Things you believed/were told as a kid (that are really quite stupid)

Remove this Banner Ad

+1 for colour TV. I've heard it a number of times (which is comforting, I thought it was really obscure at first).

- Easter Bunny/Father Christmas etc.

- When AFL broadcasts said that a player had 'gone missing' (i.e. no touches in last ~8 mins), I took it to literally mean that they were not at the ground.

- That people who drove below the posted speed limit would get some monetary reward (juxtaposed with the knowledge that those who drove above the speed limit lost money)

- Foreign languages were as simple as codes that substituted one letter for another

- Foreign languages were as simple as codes that substituted one letter for another
I went to primary school with a guy like that. He just couldn't understand why two words that started with the same letter in English didn't start with the same letter in Japanese. He never got it either.

I went to primary school with a guy like that. He just couldn't understand why two words that started with the same letter in English didn't start with the same letter in Japanese. He never got it either.
Did I go to primary school with you? :$

* Fat women are always friendly
* Christmas is a special time that is magical
* Masturbation is sinful

Masturbation is sinful and an abomination in the eyes of The Lord.

I was also taught this but the message never quite sunk in. I could fap for Australia.

When I heard that a woman had 'lost' her baby I remember thinking 'That's pretty careless. Has she tried looking for it?'

I used to try to make birds explode by feeding them bread sprinkled with baking soda. Apparently I'm not the only one:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060629162039AA20rhb

It was a great anti-climax. They'd eat the bread and fly off. Sometimes I'd run out of the house and try to follow them it case there was a delayed reaction and I missed the explosion.

My older siblings told me that the line "for 40,000 years I've been the first Australian" in the song I Am Australian meant that Aborigines lived for 40,000 years each.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My dad told me that the reason my nana was so scared of moths was because he used to have a giant, mutated moth for a pet named Mothy. He'd ride Mothy around and then one day it turned on nana (it was jealous of their relationship) and bailed her up in the laundry threatening her.

Give me a break, I was about 5. I blame my dad for my overactive imagination now.

I'm a bit older than most here. I was a kid in the Cold War.

I remember the media going on and on about communists. Communist this, communist that, blah blah communists, all very negative.

As a result, I always thought communist = 'animal fornicating, kiddy fiddling, excrement eating, grave robbing, charity stealing bunch of campaigners.

So it always amazed me that the 'other side' were happy to identify themselves as communists.

Thought there were nurses in Heaven to look after the dead people.

Also thought if you cut the TV open, you would be in the show that was currently on.

Thought the same about the TV.

Thought clouds were soft and cushy.
Maybe that was thought of by drawings and cartoon depictions of them.

I'm a bit older than most here. I was a kid in the Cold War.

I remember the media going on and on about communists. Communist this, communist that, blah blah communists, all very negative.

As a result, I always thought communist = 'animal fornicating, kiddy fiddling, excrement eating, grave robbing, charity stealing bunch of campaigners.

So it always amazed me that the 'other side' were happy to identify themselves as communists.

I grew up watching stuff like 'Threads' :- and honestly thought the communists were going to drop a nuke on us at any moment.

I seriously lay in bed at night waiting for the bomb to drop. I imagined the nuclear warhead coming straight through my bedroom wall and exploding.

I used to watch the vapour trail from overhead aircraft worrying that one might be a missile.

I actually grew up in Northern Ireland during the random violence'The Troubles' but the IRA, UVF and army running around the place didn't scare me half as much as the Russians.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back