Autopsy Things you Learnt vs Fremantle (Qualifying Final edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

He isnt at all

Media carry on like he is
He is a good on field coach. A few things go differently in 09 and 10 and his players kick straight in 13 he has 3 flags. Unlucky in GFs but won't be a coaching legend without flags. His only issue is he doesn't bleed in young players well. Be interesting when his main lot retire

Oh you will be surprised Freo and Hawthorn were holding hands a little yesterday, getting a few sympathy posts.
A bit more than holding hands. Hawks just jump on anyone's bandwagon that's not Sydney or Geelong

Why is he the master coach, never won a flag
In part it is due to the quality of the list, isn't it? Swannies are great because we have a well organised administration, who would be scary business opposition. They made it possible to have Buddy Franklin and Tippet. They were prepared to take a calculated business gamble on Buddy. We have had good recruiting managers (first round picks largely excepted). We had orderly transition from Roosy to Horse. We didn't appoint a favourite son with no coaching experience. There are a lot of good decisions which aren't down to a coach, and which take a few years to manifest. Is Lyon a better coach than Horse? I don't think so. Is he in the same class? I think so. They will each have strengths and weaknesses. They are both good at getting the best out of their playing lists. Horse has had some bad "game day coaching" experiences. Yesterday he was really good.

He is a good on field coach. A few things go differently in 09 and 10 and his players kick straight in 13 he has 3 flags. Unlucky in GFs but won't be a coaching legend without flags. His only issue is he doesn't bleed in young players well. Be interesting when his main lot retire

A bit more than holding hands. Hawks just jump on anyone's bandwagon that's not Sydney or Geelong

Hawks fans are morons their other clubs discussion board is the most clueless thread on bigfooty

Hawks fans are morons their other clubs discussion board is the most clueless thread on bigfooty
Probably, just wish there was more respect around. IN general too. We're in a prelim and people are look for ways to degrade that. Hell, people doing the same to Hawks and with the Cats too to a point. Annoys me.

Anyway, to stay on topic:
As good as Pyke was today, I still think our rucks are our weakest area. When Sandilands dominated in the 4th, they damn well nearly got ontop of us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This!!!

His record in Grand Finals is 0-1-3 not exactly the greatest record...
3 of those finals were almost out of his control though. The players screwed it up. The loss to Collingwood was sad though.

He has at least made finals though. Admittingly with 2 ready to go teams. Need to see how he goes with list rebuilding.

He has also made finals every year but 1...

Probably, just wish there was more respect around. IN general too. We're in a prelim and people are look for ways to degrade that. Hell, people doing the same to Hawks and with the Cats too to a point. Annoys me.

Anyway, to stay on topic:
As good as Pyke was today, I still think our rucks are our weakest area. When Sandilands dominated in the 4th, they damn well nearly got ontop of us

When rucks are tired Sandi still has his height. I thought Pyke took it up to him very well.

I liked that after Rohan's string of utensil-ups other players were getting over and encouraging him. Please Mrs Rohan (Gary's mum), buy your son some new boots.

Reid's flexibility to fill holes as a swingman is worth more than a bag of possessions.

Bird as sub worked perfectly to cover the Macca when the latter had to cover Mal. Hard for Birdy after a bit of a hiatus but I gotta say, he slotted in a lot better than Mitchell would have.

That hitout should be good for the returnees and the rest ideal for the team.

Goodes showed he can still lift when the going gets tough. We need players who improve as the pressure comes to win finals. As to whether he plays on....that depends on his his body pulls up but if he's going to finish let's hope it's on a high.

Will people stop over rating the bald one, he's got the guts of an easter egg. he wont put his head over it.

Be specific Bedders. Are we talking a rich creamy filled egg or one with a regular cheap chocolate outer and nothing but the stale fumes of the Cadbury's chocolate factory on the inside ?

Things I learnt, even though I probably knew them deep down:

1. Luke Parker is in the absolute elite group of midfielders in the comp, and we need to sign him and Hanners to long term contracts ASAP.
2. Nick smith is probably the most under rated player in the comp. Does his job with no fuss or fanfare every week.
3. Buddy on a wing is probably more dangerous than in the forwards. Could easily win a brownlow if played off a wing every week (he reminds me of Goodesy in his prime)
4. As a new member on these boards, I love all Swannies fans for their dedication to our great team.
5, and finally. Freo's fans are the biggest whingers on these boards. Just been over having a look at their board and the conspiracy theories and blaming of umps is ridiculous.

Anyway, they're my thoughts. Please be nice as this is only my second post :)

Welcome!
2. Totally... If only he didn't just get named in the AA squad (possibly team? I haven't checked the leaked list)
3. You mean Buddy is more dangerous when he isn't held or double teamed. I would still take Buddy one out in the 50 any day of the week.
5. I know you're new, so you missed the great Hawf meltdown of 2012 - present, and the Crows shitstorm of 2012...

I liked that after Rohan's string of utensil-ups other players were getting over and encouraging him. Please Mrs Rohan (Gary's mum), buy your son some new boots.
Yes that was good and I also loved the way Rohan attacked the ball, the man and took the game on, yeah a couple of bad kicks and maybe he needs to copy Shaw and take a bounce as soon as he gets it but he was certainly a live wire down back most of his defensive efforts wont get a stat.

Last edited:
Yes that was good and I also loved the way Rohan attacked the ball, the man and took the game on, yeah a couple of bad kicks and maybe he needs to copy sure and take a bounce as soon as he gets it but he was certainly a live wire down back most of his defensive efforts wont get a stat.

I dont mind the errors when he takes it on either, he fought it out well

1. Goodes is refusing to kick for goal on the run at times when the opportunity is there
2. When Jetta is on song, his kicking to a target is supreme
3. Nick Smith is an AA whether it is official or not

1. The first quarter was enough to show Lloyd belongs in finals footy.
2. When Jetta runs with the ball, he contributes greatly.
3. Sam Reid. Not many possessions on the stats sheet. Thought his loose man positioning in defence was good.
4. McVeigh played well, did his usual things with ball in hand. But it was his turn to go with the Pavlich goal and he didn't.

3 of those finals were almost out of his control though. The players screwed it up. The loss to Collingwood was sad though.

He has at least made finals though. Admittingly with 2 ready to go teams. Need to see how he goes with list rebuilding.

He has also made finals every year but 1...
... fair points however the mark of a master coach is surely premierships...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back