Thoughts On Burgoyne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 22, 2010
In The Centre Of The Octagon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Robbie Whittaker
Did a search but couldn't find anything related so thought that I would put this out there.

I think he could hold the X factor for us if he has a big finals series.

You constantly here that in Victoria some times we don't appreciate how good some players from interestate are. In 2006 some of the media and Josh Francou a team mate claimed he was as good or if not could be better than Judd.

I was excited when the club landed him, and thought his first year after not completing a full pre-season was pretty good.

I thought this year would be his break out year, and whilst showing glimpses of what he is capable of, I just don't think he has taken the next step.

Recruited as a midfielder, and given the quality of our midfield, I thought he would take games apart without all the attention on him. However he can't even break into our starting midfield group.

This isn't a bagging thread, but I don't think his year this year, is as good as last year. Is he injured??

hodge#15

Debutant
Mar 22, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Burgers will be thrown into the forward line at some stage during the finals.

This is definetly one move Clarko has up his sleeve. He will rise to the occasion .

DannyJ

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Whenever he plays midfield, he carves it up. We seem to use him there when we really need him there ie Fremantle at the G' and North in Tassie.

He is such a versatile player. When recruited I rated him the third best player on our list. He is a bit lower than that, however still in our top 7 for me.

I really rate Burgers.

Although he hasn't ripped games apart consistently, I reckon he has provided a really settling influence down back and offers such flexibility. During the finals, I can see him producing a clearance or bit of magic in the forward 50 that we desperately need (see Norths game for latest offering).

Sometimes is harshly rated, but probably because he is measured against such high standards. I will be interested to see the Crimmins points to see how the coaches have rated him this year.

mess

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Jun 17, 2008
Emerald VIC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think he's playing a lesser role than he's capable of with an eye on longevity and in the knowledge our midfield is good enough without him for the regular season.

Remember his knee is an issue, I think I recall it being said it could last 6 days or 6 years.

Beachy

Senior List
Jun 3, 2010
kew
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Burgers has been very important to our structure this year. Played forward at the start and was kicking goals, moved down back and provides quiality touches and is extremly creative. Many and the things he does you don't notice. A hand ball between two opposition players on the goal line that lead to a break, open space and a chains of kicks to a goal. I think that his 20 touches a game are 20 creative and damaging touches. Will be a very important cog in the team come finals time.

Big A

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've been dissapointed by Burger so far. But a few times recently when he's gone into the centre for a quarter he has carved it up which rekindles my faith.

He is a massive x-factor weapon up our sleeve for us, and considering imo Shiels is slowing up a little, I'm sure/hopeful they will give him more game time in the centre from now. Smart, quick and effective he will be like a gun mid new recruit on the eve of the finals

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think he's playing a lesser role than he's capable of with an eye on longevity and in the knowledge our midfield is good enough without him for the regular season.

Remember his knee is an issue, I think I recall it being said it could last 6 days or 6 years.]

Nail. Head.

Being so versatile, Silk will be an awesome weapon come finals time

Hawka19

All Australian
Sep 28, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Much like the guy who previously wore the no.9 jumper, I think he'll be used here, there and everywhere depending on numerous things from week-to-week. Whenever we're under pressure though, he seems to be there when we need him to keep everyone calm and composed. Never see him make mistakes either.

He'll be very important next month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
We saw how dangerous he can be as a forward early in the year, and we see how damaging he can be as a mid whenever he gets put there. The last qtr vs North is a prime example of that. I am convinced that he is one of the tricks up Clarko's sleeve for the finals. I think we'll see him start forward at some point, possibly against Geelong, and rotate through the mid-field in bursts. He will have a huge impact for us, I am sure.

Goody1971

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Hawksville
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've really enjoyed what he has contributed to the team this year, but would love to see those moments of absolute brilliance happen a bit more frequently - hopefully this will come in September!:cool:

hawksfan71

Club Legend
May 22, 2010
Enemy Territory (Geelong)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeh definitely a bit quieter than this time last year. However, what a gun kick he is, how good is it having him there as well? Perhaps he will shine some magic in the finals. We have so many star players, hes definitely no Rioli,. but who is lol.

Nov 22, 2010
In The Centre Of The Octagon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Robbie Whittaker
As stated in my OP, I think he too has the potential to really have an influence in the finals, I'm more wondering what people think of his year to date?

Where would people see his year for the club if he produces exactly the same come finals time?

We gave up a top 10 pick for an A grade midfielder who spends hardly any time in the mid field. I have to be honest I expected a bit more from him, there have been times when I wouldn't even know if he was on the ground.

Stratton_Gun

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 4, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Think he has been great this year but more than likely will only have a couple of years left after this one. I like him in the backline or forward line tbh. We have enough grunt strong bodied mids but not with his versatility to play forward or back. Also his kicking is sublime

Dec 14, 2007
Thomastown
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United!!!!
i'm really loving him in the back half. Has this calmness about him that reassures me when he gets a hold of the ball... and his disposal is so damn good! Would love seeing him in bursts in the midfield because he is an absolute gun! He will get better.

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
His versatility is the key I think. Can play anywhere and have an impact.

Whilst he's not ripping games open, his comppsure of late has been important in defence, and I've been surprised how good he is one on one in defence. The beauty is, whilst I think he could be a going a lot better, he's far from our worst and only needs a handful of possies to be damaging for us.

I feel (hope) he'll have a good september for us.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
He seemed to start the year as a forward moving into the midfield and has ended it as a back moving in to the midfield.

We seem to use him in the guts when the pace has gone from the game and he can use his natural clearance ability.

I still think we paid too much for him. His knee looks shot and his best footy is well behind him.

If he does a Stewie Dew, then it will have been a great move. If he doesn't win a flag with us, then it will have been bad use of a top ten pick.

Back