This Hawks team. POTENTIALLY the best ever ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Obviously 86-89 tem has a lot to say, and the potential is unfilled.

But assuming they can achieve similar success, how do they rate ? On what we have seen so far.

Immediately we think of the geelong question, and that the 86-89 team would be the one inflicting mental demons on other sides. But they did have losses to other top teams of the era

But im really questioning rather than stating here

I LOVE this current era, enjoying each and every living second of it. But the 70s and 80s Hawks left mental scars on other teams, players and supporters that are still being felt today.

Nice post:thumbsu:.....You forgot to add commentators to THAT list also....Most of whom were playing back then!;)

FWIW; The 1988 Premiership team was our best ever!...Our current team & run of success compares favourably to the mid 70's thus far.

1982-1994
longest successive finals sequence in history of the game
7 grand finals in succession the equal most in the history of the game
8 grand finals in 9 years for 5 flags including back to back 88-89

1971-1978
4 grand finals in 9 years for 3 flags and a couple of top 4 finishes

The challenge for this era of team is to win 1 more flag to equal 70's era, and 2 flags to come close to 82-94 dynasty…they will need to win 3 more flags to begin comparing 82-94 era

This team can definitely win at least 1 more flag with hard work, focus and desire/hunger for success

in the mean time, its "one week at a time", player management esp the older players, getting a top 2 finish

Nice post:thumbsu:.....You forgot to add commentators to THAT list also....Most of whom were playing back then!;)

FWIW; The 1988 Premiership team was our best ever!...Our current team & run of success compares favourably to the mid 70's thus far.
That's what I meant by players: players who are now commentators etc now...

Probably too late for the current team to win another two flags. Mitchell, Sewell, Hodge and Burgoyne won't be around that long - unless we go for a premiership hat trick 2013, 2014 & 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nifty little tidbit:
After 7 rounds (before the first lot of byes) we not only have the highest points scored, but also the lowest points against. Belting sides offensively whilst choking them defensively. Love it!

Well the ball is spending a lot of time down our end. Hard for the oppo to kick goals from there.

Seriously though, the backline is holding up pretty well and still isn't settled yet.

Nifty little tidbit:
After 7 rounds (before the first lot of byes) we not only have the highest points scored, but also the lowest points against. Belting sides offensively whilst choking them defensively. Love it!

Thats my point, so far, they are not doing too much wrong, thus potential in capital letters

Ps tuck was 36 ? In 1989

Not even in the same league at the moment, but if we win the next 2 flags and 4 of the next 6 I'll reconsider my opinion:cool:

That's what I meant by players: players who are now commentators etc now...

Grrreeeeen with envy the lot of em mate....Especially the one's who never won a flag....And boy doesn't it show....They hate us!
Thats my point, so far, they are not doing too much wrong, thus potential in capital letters

Ps tuck was 36 ? In 1989

Pretty sure Tuck was 37 when he finished up with the 1991 Premiership Cup in his hands!

This...

The comparison is excellent...

1971 is 2008 (the start of the dynasty)
1974 is 2011
1975 is 2012 (huge favourites)
1976 is 2013
1978 is hopefully 2014 or 2015

The 1970's is a greatly underrated era for Hawthorn,obviously overshaddowed by our 80's success. For most other clubs it would have grounds to be considered the era in its own right.

Between the 70's, 80's/early 90's and late 00's/10's we are the most spoilt club in Australian sport

Not even in the same universe as our 1988 team which is the best I've seen.

Mind you that says a lot about how thinly talent is spread among the league nowadays. Back then our team was literally stuffed to the gills with stars, and I don't mean stars in the modern-day football media sense, where literally anyone can 'earn' themselves the tag by playing two or three good games or pulling on a Collingwood or Essendon jumper. Hello Jamie Elliot.

One thing I will say is that this year's side has really struck me as being the most disciplined and team-first oriented since our 80's/90's glory era. I can't think of a better way to compliment the work Al Clarkson has done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back