Things your team does that infuriates you

Remove this Banner Ad

With almost 100 percent strike rate you can tell if the Hawks will win in the first 5 mins.
I'm not complaining with our success but when I see the first 5 mins and know we're not on it makes for a draining game to watch.
Almost always against Port or the Tigers too. Just don't seem to get up for them.

A lot of our games seem to follow a predictable script: Absolutely dominate a team for a whole quarter (usually the 2nd term), making them look completely impotent up forward while despite being wasteful we've established a nice 30 odd point lead playing some really good football.
We're that one goal away from almost breaking the other side but rather than keep going flat stick to get that goal.... we suddenly decide to stop, start playing safe, chipping it around... and then (usually one of our defenders) will try and go backwards or kick inboard when he shouldn't, screw it up completely and the opposition will kick 1 or 2 late goals completely undoing all our good work and take a big momentum surge into the next quarter. Almost without fail they'll kick 2 very quick goals to start the term and we'll take far too long to get ourselves back into the general play of the game.

Don't give enough young players a game.
So stupid that fox footy go on about "what a great oppourtunity these kids will have to play at hawthorn" no they won't there's a good chance it may take them a couple of years to get a game or if they get a game they will be dropped the next week even if they do reasonably well.

Also Schoenmakers.

In 2015, I'd say the main thing was being blown off the park, by teams of - at best - similar talent when they had nothing to play for and we were pushing for a finals spot. Not enough players stand up when the chips are down anymore and it seems like far too many players just don't quite want it enough. When Johnson was still at the Cattery, I'd say it was how rare that both he and Selwood would play well in the same game, because one of them would invariably be tagged into insignificance every week. Players doing dumb things over and over again and getting suspended, then hearing all week about how "unfortunate" the suspension was and the same players doing the same dumb things again shortly after they return. Oh, and Chris Scott's press conferences after a loss.

Also, there's the issue of the team sleepwalking through first quarters. Or second halves. Or third quarters. We just know that a four quarter Cat performance is as rare as rocking horse s**t, whether Geelong is playing Hawthorn or Carlton. I suppose most teams around the middle of the road have that issue though.

Pissing away the first 8-10 rounds of every season.
Sam Gibson being immune to being dropped.
Will not / can not play 4 quarters of intense footy against anyone. (usually the second quarter)
Brad Scott's press conferences when we lose.
Losing to s**t teams and then beating someone good the next week.
Hopeless goalkicking.
The dumb inflatable sausage/banner thing (Thank god Brion the Lion came along and beat it for naffness)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give away cheap goals in red time.

Kicking across goals to switch play and then creating a turn over.

too handball happy at times.

Drafting Victorians.

You guys probably won't be dealing with that this year. Looks like you guys can go close to 9-0 this year with your opening 9 rounds

You'd think it's a chance - no game in that first 9 is a definite no. But watch us be 5-4 at best anyway. Including another pet peeve for North I forgot - massive external expectations (can't help what others think) going into the season all evaporating after a pathetic effort in Round 1.

We haven't laid a shepherd in years. Related to that, we're terrible at winning clean possession in 2-on-1 or 3-on-2 situations because no-one blocks out an opponent.

Kicking 12.0 in a quarter in the rain vs GC or like 25.6 against GWS, then 5.20 in a game when it actually matters.

Constantly conceding soft goals at the end of quarters.

Keep giving games to Sam Gibson ffs
Wake up. Gibson was clearly our best player in the final series. He destroyed Ellis and Jetta and at least broke even with Gaff. Sure his disposal is ordinary, but he consistently outworks the opposition's best transition midfielder.

Giving the arse to club champs who had a year left (Chappy and Stevie J)

Giving the arse to club champs who had a year left (Chappy and Stevie J)

Considering some of the dubious players that we've kept (Smedts), promoted (Luxford) or drafted (four picks in this week's draft, the earliest of which was #59 - has that ever happened?), I've got to assume it was a money thing with Johnson...I'm less confident with Chapman. I can't believe that the people in charge of our list would think for a second that any number of the aforementioned players will provide more value over the rest of their careers than Johnson will for the rest of his career (even if that is just one year). Johnson's good for three or more BOGs a year. Has Smedts ever featured in the best players in a game, since debuting in 2012?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back