Society & Culture Things you do/did that you probably think no one else does

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone ever write an essay or a report and then find references after? I always start mine like the day before it's due and can't be bothered finding academic references because I just want to finish it. So afterwards I just search keywords in this library database, find articles that relate to the topic and reference them. Hasn't failed me yet.

Does anyone ever write an essay or a report and then find references after? I always start mine like the day before it's due and can't be bothered finding academic references because I just want to finish it. So afterwards I just search keywords in this library database, find articles that relate to the topic and reference them. Hasn't failed me yet.
I don't actually think they check. I have a friend who albeit was somewhat the same topic just copied his reference list from one assignment, changed the order and pasted it in his other. No questions were asked.

I don't actually think they check. I have a friend who albeit was somewhat the same topic just copied his reference list from one assignment, changed the order and pasted it in his other. No questions were asked.
That would depend on the marker i reckon. Some are just lazy so and so's, whereas others mark with militaristic precision.

No, your essays must be pretty s**t if you don't need to incorporate any research as the basis of your arguments.

How do you know where to include references into the actually essay, if you're not using any of their material?

No, your essays must be pretty s**t if you don't need to incorporate any research as the basis of your arguments.

How do you know where to include references into the actually essay, if you're not using any of their material?
I obviously research, I just can't be bothered finding academic sources so I leave that 'til the end. I look for material that's similar to or the same as what I've written.

s**t like essays and reports are only a small part of my course so I don't really care. I still do pretty well in them though (lowest result I've received is a credit) because I find them easy, but they're really, really boring.

I do this all the time.

I once wrote a big 30 odd page report and got Tarkyn_24 to look up and add references for me.

My library at home is good enough that I can generally wonder over and find a book that will support my case and quote from it, the more obscure the better. I quoted from a Soviet published History of the Communist Party in Russia from 1917 to 1970 in second year because I found the book for fifty cents at an op shop and was pretty sure that absolutely nobody else would be referencing that text in their essay.

how do students research these days? id imagine a lot of s**t on the web, and the skill is not writing the essay but sifting through the 1000s of pages of stuff on the net.

is it easy these days with information at fingertips? i recall the good old days of libraries, looking up books via subject/author and then having to physically touch books to find them. then thinking i wonder how many people have touched this page.

also of memory fondness was the main library at monash U. toilets. someone wrote "jeff kennett has a very ****able wife" on the door.

how do students research these days? id imagine a lot of s**t on the web, and the skill is not writing the essay but sifting through the 1000s of pages of stuff on the net.

is it easy these days with information at fingertips? i recall the good old days of libraries, looking up books via subject/author and then having to physically touch books to find them. then thinking i wonder how many people have touched this page.

also of memory fondness was the main library at monash U. toilets. someone wrote "jeff kennett has a very ****able wife" on the door.
My uni has its own library search engine that uses its and other big search engines that are already peer reviewed, and you can source through journal articles, textbook pdf's, and locations to actual textbooks.

I imagine that its so much easier now (but still annoying as *) and I don't think I've ever used a textbook apart from the recommended ones for the unit.

First year students at Adelaide have to do a compulsory library skills program where they teach you all things that year eights were taught in the pre internet days.

I order things on the internet and pay for delivery even though the store is within walking distance and offers free pick up :D

Done this many a time over the last few years with a few computer part orders and other things. A delivery from the Hawthorn Hawksnest merchandise shop arrived for me during lunch...... i only live 10 minutes away from HawksHQ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My library at home is good enough that I can generally wonder over and find a book that will support my case and quote from it, the more obscure the better. I quoted from a Soviet published History of the Communist Party in Russia from 1917 to 1970 in second year because I found the book for fifty cents at an op shop and was pretty sure that absolutely nobody else would be referencing that text in their essay.

How many books do you think you own Gogh?

You have mentioned your library quite a few times. Sounds awesome to be able to say you have a library!

Also do you arrange them in any order or do you just have a rough idea where everything is?

I stop the microwave with 1-2 seconds because it feels like I diffused a bomb. #Iwanttobelieve
Staying that close to the microwave will give you enlarged testicles.

But sometimes I'll stop the microwave 1-5 seconds out, because I can't be bothered waiting anymore.

Staying that close to the microwave will give you enlarged testicles.

But sometimes I'll stop the microwave 1-5 seconds out, because I can't be bothered waiting anymore.
south-park-s14e03c04-microwaving-your-balls-16x9.jpg

If I enter through a particular door of the house, I must leave from the same door. This goes for going around any furniture (tables, chairs). Imagine a rope is being tied to you and you cannot get it tangled around a wall or piece of furniture.

Always go on BigFooty when I turn on the computer ;)

When in the shower, hold my hold up as though I am catching the water as I wait for it to heat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back