This time last year, Richmond were in the same position as Carlton are now.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
.....and made the finals.

Mind blowing when you think about it.

3-10, 16th on the ladder with the 8th placed team 5 wins ahead with an 8-5 record.

Looking back I don't think many of us, including Richmond supporters, really appreciated how incredible it was at the time. When you look at it from this perspective, it's pretty staggering. Could you imagine Carlton finishing above both Richmond and Adelaide from where they are now?

Just goes to show that a lot can happen in 9 weeks of footy. As bad as they've been, I wouldn't be writing off Port and North as finals possibilities just yet. As we saw last year, you can come back from much worse.

The OP was comparing Richmond's position to North and Port's position. The "much worse" did not refer to Carlton.;)

Richmond were 3-10...Carlton are 3-10.

Ipso facto, Barry was being a little rude and I am mildly offended.

Hahaha I really hope Carlton can make the finals. Would be hilarious.

No chance of this happening whatsoever.
Yes we have improved under Barker, but we could struggle to win a couple more games for the year.
We still have to play Hawthorn twice, Fremantle away, Collingwood and North Melbourne.

No chance of this happening whatsoever.
Yes we have improved under Barker, but we could struggle to win a couple more games for the year.
We still have to play Hawthorn twice, Fremantle away, Collingwood and North Melbourne.
Yes, not the best draw. But even a win over Collingwood will be great, considering your perpetual struggles against them under Malthouse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, not the best draw. But even a win over Collingwood will be great, considering your perpetual struggles against them under Malthouse.

Depending on who is fit at the time, we might get North as well. We do match up ok against them, and who really knows which North will show up that night.

If it's anything like what North showed up with last night, you guys have it in the bag.

Yeah there must have been deplorable.
I'm also looking forward to facing Hawthorn as well. Test ourselves against the best, and see how we go.
Must say i'm getting sick of losing to your mob.
Bloody Fev!!

Remarkable transformation. Helps when your top 10 players are healthy and don't miss any games.

They've found 1 or 2 extra mids to help out on the midfield and got themselves a bona fide head ducker in Miles.

Dustin Martin is the most important player imo. Matching Dangerfield in output but not accolades.

Just needs to find the same consistency....But yes, his last 8 weeks have been tremendous & he is the catalyst for that side & their match-winner.

Dustin Martin is the most important player imo. Matching Dangerfield in output but not accolades.

It's off-topic, but Danger is more consistent and is largely getting the attention right now because he is a free agent. Martin, and his agent, have already tried to play that game, but apparently, his off-field issues were enough to prevent any team from wanting to get him... really doesn't have anyone to blame but himself for that. (And that might not be a bad thing for him - I'm sure he's happy at Richmond)

Yep no good making the finals only to be humiliated. We have had a few of those nightmare finals where I wished we hadnt snuck into the 8

I don't really agree with that.

I think the Richmond players (and fans) would've gained so much belief from that run last year that they are a team that can beat everybody... it wouldn't have been anywhere near the same if they had the streak but still missed the 8. This year they have continued to show that at times, but just need to be able to do it consistently.

Yep no good making the finals only to be humiliated. We have had a few of those nightmare finals where I wished we hadnt snuck into the 8

Don't stress...it's not like those s**t trucks at Carlton have a better recent finals record than you guys...

North have a great draw from memory as well.
They do, but we've seen since 2012 that they are very prone to dropping easy games.

They still have to play Geelong, Carlton, Essendon, Freo, Melbourne, Richmond, WB, St Kilda and Brisbane away (where they haven't won in over a decade). Now they'd probably only go in as underdogs in the Freo game (and maybe Richmond) but if they dish up what they did yesterday then there's no chance they can go 7-2 in that stretch, and with such a poor percentage 6-3 won't be enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back