News Thomas and Keefe - 2 year ban - Trade, De-List, Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

And maybe they're not.
That's how the discussion ended up here.

Some of us are just thinking about the more plausible option. Still, you could be right.

In any case, I think the general consensus is that they're screwed anyway.

I agree they are screwed. What really annoys me about this whole thing is the damage it has caused the club. I am still struggling to believe this has happened.

Hope you don't mind the intrusion, from a wider football community I really hope they are found to have done nothing wrong. Best wish to the club, the players and their families during this time. Having met Josh a few times, he is a genuinely down to earth guy so maybe I'm a little more self invested. I'll follow this and I hope both players get a positive outcome.

Kind Regards.

An athlete on a team trip to a foreign country doing anything illegal is just dumb - doesn't matter if they're going for a slash in public or procuring illicit drugs or buying uranium.

These guys are meant to be ambassadors for their country, their club and themselves.

Forget risk of getting busted under 3 strikes. What about risk of buying from an undercover cop? Risk of buying something that's more pure than they're used to? Risk of buying something that's laced with something that puts them in hospital?

I'm not sure what angle you're coming from here 76 and whilst I'd agree that it's moronic in the extreme it just is what it is. From reading this thread it appears to be established that on any given weekend we're talking about a high % of these guys sourcing this stuff (at least 70%, IMO). They're going to get on the gear regardless of the situation and the 3 questions you raise are things they don't even remotely consider at any point in time so why would it be any different whilst overseas?

The oft trotted out "AFL footballers are idiots" by and large is true so whilst we would love for them to be role models and make considered decisions with the best interests of the game, sponsors, club officials and us at heart the reality is once they head out each weekend they just want to have a good time and get on the gear regardless of the consequences.

Two of their teammates losing their careers may be a wake up call to some, but it will be business as usual for most over the long weekend...

Beer and cigarattes are regulated substances.

That's not totally foolproof, as the recent blueberry episode showed.

Athletes who are responsible for what goes into their body simply should not be putting unregulated substances into themselves.
Look, we're getting too far off track. I think that my point has been made. I love beer and, (still) love a ciggy with a beer if I can, despite having quit. I know how bad they are for anyone, let alone a professional athlete, regulated or not. I've also mentioned earlier that if the government regulated drugs, they would be better quality and the community would benefit in a number of ways, including financially. Look at Colorado.

Yes, they are stupid for taking anything that could end their careers. But they are also unlucky in that they are two of many who do the same and just got a s**t batch. (This is, of course, if the coke story is true)

What is pathetic is that they are immediately labelled 'cheats' and 'druggos' when, in this scenario, they are neither. And people are entitled to defend that.

I won't defend 'stupid' or 'unlucky' and I also have a lot of sympathy for them.

Hope you don't mind the intrusion, from a wider football community I really hope they are found to have done nothing wrong. Best wish to the club, the players and their families during this time. Having met Josh a few times, he is a genuinely down to earth guy so maybe I'm a little more self invested. I'll follow this and I hope both players get a positive outcome.

Kind Regards.
Thanks for the kind words,it's very much appreciated.I'm also hoping for the best for these players,but realistically you'd have to say it's not looking good for them.It's hard to see how they can get out of this situation,unless a miracle occurs.

Thanks for the kind words,it's very much appreciated.I'm also hoping for the best for these players,but realistically you'd have to say it's not looking good for them.It's hard to see how they can get out of this situation,unless a miracle occurs.

I'm not so sure I want them to get a "positive outcome" in fact I'd really love a negative response on the test!

Michael Rogers got off from memory, so you never know. We should all let the B samples come back first and foremost, but then if that is positive (and being realistic it usually is), then they deserve to defend themselves at the tribunal/hearing. Who knows. I just hope whatever happens that Collingwood support them through the process.

Michael Rogers got off from memory, so you never know. We should all let the B samples come back first and foremost, but then if that is positive (and being realistic it usually is), then they deserve to defend themselves at the tribunal/hearing. Who knows. I just hope whatever happens that Collingwood support them through the process.

Well, they will get Sacked pretty much on March 14th or 15th if B Sample is Postive.

Then, yes Courts might be brought into it after that but I can not see us taking them back either way

Appreciate your positive words but if they test positive in the B sample I want them gone.

Well, they will get Sacked pretty much on March 14th or 15th if B Sample is Postive.

Then, yes Courts might be brought into it after that but I can not see us taking them back either way

Sacked/de-registered or whatever, the point stands. The club and for that matter the AFL should support these boys. They are both very young, they can both learn from it and who knows become role models for other players in a similar situation.

Doubt you will sack them till after the hearing anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appreciate your positive words but if they test positive in the B sample I want them gone.

Will be interesting if Collingwood de-register them then or wait till the hearing. One would expect Collingwood to apply (or have already applied) for 2 extra rookies. Either way we hope the truth comes out and I just hope (probably me being a softie) that they are innocent and got caught up in a situation.

Will be interesting if Collingwood de-register them then or wait till the hearing. One would expect Collingwood to apply (or have already applied) for 2 extra rookies. Either way we hope the truth comes out and I just hope (probably me being a softie) that they are innocent and got caught up in a situation.

You are far more forgiving than me!

Sacked/de-registered or whatever, the point stands. The club and for that matter the AFL should support these boys. They are both very young, they can both learn from it and who knows become role models for other players in a similar situation.

Doubt you will sack them till after the hearing anyway.

Eddie has said, B-Samples are Postive they are Gone/Sacked/De-Listed.

Though I guess we will give them Both Time to see IF they except that or want to try and Challenge it then. Guess Collingwood might not do anything IF they decide to Challenge as we could get in more Trouble IF there Appeal works

You are far more forgiving than me!

I guess probably because I can look at it sort of neutrally to some degree. I would hate it and probably have your thoughts if it were two Sydney players, so I get your way of thinking. Either way you have a fantastic club and they will make the correct call, have no doubt about it.

Eddie has said, B-Samples are Postive they are Gone/Sacked/De-Listed.

Though I guess we will give them Both Time to see IF they except that or want to try and Challenge it then. Guess Collingwood might not do anything IF they decide to Challenge as we could get in more Trouble IF there Appeal works

Your last line is what I recon will happen. On one hand you don't want to sack them and they get found innocent...on the other hand you can't have 2 players not playing all season. No doubt Collingwood will negotiate with the players before making the right call.

Your last line is what I recon will happen. On one hand you don't want to sack them and they get found innocent...on the other hand you can't have 2 players not playing all season. No doubt Collingwood will negotiate with the players before making the right call.
They will certainly wait for the outcome of any tribunal hearing before taking any action. Until then, they will support the lads as they should. They are provisionally suspended anyway. No need to jump to any premature decisions.

They will certainly wait for the outcome of any tribunal hearing before taking any action. Until then, they will support the lads as they should. They are provisionally suspended anyway. No need to jump to any premature decisions.

It would be nice to get an update from the club.

Definitely the correct call, and best of luck to the players, the club, their families and of course the diehard Collingwood fans. It is the innocent people in this that get hurt the most and I frankly hate it. Hope they are innocent anyway.

Well, you hope that they can work it out ASAP

Definitely the correct call, and best of luck to the players, the club, their families and of course the diehard Collingwood fans. It is the innocent people in this that get hurt the most and I frankly hate it. Hope they are innocent anyway.

Would you call them Innocent IF they did Illicit Drugs to mistakenly get the Performance Enhancing Drugs?

It is a Tough Call

Well, you hope that they can work it out ASAP

One tip, it won't be quick. These things never take a week. Be patient. Players have rights in these processes and they have to be adhered to as that is where appeals can be won (yes this is legal talk)

It would be nice to get an update from the club.
True. At this stage they might not have anything to add however. I doubt that we'll hear much until the B sample is done other than very straight bat comments

Remove this Banner Ad

Back