Things to admire about PM Gillard

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't agree with a lot of her ideas, but she was a smart and charismatic woman and everyone I've spoken to who's worked for her has praised her as a boss. Consultative, empathetic, hardworking, decisive, intelligent. These are the skills you want in someone running the country.

Coming into the position so hopelessly compromised, overseeing a deeply divided party, and having to sell the show to the Greens and Indies to form government, I find it hard to evaluate her on the basis of her actual achievements. I can only say that I think she would have done far better if she had become PM under better circumstances.

In some ways she is greatly capable. She is clearly very smart, tough and determined. But she also has a capacity to make very bad decisions. This is not a quality you want in someone running the country. And do we really know what she stood for, apart from advancing her own career?

And do we really know what she stood for, apart from advancing her own career?

I think it's pretty clear she stood for key social democratic values. Her views on health and education in particular during her time in politics is very clear.

I would have liked the chance to find out her vision for the nation in more detail, but given the circumstances she never really got a chance to own the government's policy platform.

The other day you were praising them for passing 500+ pieces of legislation.

What?
I think it is, fundamentally, a pretty impressive achievement that they managed to pass so much stuff in such a screwed up electoral environment.

I don't necessarily think the stuff they passed was good. I think their policy platform was hopelessly compromised, and the legislation passed bastardised, by the negotiations they had to enter into. In that sense I think it is hard to judge Gillard on its content, given the lack of control she had over it.

I am not sure what is so confusing about that.

It is almost completely unfunded ffs.

Another millstone around the fiscal neck of every future government.
Yeah, fancy looking after the disabled in this country. What a hide.

I know people who work for her as well, they think she's fantastic and a genuinely nice lady, but she's been a failure at every level. Being nice doesn't mean she's capable, being intelligent doesn't mean she's competent. She is a political ladder climber, pure and simple.
She's clearly your political equivalent of Michael Clarke. :rolleyes:

The bolded is rubbish. She's firstly negotiated and then overseen a minority government. And got significant legislation through in the process. That's hardly a failure.

I don't care if you don't like the woman but extreme statements like you have made are just stupid. As stupid as if someone said she didn't make mistakes.

Don't be like Bolt.
Do you have an issue with the disabled being looked after?

It's a significant achievement.

The funding will be sorted, especially now that the financial geniuses in the Coalition will be taking the reins in September.

She had a lack of control over the 500+ pieces of legislation that were voted in during her Prime Ministership. Got it.

She had a lack of control over their substantive content. Conservative rural MPs controlling the balance in the lower house, and Greens controlling the balance in the upper? It was always going to be a dog's breakfast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Especially when it isn't funded nor have any pilot studies even been done.
The Coalition will sort out how to fund it. That's what they are good at. Apparently.

The concept was always going to have to come from Labor though. It's not the Coalition's style to think of the disadvantaged.

Well she was our first Prime Minister & under her reign we have seen the NDIS advance to a reality but what i admire about her despite all the wrong turns she has taken is that she has survived three years as PM in a very hostile environment of a hung parliament, a negative & at times feral opposition but most of all the enemy from within in Rudd & his lackeys who for three years carried the most treacherous destabilizing of their own party while in government in living memory.

Thought her speech this evening was pretty good & Julia walked away with her head held high.

I have never met a person who has said a bad word about her on a personal level. From all accounts she is smart, charismatic, unpretentious, a joy to work for, an excellent manager of people and an empathetic and kind individual. She has just delivered a brilliant concession speech that validates all that.

I held high hopes for the ALP when it looked like Gillard, Smith and Combet were the new generation, and I think she would have been an excellent Prime Minister if she had just waited and inherited the leadership naturally - perhaps after a 2010 election loss. But she was seduced by Shorten and the Victorian Right, and the manner in which she was installed robbed her of credibility from the start.

She was on a hiding to nothing from day one, and I feel extremely sorry for her. A great waste of talent.
Exactly -excellent summation.

I would have liked the chance to find out her vision for the nation in more detail, ...
If there is one question I could ask any politician, it would be "What is your vision for Australia in 2030?".

Sadly they are all so attuned to the short political cycle and the 24 hour news cycle. Open any mainstream newspaper after budget day and all it tells you is how much more or less will end up in your pocket at the end of the week. It seems the electorate and its representatives cannot, or do not want to, see the forest from the trees.

She was a long term thinking PM. I think the nation is tired of seeing Governments, Prime Ministers, Opoosition Leaders and Opposition parties only engaing in shor tterm strategies.

We know about the NDIS - forget how that will be funded - that can be worked out over time. The benefits of the scheme far outweigh whatever the costs might be for it.

Next one is obviously Gonski. Education needs to be reformed and now, for the future of children and grand children. This is a long term move. It takes dare I say REAL LEADERSHIP to adopt a policy to reform Education.

The third one is Infrastructure. I'll start small. it was just over a week ago that at last, Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra were finally linked by freeway on the Hume. The long term benefits of this in terms of cheap road freight, better road safety and increased tourism aren't easily ignored. Then we have the NBN. Again a long term move to deliver benefits that will outweigh the short term costs.

There's the vision for the future - disabled people treated equally, the best possible education system we could manage and the best possible broadband, ports, roads etc we need.

Good luck to anyone trying to match that.

Last night we lost an historic figure.

The first female Australian Prime Minister was dedicated to improving Australia and her biggest legacy will be the investment in education that will see Australia in good stead come the next generation.

Julia came to office in the aftermath of the Global Financial Crisis and has now left politics before the world has recovered from it. In her term of office she has focused on health, on mental health, on education, on disability reform, on climate change, on bringing us high speed internet network to drag Australia almost up to the standard that rest of the world takes for granted and almost without wanting to she was dragged into womens' rights issues.

Julia has paved the way for women to make it to the highest office (and the non-religious). She worked hard to achieve her goals and handled herself with class and dignity. She remains a hero of mine.

I believe that Australia is simply not ready for a female leader.
We allowed the office of Prime Minister to be reduced in stature or esteem because it was a woman holding that office. Derogation and disrespect has been widespread since she took office - mainly from the opposition, but not just from these classless buffoons, it grew wider in the public because the mistreatment of this woman was so rampant that our society began to accept it.

Julia was forced to stand up for herself. She made a famous speech about the misogyny shown by the opposition (it should have been the leader of the opposition's role to reign in his party's primitive behavior - except he was the worst of them). Julia's response was hailed world wide as one of great character. The rest of the world envied Australia in what a wonderful leader we have here. Now she has gone.

Rich religious white men now hold the reigns of both parties. It is a huge step backwards in the status of women in this country, and for human rights in general.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back