World Cup Third place playoff: Brazil vs Netherlands (13th July 6:00AM AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

349.png
vs
1552.png

rb0hdor.png

ZlgPXGB.png

This match up would have made for a pretty interesting World Cup final. Instead, it is a match for third place, the match that you would rather not play as the bigger prize is out of reach for another four years.

Brazil, wow, what can you say? They were smoked by the Germans. However, as good as the Germans were, Brazil were equally just as poor and really, they only have themselves to blame for their 7-1 loss against the Germans. Can they get up for this match after the disappointment of not making a World Cup final in their own backyard? Time will tell. You hope for the sake of Brazilian football that they do.

The Netherlands were really doing all the right things in this tournament and were looking to make back to back World Cup finals in the hopes to go one better than last year. However, in the end, they just didn't play enough attacking football to reach the final and they now find themselves playing for third place against the host nation. How they will approach this game will be the big question.

Not sure who's going to win this one. It's pretty obvious; whoever wants it more, should come away with third place. The head-to-head is pretty even. You just hope that both sides play some attacking and exciting football in their last match of the 2014 World Cup.

Final prediction: Brazil 2-1 Netherlands

Last edited:

Brazil have so much to play for in this match and I expect them to field a close to full-strength side and hope to regain some lost respect from the Brazilian public. Netherlands will probably play a second-string side and give some of their next generation some valuable experience on the big stage. I doubt we'll see Fred or Maicon line up for the hosts.

I'll probably be leaning towards the Dutch in terms of who I'd rather see win (especially if Krul and Janmaat are starting).

Reckon the Brazilians will come out firing though and might win it.

Reckon the Brazilians might be shot mentally, but will certainly be interesting. This game is more about Brazil than the Dutch, but can't say I'll be too keen to get up for it, beyond sorting out my fantasy side. :p

The third place match is usually pretty attacking and entertaining, teams obviously aren't too bothered about defence, but you get the feeling Brazil won't want to be conceding too many here.

It's really hard to get excited about a third place playoff and I certainly won't be waking up early in the morning to watch it even if they are generally played with an attacking mindset. Brazil have more to play for given what happened but I have a feeling the Dutch might get up if they play their best available line-up because Brazil most certainly will be.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must be hard for teams to get up for this game after missing out on the final, it doesn't really matter who wins as no one cares about it or remembers who finished third.

Probably more important for Brazil to win to regain some lost pride but if the Dutch take it seriously I'd tip them to win it.

Personally. Rather than seeing this game as anything serious. It's more about having some time to enjoy a game, without any favouritism, and celebrate the final days of the tournament.

Yeah, something like that. The 3rd place game is often the best of the tournament as a spectacle as players are generally relaxed and, though they play to win, they tend to come out of their shells a bit and just play football.

They often (not always) are good viewing - if you only like watching games that have life and death implications, then don't bother and don't complain either. If you like the idea of a tournament winding down with a bit of entertainment and sportsmanship, then this is here for you.

calling it now...the stadium will be half empty...:cool::p
Or the fans will go there and tear the stadium apart!

They don't do it at the Euro's either. It's pointless.
I agree it does seen excessive and probably a way for FIFA to squeeze out some more dollars but the Brazilian team would be thrilled to have another match to go some way to making amends for the Germany loss. Although there were eliminated, no team would want to end their campaign (especially at home) with a score line like that. I'm actually really looking forward to the match and how players like David Luiz and Oscar respond, if they're given a start.

I like the 3rd place playoff actually. It means a lot to some teams like Croatia in 98 and Turkey 2002 and there would be more. Some teams want that bronze medal, for some it goes a long way to giving them some happiness, redemption and leaving the tournament on a good note.

I like the 3rd place playoff actually. It means a lot to some teams like Croatia in 98 and Turkey 2002 and there would be more. Some teams want that bronze medal, for some it goes a long way to giving them some happiness, redemption and leaving the tournament on a good note.

I for one don't mind the third place playoff; however, I wouldn't miss it if it didn't happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back