Autopsy Things you Learnt vs Fremantle (Qualifying Final edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

... fair points however the mark of a master coach is surely premierships...
I do believe it one of the important things in being a "master coach". But not every game is won in the coaches box. To me at least, to be considered a "mater coach" would be:
1. Consistantly making finals
2. Being able to rebuild a list
3. Winning flags
Ross has done 2 and should done 3. Mostly it wasn't his fault. But never the less, when he retires from coaching if he doesn't win a flag he will either be remembered as an unlucky coach, or a dud.

Yes that was good and I also loved the way Rohan attacked the ball, the man and took the game on, yeah a couple of bad kicks and maybe he needs to copy Shaw and take a bounce as soon as he gets it but he was certainly a live wire down back most of his defensive efforts wont get a stat.

Reminded me of the NOG screw up across goals in '05. Poor bloke looked like he'd been kicked in the guts by a giraffe but the team got around him. s**t happens and that sort of gut-wrenching experience teaches better than a million words from the coach. Rohan will know his team mates back him to take the game on and he'll know to have a bounce next time.

On reflection I think the main thing to be taken away from this game is how important it is to have an even contribution across the team. We were so even in the midfield that Crowley couldn't tell who to bad-mouth and ended up being bounced around by Swans players like a human pin-ball. Our forwards all provided something and worked as a team to dismantle their defence by shifting up the ground later. Our defenders backed each other and all put in a great game, even Richards (Anyone on Pav is in for a hard day. That guy is a machine). Our players understood their positions and played them as they were instructed. As much as Ross Lyon claims his team is bigger than any player it was Horse who showed how this works in practice. Each man assigned a role and each giving everything to perform that role. One of our most even contributions and, if not for a bit of wayward kicking and poor communication forward early, we could have made the gap a whole lot wider. By contrast, Fremantle relied on a handful of very talented players of which probably only Pavlich managed to play near his best. When it came to the crunch we called upon our players to break out and do something special and they delivered, right down to the big Canuck doing a live rendition of his famous Canadian international run (see youtube), something I've waited for his entire AFL career. Wish he'd do that more often.

Great game by Jetta, that's what we want.
The young fella's stood up again.
McVeigh's effort just before half time was pathetic, should have dived and knocked it through.
Mike Pyke was fantastic against Lurch

And the other 2 Swans players who were also in the contest running side by side with Pavlich ? :rolleyes:

What would they have done ? Held up their ******* Score cards when McVeigh completed his
Triple Lindy ? :rolleyes: Seriously you have no idea. McVeigh needs to get Towers back in the side so you get off his back and start on your new whipping boy. Give it a spell for a while. You sound like one of my old man's broken Slim Dusty records.

And the other 2 Swans players who were also in the contest running side by side with Pavlich ? :rolleyes:

What would they have done ? Held up their ******* Score cards when McVeigh completed his
Triple Lindy ? :rolleyes: Seriously you have no idea. McVeigh needs to get Towers back in the side so you get off his back and start on your new whipping boy. Give it a spell for a while. You sound like one of my old man's broken Slim Dusty records.

Think what Bedford means mate is McVeigh was in the best position and was on the left side of Pav to dive and smother the ball.

But it was a poor effort by all.

1. Lyon doesn't like Freo supporters
2. Lyon doesn't like being touched
3. Lyon especially doesn't like to be touched by Freo supporters.
4. Lyon does like the c word. A lot.
5. Lyon doesn't like telephones
6. Lyon smiles a lot when he is really not happy at all
7. Late in a game when he's losing, Lyon falls asleep with his eyes open
8. When you stop playing and start coaching you go from this:
images

to this

upload_2014-9-7_22-25-25.jpeg

9. If a Sydney Team qualifies for a home Prelim and no body is there to see it. Did it really happen? Yes. Yes of course it did. Why wouldn't it? Philosophy is lame.

Think what Bedford means mate is McVeigh was in the best position and was on the left side of Pav to dive and smother the ball.

But it was a poor effort by all.

It was pretty funny watching Ted give Macca a serve.
Reminded me of the NOG screw up across goals in '05. Poor bloke looked like he'd been kicked in the guts by a giraffe but the team got around him. s**t happens and that sort of gut-wrenching experience teaches better than a million words from the coach. Rohan will know his team mates back him to take the game on and he'll know to have a bounce next time.

Rohan's poor first half will make him as a player I reckon.

1 Jake lloyd impresses me more each week his composure during the early stages was more in line with a player in his 21st final not 1st.

2 our errors kept them in it off the top of my head they got at least 5 goals from our stuff ups.

3 cunningham was outstanding on s hill.

1. Agreed.
2. Ballantyne*. Rampe beat Walters
7. I don't even know who Crowley was assigned to. My mate and I were watching him a lot of the day and he was running with Kennedy, Lloyd in the first half then seemed to move to Hannebery for a little while in the 2nd half before setting up as a half forward with Rohan on him. We didn't understand what his role was, it seemed like he wasn't even running as a tagger all that much. Was he really on Kieren Jack? I never saw them together.

Arrrh sorry got them mixed up lol, Ballentyne and Walters were completely smashed. Not even close. No idea who Crowley was on, I just assume it was Jack lol.

Our players versatility versus other teams is a real bonus. What with Parker adding the ruck to his already full bow:p - but seriously, its obvious that Horse has a very clear strategy on this and what role a player does in one game may not necessarily be his core role in the next. Makes matching up on us very difficult.

This week Cunningham ran with Hill, took him out of the game - next week Harry might play more forward. Gazza played down back, but could just as easily go forward. Sammy etc. I'm not sure I could see that type of versatility in Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our players versatility versus other teams is a real bonus. What with Parker adding the ruck to his already full bow:p - but seriously, its obvious that Horse has a very clear strategy on this and what role a player does in one game may not necessarily be his core role in the next. Makes matching up on us very difficult.

This week Cunningham ran with Hill, took him out of the game - next week Harry might play more forward. Gazza played down back, but could just as easily go forward. Sammy etc. I'm not sure I could see that type of versatility in Freo.

That seems to be a common thread amongst the top teams (and those teams starting to improve). Both Hawthorn and Geelong have versatility in spades and players often move to different positions mid-game and upset the oppositions plans. It's been a bit of a criticism of Longmire that he doesn't do that as much, but that's certainly not been the case this year.

That seems to be a common thread amongst the top teams (and those teams starting to improve). Both Hawthorn and Geelong have versatility in spades and players often move to different positions mid-game and upset the oppositions plans. It's been a bit of a criticism of Longmire that he doesn't do that as much, but that's certainly not been the case this year.

We certainly learnt a lot from 2013 mate :) from adding more midfield rotations to resting players addressing our lack of pace on the outside and getting the inside mid balance right.

We certainly learnt a lot from 2013 mate :) from adding more midfield rotations to resting players addressing our lack of pace on the outside and getting the inside mid balance right.

Speed the number 1 thing. Sydney were burned on the outside last season. Injuries hurt but playing 4-5 one paced midfielders hurt more.

1. Goodes is refusing to kick for goal on the run at times when the opportunity is there
2. When Jetta is on song, his kicking to a target is supreme
3. Nick Smith is an AA whether it is official or not
In defence of Goodes, Buddy's subsequent handball to Reid, perfectly positioned in the goal square, was an outright shocker. Agree it shouldn't have happened, but Goodesy's delivery to Buddy was perfect. Pity that Buddy's usually silky skills failed him at such a moment.

Last edited:
Speed the number 1 thing. Sydney were burned on the outside last season. Injuries hurt but playing 4-5 one paced midfielders hurt more.

There was a great play on the weekend when Gaz won it deep in defence and found Jetta off half back and Freo literally were flat footed as the pace unleashed. It's a beautiful thing. But the run through the middle is severely underrated for us this year as well. Lloyd and Harry have taken it up a notch too.

Some were wondering where Jetta was earlier this year. Jetta is now a far better player than he was in 2012 but we now have three or four players like the 2012 version to choose from. :thumbsu:

You can have great coaching, structures etc which obviously help. But one thing I love about our guys is the constant chase, harrassment, pressure - just relentless.

Even when the oppsotoion marks, they sprint up, waving arms around like madmen, ensuring the kicker has no space. So rare to see opposition in free space with 20 or 30 metres to run. Gax yesterday was outmarked by Pav who got a free run to teh line - but he chased him all the way, never gave up.

That's what Richmond (despite the soft run crap and umpire-created win last week) or Carlton and many other clubs don't have. They don't have that relentless striving to make the opposition do everything under huge pressure. That's why the Tigers kicked out on the full 6 or 7 times last week.

That's part of the team culture that many of the other clubs don't understand - and simply don't have.

FREO were good yesterday - but they weren't allowed to be better.

Hey bombersno1, what was with the pool of water in the pocket? Did the super sopper stop working?

The rest of the ground seemed to cone up well.

In 2012 when 'Horse' said this Flag was a little unexpected, we really should be better in 2014 and 15 ... he was spot on, the best is yet to come.

Teams who play the Swans one week are usually shot when they play the next week, eg Tigers.

We have the players to shut down Balla's and Walters, most teams can't.

Big Mike is a terrific Ruckman who holds his own against the best there is - Kudos Mike !

Lance was pretty quiet, look out next game, he'll fire on all 8 cylinders.

Rohan just had "one of those games "

In part it is due to the quality of the list, isn't it? Swannies are great because we have a well organised administration, who would be scary business opposition. They made it possible to have Buddy Franklin and Tippet. They were prepared to take a calculated business gamble on Buddy. We have had good recruiting managers (first round picks largely excepted). We had orderly transition from Roosy to Horse. We didn't appoint a favourite son with no coaching experience. There are a lot of good decisions which aren't down to a coach, and which take a few years to manifest. Is Lyon a better coach than Horse? I don't think so. Is he in the same class? I think so. They will each have strengths and weaknesses. They are both good at getting the best out of their playing lists. Horse has had some bad "game day coaching" experiences. Yesterday he was really good.
My memory is Horse missed out on the St Kilda job, it went to Lyon, Roos/Swans announced succession plan, Horse was not allowed to apply for the North job, and happy ever after for the Swannies.

If St Kilda had appointed Horse, the succession plan would have been Roos to Ross. And I reckon with our list management and, cough ahem, "player culture", Lyon would also have a flag to now.

And just on Rohan's 20 plus steps with the ball early in the game. I reckon he was still confused about the weather and the surface after reading the match preview thread. He usually bounces it without thinking.

Gary, STOP reading Big Footy before a game :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back