Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
ok i'm back. sorry for being a little late. what are the things you learnt?

1) You can have the umpires for 3 quarters directly helping your team stay in the game and if the other team gets 2-3 50/50's in the last quarter their way, apparently the umpires screwed them. Shows predominantly that fans can just ignore a whole game and not put into perspective a free resulting in a goal in quarter 1 is the same as in quarter 4. Does anyone remember 3rd quarter when vince spun 360 tackled to the ground and just pushed the ball out and got no free against? Was the worst non holding the ball of the day by far).

2) Newton had a severely underrated 4th quarter, thought he was suberb and would be getting much more recognition.

3) Opposition supporters are 10 weeks behind on Pittard criticism, he is genuinely turning into a great player. Can definitely see him being Andrew Mackie in a year.

4) Melbournes gameplan of trying to block our run etc did not work nearly ad effectively as essendon or richmond (our skills were where we were let down, a lot worse than in those othet two games where they just strangled us at the contest all game).

5) We need to be patient on criticising these young guys like Wingard, Polec, Impey. It will take time and none of them are over 21. All 3 will be guns.

1) We whinge about umpires too much

2) Our desire to constantly have a +1 in defence throws out our entire structure all over the field. They man up, we put another won back there. We were playing an 8, sometimes 9 man defence at periods in that second half. Not good enough.

3) O'Shea and Pittard are the only two prepared to take the game on when we are in trouble.

We want a +1 in defense because that's how we launch our attacks - finding that spare man with a switch from one side to the other and overload the opposition defense with run, then switch back to the center when appropriate. The reality is that two of our defenders are 'wingbacks' who are meant to push forward into the midfield and take the game on. Pittard is one, Broadbent has been the other but now it's O'Shea that is taking over that role. But because our defense is undermanned, they have had to second guess their involvement in pressing up into the midfield.

I'm just hoping it's a transition phase to allow our players the freedom to run forward and take the game on.

Footballs have no sense of occasion.

Paul Roos is on a mission to stop people enjoying football.

Lynden Dunn is still the most improved player in the AFL with Cam Pedersen a close second.

We complain about umpiring because it's s**t house.

The softness of the free's on Sunday was disgraceful and deplorable. I really dislike how a player slips or falls by the own volition and receives a free kick. The opposition can't prepare for the unknown and the ball carrier has to accept some risk for the inadequate ability.

We can't run

Our disposal are s**t

The above two mean we are struggling for fitness IMO

Paul Roos is on a mission to stop people enjoying football.
If I wasn't 95% sure that the AFL would come up with a way of making the cure worse then than problem I'd support some sort of rule change to stop or at least limit the Roos / Lyons fork to the eye 'spectacles'.

1- Jackson Trengove should be vice-captain next year, bit unfair to Ebert but think he would make a better one.
2- we have lost that run and excitement that we had at the start of the year but with Carlile coming back I think we will get it back.
3- Aaron young is crazy good around stoppages
4- (say this every week) the holding the ball and illegal disposal rules are a joke
5- Pittard will be a very good player for our club. Wish Hinkley had the same patience that he shows Pittard with Butcher

1. We are tired and need the bye more than most
2. Carlile and Trengove's imminent return will show what the issue has been.
3. O'Shea's form will see someone dropped when Bobby and Jacko return. 5 tall defenders is too many
4. You could win several houses betting on Jay Schulz's goalkicking
5. Newton deserves a full game

3. O'Shea's form will see someone dropped when Bobby and Jacko return. 5 tall defenders is too many
Jonas is able to play on talls and smalls. And Hombsch is no giant. I'd say the player most at risk of being dropped is Broadbent. He's been average at best this year.

With Carlile and Trengove back, it'd leave as the side for the finals:
Trengove / Carlile take the two biggest forwards.
Hombsch gets the third tall (unless it's a resting ruck, then swap with Trengove).
Jonas a medium or a small.
O'Shea and Pittard provide the rebound from defense.
Impey (back after a rest against the Pies), would get the fastest small.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2) Newton had a severely underrated 4th quarter, thought he was suberb and would be getting much more recognition.

His overhead intercept mark and pinpoint kick to Broadbent which Broady didn't have to break stride to mark late in the final quarter was the start of the play that won us the game.

We want a +1 in defense because that's how we launch our attacks - finding that spare man with a switch from one side to the other and overload the opposition defense with run, then switch back to the center when appropriate. The reality is that two of our defenders are 'wingbacks' who are meant to push forward into the midfield and take the game on. Pittard is one, Broadbent has been the other but now it's O'Shea that is taking over that role. But because our defense is undermanned, they have had to second guess their involvement in pressing up into the midfield.

I'm just hoping it's a transition phase to allow our players the freedom to run forward and take the game on.

Didn't work against Richmond and didn't work on the weekend. There's no point launching an attack from defence if there's nobody in the forward line to kick it to. We can't just empty out the forward line and hope that somebody will be running back to the right spot at the right time, it's not sustainable. It requires pinpoint kicking and a little bit of luck.

3- Aaron young is crazy good around stoppages

You shouldn't have only learned this on the weekend, but agree totally. Youngy is every bit as good in the centre square as guys like Boak and Wines (not quite as good as Gray, but I don't think anybody other than Ablett and Pendlebury is as good as Gray). Just needs to develop the rest of his game.

1. Robbie Gray is the best player at slipping tackles in the comp - a definite all-australian if not brownlow.
2. Pittard doesn't deserve any of the s*** he's been given this year - a beautiful left foot drop punt from 50 metres that splits the middle. Give him 2 years, and he will be the best winger in the comp.
3. I find it hard to believe that Sam Gray and Kane Mitchell played ahead of O'Shea and Ben Newton this year - they are bloody gamechangers
4. Schulz can do jack sh*t for 3 and a half quarters but all he needs is 1 chance to win a game - would put my life on him.
5. Aaron Young is going to be the next Dom. I don't think that kid feels pain - and he can kick a goal.
6. There is something wrong with Ebert.
7. Westhoff needs to cop a spew from Hinkley after missing a shot from 20 metres out directly infront. He's one of the best forwards in the comp, now start playing like it
8. Polec and Impey need a break, they haven't had any impact whatsoever for a month.
9. Melbourne can play some serious footy. I can seem them playing finals in 3 years.
10. Chad Wingard has lost his tricks and flicks - but not his fight. Absolutely dominated half forward and brought a pressure to the game that I haven't seen for a long time in this Port Adelaide squad. Whenever he got near him I was shouting 'Kill 'em Chad!'

Things I learnt;
1. Jones is gun and Tyson will be
2. Roos is a great coach
3. We need a week off
4. Trengove is our most important player followed by Lobbe followed by Schulz

1) We whinge about umpires too much

2) Our desire to constantly have a +1 in defence throws out our entire structure all over the field. They man up, we put another won back there. We were playing an 8, sometimes 9 man defence at periods in that second half. Not good enough.

3) O'Shea and Pittard are the only two prepared to take the game on when we are in trouble.
So much this. :thumbsu:

1. Polec needs to increase his work rate. Haven't seen him get enough of the ball across half back as the "Quarterback" in recent weeks. Early on in the season he was the go to guy. Need to see more of it to get the running game going.

2. O'Shea needs to improve his disposal. I don't care if he gets 25 touches a game, if he's going to make so many sloppy errors by foot, he shouldn't be in the team. His disposal is just terrible at times, often under no pressure. To me, he seems like he's still adjusting to the pace of the AFL after spending most of the year in the SANFL.

3. I give Pittard way to much flak at times. Then every time I go back and watch the replay, and I see how much good he does. So much potential there.

4. The bye couldn't come at a better time for us. Last year we had a big form slump, had the bye, came back and beat Sydney and Collingwood (after knocking off GWS). It was the platform we needed to get into the finals. Would be nice to see something similar from our next 2 games :)

5. Is there a better player in the AFL (apart from Ablett) than Robbie Gray? Serious smokey for the Brownlow...

1. Polec needs to increase his work rate. Haven't seen him get enough of the ball across half back as the "Quarterback" in recent weeks. Early on in the season he was the go to guy. Need to see more of it to get the running game going.

2. O'Shea needs to improve his disposal. I don't care if he gets 25 touches a game, if he's going to make so many sloppy errors by foot, he shouldn't be in the team. His disposal is just terrible at times, often under no pressure. To me, he seems like he's still adjusting to the pace of the AFL after spending most of the year in the SANFL.

3. I give Pittard way to much flak at times. Then every time I go back and watch the replay, and I see how much good he does. So much potential there.

4. The bye couldn't come at a better time for us. Last year we had a big form slump, had the bye, came back and beat Sydney and Collingwood (after knocking off GWS). It was the platform we needed to get into the finals. Would be nice to see something similar from our next 2 games :)

5. Is there a better player in the AFL (apart from Ablett) than Robbie Gray? Serious smokey for the Brownlow...

Could not agree any more with what you have said here; O'Shea was by far my favorite player last season. He and Pittard seem to be the ones that are embracing our game-style the most. Neither (currently) have the skills to pull it off every time, sometimes not even most of the time, but when that pressure is able to be dealt with (see Pittard in the last two months), it will become lethal. Our entire team's skills were down significantly on the weekend, and I am incredibly happy that we have a week off to recharge our batteries.

I've never actually bet anything on sports before (I'm pretty good at poker though...), so if anyone could tell me what site / place is the best to put a sneaky $20 on Gray to win the brownlow, let me know!

Didn't work against Richmond and didn't work on the weekend. There's no point launching an attack from defence if there's nobody in the forward line to kick it to. We can't just empty out the forward line and hope that somebody will be running back to the right spot at the right time, it's not sustainable. It requires pinpoint kicking and a little bit of luck.

I'm not saying I agree with the tactic, I'm just pointing out what the reasoning behind it is. And it worked against Richmond for a while, in the third quarter especially...but as soon as a mistake is made and the defenders don't push up hard to give an outlet so the forwards have time to track back on the weak side of the ball and create opportunities for either the forwards or midfielders running up to inside 50, it's never going to be sustainable.

The problem we are having, as I've explained elsewhere, is that the defense is dropping deeper and deeper into our 50 because most of the players are running intercept types. Which means that in order to get the ball, the midfield drops deeper as well, and the forwards as well. That's why you'll have Schulz on center wing trying to win the ball - players can only kick the ball so far. If the defenders were brave enough to constantly take the game on, like they have been in the first part of the season, then you'd find the forward line would only be empty when we didn't have the ball, because the forwards would be able to push back from just outside the 50 into open space, then double back on an open lead.

If you want to know where the idea for no recognized forwards came from, have a read of this:

The birthplace of many tactical innovations is Italy, this great footballing nation is the home of the libero, the regista, and is where Lionel Messi's role, the false 9 was created. The latter of these positions was actually invented in the 4-6-0 system, at AS Roma by their manager at the time, Luciano Spalletti. Unlike Spain's 4-6-0, this formation was used for counter-attacking purposes, as the Italian side looked to score on the break through their men on the flanks.

Spalletti was somewhat forced to invent this formation, due to a lack of strikers (or lack of key forwards) during a small injury crisis at the club and it brought them success, and despite the forwards coming back from their injuries, Spalletti continued to use this system.

A lot of our play lately has come from pushing down the wings because the corridor is clogged with a high press. Of course, in football, the ground is wider and it's far easier to transition the ball, so once the opposition pushes to one side, an outlet kick to the middle should be enough to see a path to goal.

What our key forwards are essentially doing is playing as false 9s...that is, a forward/striker who drops into midfield rather than staying around the penalty/50m arc. The idea is that their defenders are meant to be in two minds as to whether they follow the player into midfield or stay without an opponent. Now, if you're playing bravely, this will cause confusion, because suddenly slow key position defenders might find themselves matched up on smaller, quicker forwards....IF the midfield/forwards push back quick enough. Which they aren't doing at the moment for the reason stated earlier.

I personally think it's a good idea for the list we have at the moment and will look spectacular when it all comes together. It's not your traditional football structure, but as Western Royboy said, Ken is an innovator. Do we need another third tall? Of course we do. We need the versatility. Another key forward who can push up while Schulz stays in the 50 or vice versa would almost make the team unbeatable tactically.

Cameron would be good. :p

1) Pittard is really coming along well now. Has strung some good games together finally and slowly starting to gain faith in him.

2) Ebert started the season with a massive bang, but has now really really dropped off. Isn't getting enough ball, absolutely burns it when he does, and his tackling has dropped.. What's up with him?

3) If we aren't going to play Butcher, stop moving Westhoff out of the forward line. If you need to move him out the forward line, then you have to play Butcher. Or at least throw Lobbe up forward? Not sure why this doesn't happen more.

4) Lobbe and Polec need a break. So does everyone else, but these two specifically

5) Wingard looks like he's starting to find some form. Just the way he went about it, could see he should be back in a week or two.

6) Wines was better than most people think against the Demons. Thought he was near BOG, though his disposal was a bit iffy at times.

7) We have some really tough games coming up - we better get our stuff sorted out quick fast.

8) Start of the season, our pressure on the ball carrier was insane. We were tackling and hassling like maniacs. That's completely gone now. Also they are side stepping our tackles far too easily.

I dont think I learnt a thing about us. I reckon all my issues with the team and what we and who do well were 100% confirmed.

I learnt Dom Tyson is a bloody good player and is so much better surronded by older players, Luke Tapscot is built like a Russian tank and Melbourne like just about every other team are physically so much bigger than us despite them being a pretty young team.

After I watched game again this time on TV:
1. Our work at stoppages needs work
2. We are hurting due to some players not playing their role. Suspects listed above.
3. Wingard will be back to best v Collingwood.
4. Newton better not be dropped!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back