, it doesn't s**t me. I just don't understand it, and I don't understand how people can get so emotionally invested in a game that goes for 90 minutes where there's a chance the final score could be the same as what it started at.
What is not to understand? It's not rocket science.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Im not a soccer fan either, I've tried to watch the EPL and Aleague but I just lose interest but the 'no scoring' doesnt really wash

Look at basketball for example, there is scoring a plenty in that, sometimes over 200 points in a game, but theres essentially no tension in majority of the scoring. For mine its a bit like the old saying "give them both 100 points and 1 minute to go", it feels a little like we are all just waiting for the final few moments in a basketball game, despite all the scoring going on.

With Soccer scoring is so valuable, so the tension when teams go forward or have a shot on goal is high and the euphoria of actually scoring is great. So for me, Soccer is a much better game to watch than basketball despite the obvious scoring differences
Great post :thumbsu:

You are spot on about scoring in soccer. All it takes is one goal to turn a dour game into something great.
RepentantCavernousIraniangroundjay.gif

Great post :thumbsu:

You are spot on about scoring in soccer. All it takes is one goal to turn a dour game into something great.
RepentantCavernousIraniangroundjay.gif

It's just a pity that it can it can take 88 minutes for it to happen at all
Each to their own - I can watch it but if for some reason it was never played again, it wouldn't worry me in the least

HappyChappy35

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
Schools massively inflating the importance of ATAR scores, probably just to bump up their credentials. Occurs so often around this time of year, leading many Year 12 students to unhealthily obsess over their exam results. Wait a year and you can enter most uni courses as a mature age student anyway, essentially voiding any score written on a piece of paper.

Independence, motivation and resourcefulness are more important in further study. Mainstream high schools aren't similar to uni/TAFE in an environmental sense - teachers/tutors/lecturers/whatever at such institutions won't spoonfeed you, issue continual reminders about due dates + tests, chase up truancy (in most cases), etc.

Jul 7, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Calgary Flames
Schools massively inflating the importance of ATAR scores, probably just to bump up their credentials. Occurs so often around this time of year, leading many Year 12 students to unhealthily obsess over their exam results. Wait a year and you can enter most uni courses as a mature age student anyway, essentially voiding any score written on a piece of paper.

Independence, motivation and resourcefulness are more important in further study. Mainstream high schools aren't similar to uni/TAFE in an environmental sense - teachers/tutors/lecturers/whatever at such institutions won't spoonfeed you, issue continual reminders about due dates + tests, chase up truancy (in most cases), etc.

Just curious, what do you mean by mainstream high schools?

HappyChappy35

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
Just curious, what do you mean by mainstream high schools?

Just your average high school, private or public.

Finished Year 12 at TAFE after completing Years 7-11 at a 'normal' high school and definitely noticed a difference. Curriculum was the same, but the environment/teachers there prepared me a hell of a lot more for uni.

I don't find that a bad thing.

High school is it's own little bubble, and has it's own way of doing things, if you compare it to the "real world" of Uni.

But I don't view it as a handicap compared to someone who did their Year 12 at TAFE, considering most kids straight out of high school, adapt to Uni life pretty well after a semester.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
What's hard to understand about soccer? You said you don't understand it.

You should have read the article in yesterday's paper on how "soccer is going to take over the Australia/universe/world"

One thing I noticed from the article was the massive crowd shot photo they included. Not one woman in that crowd, or very few. Yeah good luck taking over with only 50% of the population interested in the sport.

But like Catfish Alley said before doesnt really worry me. Other than that article, I dont read/take notice/watch anything regarding soccer, cricket, rugby. Am countin down the days till tennis take over our screens tho. ;)

was the photo of the members section behind the goals? there are women and even kids in these sections, however majority are blokes.

plenty of women in the outer at games.

please post link of article proclaiming soccer to take over the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back