Roast This made me a little bit sick - EF v Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't really like to single out anyone really, but Jake Batchelor's* effort here in the first quarter of the Elimination Final makes me really upset.

At this point, we're getting dominated, but at the start of the play, the ball is being bounced in the middle. No excuses, you'd be on your man, had a slight rest, etc.

Watch him, bottom of the screen around the 50 metre arc as his man, Ollie Wines absolutely dominates him because this 'defender' isn't doing his job. Watch Batch for the entire clip, he gives up so far in advance, it makes me so angry.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-r...404&eventType=Goal&seek=911&videoQuality=high

This is why I'm so sick of seeing shitty videos telling me how upset the players are they've lost etc.

RFC have a fair way to go, in my opinion.

*Pretty sure it's Batch.

Good pick up. Barely broke a sweat with that run. I think Conca was Wines' direct opponent by the vision, but you're correct, Batch had more then enough time to close him down.

Agree a lack of effort is not good enough. But you could get footage of probably most players on that day getting beaten in a 30 second piece in isolation......

Agree a lack of effort is not good enough. But you could get footage of probably most players on that day getting beaten in a 30 second piece in isolation......
Yeah, I know, which is why I said I didn't like singling out one moment from a match. But, for some reason, this just made me really angry. Batch just jogs for the entire time. It's a final and the first quarter. Surely you'd be making an effort.

PS: I don't care who his direct opponent is. ;)

In contrast,On FC on Tuesday night they showed a clip of Gary Rohan.Got the ball in his def 50..Ran and carried the ball to the attacking side of the square did a Gary Rohan of a kick,Ball cameback over his head with all the swans out of position,The ball reaches a Norf player inside 50 who takes off only to be mowed down by guess who.Rohan.Thats the difference between us and a top 4 side.
They really should show that vision to our playing group.

s**t - that was very very lame from Batch... deserves to sit out round 1 on that effort alone but unfortunately if that was the stance the club took then we would have trouble finding 22 available players at all!

The bigger question rfctigerarmy is, why the * would you be watching any of that game again?
I have not gone near a replay of last years EF let alone our catastrophe v Power!!!

Or are you strapped in at Groupie_ 's place in front of an LED screen with your eyes taped open with the game on continual loop or something....

The bigger question rfctigerarmy is, why the **** would you be watching any of that game again?
I have not gone near a replay of last years EF let alone our catastrophe v Power!!!

I watched the replay the day I got back from Adelaide to see what the match looked like on telly. I remember spotting this moment and only until now have realised how to post a clip from the match. :)

ordinary footballer just like grigg, pettard, morris, how they are in our best 22 sums up our finals efforst
Guarantee you that Petterd & Morris would have been sprinting their guts out to get back and defend - effort is not their issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty glaring there from Batch.

I like him as a player and I know that was his first final but he only had 1 kick, 1 mark and 1 tackle to show for his efforts that day. In the footage, did Newy give someone a spray as the teams were going back to their positions for the bounce (after the goal)? Wonder if it was directed at Batch?

very very poor by batch, but it magnifies 100 fold when you get smashed. you could find at least 20 more poor efforts in the first quarter alone.
hopefully this has been shown to him with northey's old quote 'dont you ever f*n do that again!'

Watching the replay I saw plenty of those examples of poor defensive running, Batch wasnt the only one.
Chaplins poor tackling alone cost us multiple goals in the first quarter.

Maybe the guys had shut down mentally after the 9 straight to get there, maybe we were just physically spent, teams can only stay up for so long, maybe we're still mentally weak on the big stage....probably a little of each.

I think this is the reason for our constant attempts to play the possession gamestyle, so we can win games without overtaxing the players, unfortunately we dont have the skills to pull it off and are forced back into the contested gamestyle which allows for mistakes but is physically taxing.

I reckon we had an attacking mindset from the opening bounce. And we thought the defensive stuff would just happen.

Finals footy isn't just contested footy, it's about applying more defensive pressure.

Not good from Batch, but agree that Wines was Conca's direct opponent.

You see him break away from Conca, Batch is caught between sticking with his opponent or covering for Conca and leaving his man free. What looks like lazy or disinterested is actually indecision whether to commit to Wines. Very likely that if he does that, soft handball goes over the top to his (free) man. Still a bad decision not to go in this situation.

The whole day was bad, at least most of you blokes werent stuck on a train with port supporters, in a pub with port supporters where some prick put on were from tigerland and they sang it to take the piss outta me, the only Tig in the bar. I know i could have taken my Richmond gear off but F@CK that, i aint backing down from a bunch of men in teal.........

I hope the whole team learned a lesson from that one, to be fair we looked tired though (well that was my impression at the ground)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back