Society & Culture Things that s**t me part X- The Tenth edition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the differences are massively overrated.

Unless your completely incapable of learning by yourself and organising your own time, they are pretty much exactly the same form of learning.

That's the thing, for most 18-19 year olds, it's the first time they've truly had to do it by themselves, without someone else (teachers, parents, etc.) pushing them, organising them, etc. Combine that with the freedom of being of legal age and discovering drinking, nightlife, etc., and it's pretty easy to get distracted and lose your way a bit.

Along similar lines, people who constantly click pens or tap their foot. Sit still!

I'm a foot tapper. I find it hard to sit still for longer than 5 minutes or so at a time and get very fidgety. Even at home watching T.V I'll get up and do something else for a couple of minutes every 10-15 minutes or so.

I'm a foot tapper. I find it hard to sit still for longer than 5 minutes or so at a time and get very fidgety. Even at home watching T.V I'll get up and do something else for a couple of minutes every 10-15 minutes or so.

What about if you go to the movies?

What about if you go to the movies?

I still get fidgety. If the movie only runs for 1.5-2 hours I'll try and force myself to sit there the whole time especially if I am not in an isle seat. Any longer than that and I'll get up a couple of times throughout the movie. I very rarely go though and when I do I go when a movie has been out for around a month so there isn't many people in the theater.

Completely agree. Lecturer at Uni was telling me that even though 1st year of uni is the easiest, it's the year where most people fail subjects. I almost failed one or two for a couple of different reasons but it is very different. Personally I liked school a lot better and would do anything to be able to go back. Best days:hearts:

I hated school but loved university. Made so many good friends at uni and had so many good times. Also being able to do a course that really interested me. I couldn't wait to leave school but could have stayed at uni forever.

Last edited:

I'm the same. I travel overseas fairly often. I always request an aisle seat so I can get up and walk around the plane frequently.

People who use internet language in actual speech. There is a guy at work who says things like "Lol", "LMAO"(he actually says "lamo"). The other day someone had a go at him and he said, "Oh, you're such a troll".

I still get fidgety. If the movie only runs for 1.5-2 hours I'll try and force myself to sit there the whole time especially if I am not in an isle seat. Any longer than that and I'll get up a couple of times throughout the movie. I very rarely go though and when I do I go when a movie has been out for around a month so there isn't many people in the theater.

Same

Anything that requires me sitting down for longer than 1/2 hour I'm in trouble. Tapping, fidgeting, cross knees, uncross knees, anything at all to keep me planted in my seat - can't remember the last time I went to the movies for that very reason

When I was at Uni and even for some years afterwards I would have regular dreams about missing exams or suddenly realising I had three essays due the next day and so on. The reality was I was very good at making sure I had everything done and never missed an exam or anything like that but it must have preyed on my mind subconsciously I suppose to have had those dreams. I preferred Uni over school, everyone leaves you alone once you get to Uni. The pressure of HSC was worse I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haters gonna hate

Freddie-Mercury-HATERS-GONNA-H-ATE.gif

This "ban the burqa" business shits me, in the sense that burqas aren't even that common in Australia AFAIK.

burqa-niqab-hijab-chador.jpg+w%253D630%2526h%253D410.jpg

I've seen plenty of women (particularly women under 30) wearing a hijab, but I've never seen anything else in person TBH. Fair enough, the Muslim population in Adelaide (where I'm from) isn't as large or diverse as I imagine it is in Sydney or Melbourne, but still, there's a fair number of migrants from Muslim countries in SA, particularly from Afghanistan.

Ultimately, if the wearer wants to wear it and are doing so of their own free will, I don't see why anyone else should stop them. I mean, has there been any instances at all in Australia of someone wearing a burqa or niqab to conceal their identity, while committing some sort of unlawful act? The way some people are going on, you'd think there's been gangs of Muslim women out there conducting armed robberies while under their veils or something.

When I was at Uni and even for some years afterwards I would have regular dreams about missing exams or suddenly realising I had three essays due the next day and so on. The reality was I was very good at making sure I had everything done and never missed an exam or anything like that but it must have preyed on my mind subconsciously I suppose to have had those dreams. I preferred Uni over school, everyone leaves you alone once you get to Uni. The pressure of HSC was worse I think.

I guess the experience varies for different people. Some people need the guidance provided in secondary years, whilst others prefer independence and being responsible for their own learning. I know for me, the choice, freedom and flexibility of uni study was far more enjoyable than the typically rigorous and structured environment of HS. Prefer to self-motivate and set my own goals rather than have others do it for me.

I think the differences are massively overrated.

Unless your completely incapable of learning by yourself and organising your own time, they are pretty much exactly the same form of learning.

Not necessarily. At school, information is largely provided to you by textbooks and teachers. In higher education, you often have to source your own information and much more critical analysis/thought is demanded when finding answers to problems. Lecturers, tutors etc. aren't always clear in their explanations of things, requiring you to put more thought into the concepts being taught.

I hated school but loved university. Made so many good friends at uni and had so many good times. Also being able to do a course that really interested me. I couldn't wait to leave school but could have stayed at uni forever.
So much this. I went to one of the highest achieving high schools in the country and absolutely despised the rigidity and constant hounding to do so many things I didn't care about then dropped out in year 10 with crap marks. After doing a bridging course the next year I enrolled in a BSc and got 21/24HDs without too much difficulty simply because I actually was interested in what I was doing and I loved the whole style of: This is what you need to do, we don't care how you get it done.

If I had a trust fund or something I'd happily spend my time just doing different degrees in things that interest me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back