Thoughts On Burgoyne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the ideo of his review on hawthorn webpage. WOW!!
I can't believe how good he is. He is quick with a burst from nothing, who needs dangerfield when we have a burgoyne. I am blown away quite honestly it made me think that Burgoyne is our best player by a long shot. If he was 26 you would probably be cursing his inconsistent performance as he doesn't do it all game but for us at this time he is like the break glass in case of emergency type we just say go for five minutes and he does, game won thank yer mother for the rabbits

Double like. They should change the name of the video from 'Season Review: Burgoyne' to 'How do everything in top-level footy good...'

That is a pretty impressive highlights package, a full display of the skills of football, only thing it may lack is roving from a pack but gee whiz who am I to critique the great one. A thing people fail to realise is sides are well aware of his abilities and I think they avoid the tackle for fear of him creating the loose man, so they instead zone around him, giving Burgoyne a little space and time is probably worse than trying to lay a tackle and being down right embarrassed with a shimmy or a fend off.
As he doesn't do it often it is never debated but he is (in my golden eyes) the best set shot kick for goal in our side. That 2012 game in Sydney will attest to that.

That is a pretty impressive highlights package, a full display of the skills of football, only thing it may lack is roving from a pack but gee whiz who am I to critique the great one. A thing people fail to realise is sides are well aware of his abilities and I think they avoid the tackle for fear of him creating the loose man, so they instead zone around him, giving Burgoyne a little space and time is probably worse than trying to lay a tackle and being down right embarrassed with a shimmy or a fend off.
As he doesn't do it often it is never debated but he is (in my golden eyes) the best set shot kick for goal in our side. That 2012 game in Sydney will attest to that.
Big call when we have both Gunston and Breust in the side... But the fact that I'm actually even weighing it up in my mind as to how he compares to those two probably vindicates your statement. He is very, very good.

What we don't appreciate as Hawks supporters is that for 5 years we have been playing a seriously talented A-grade midfielder on a bank flank. Burgoyne could have gone into the middle and done the exact same thing Mitchell does and poll 20+ Brownlow votes every season since 2010. You have to tip your hat to him that he accepted the role the way he has and foregone a lot of individual accolades in doing so. In exchange he has won 2 premiership so I am sure he is ok with it but we shouldn't forget that he is an out and out gun just because he is played in less glamorous position. One glimpse of the 2013 PF is all it takes to remind you of that fact.

upload_2014-11-12_0-4-42.png

What we don't appreciate as Hawks supporters is that for 5 years we have been playing a seriously talented A-grade midfielder on a bank flank. Burgoyne could have gone into the middle and done the exact same thing Mitchell does and poll 20+ Brownlow votes every season since 2010. You have to tip your hat to him that he accepted the role the way he has and foregone a lot of individual accolades in doing so. In exchange he has won 2 premiership so I am sure he is ok with it but we shouldn't forget that he is an out and out gun just because he is played in less glamorous position. One glimpse of the 2013 PF is all it takes to remind you of that fact.

View attachment 91883
Well pointed out mate, agree with you 100%.
Btw how awesome is that Port side. They must regret they only saluted once with that list.
I know that Brissy was up there with one of the best sides of era, but IIRC they had their measure in a lot of the H&A games.

It's like he's in one of those sci fi movies where he gets to see five seconds ahead of 'real time'.

Good call, I reckon Burgoyne has a Terminator-like brain:

1. When the Hawks are winning, his brain is a cool blue, with pleasant choral music playing in the background.

2. When the Hawks are losing, a red light switches on, a siren screams: "DANGER, DANGER, DANGER!" - and his brain roars "MUST WIN GAME"!

Pretty simple really.

View attachment 91883

If I had to get the ball out from a bounce, I would send in Burgoyne and Roughead. That said, nobody goes in the middle and does what Sam Mitchell does.

If I had to get the ball out from a bounce, I would send in Burgoyne and Roughead. That said, nobody goes in the middle and does what Sam Mitchell does.
I'd send Roughy, Burgoyne, Rioli and Mitchell if we had to win a clean clearance. I'd tell Rough not to bother contesting the ruck, just shepard out the most dangerous opposition mid (or mids if possible) and then I'd back the other 3 to shark the tap and run free to the edge of the square before either drilling a goal from 55 out on the run or hitting Gunston or Breust on the tit 20m out dead in front.

I'd send Roughy, Burgoyne, Rioli and Mitchell if we had to win a clean clearance. I'd tell Rough not to bother contesting the ruck, just shepard out the most dangerous opposition mid (or mids if possible) and then I'd back the other 3 to shark the tap and run free to the edge of the square before either drilling a goal from 55 out on the run or hitting Gunston or Breust on the tit 20m out dead in front.
That's quite an imagination

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's quite an imagination
Admittedly I stole this play from Clarko's super special playbook. He was saving this particular play for the Grand Final but given the opposition midfield didn't show up there was no point wasting it.

THink Jordie Lewis has shown in the last year or so he is also a master in there. Love his hardness in there.

Big call when we have both Gunston and Breust in the side... But the fact that I'm actually even weighing it up in my mind as to how he compares to those two probably vindicates your statement. He is very, very good.

I'd say he's the best kick in our side fullstop. Accuracy, vision, penetration and consistency. He is literally the perfect player.

Ice in his veins.

If the match winning goal had to be taken after the siren I'd want Burgoyne taking it ahead of even Gunston and Breust.

View attachment 91883

Very well pointed out. And the occasions he has gone into the middle, he is still a clearance monster.

Our midfield and centre bounce rotations is the thing that has impressed me most about our last couple of years

We didn't really "manage" Burgoyne this year, he was one of only a few that played every single game.

Bruest? Poppy? Birch? Did Lewis play every game as well?

Out of a possible 100 Games over the past 4 seasons from 2011-2014 inclusive, Burgoyne has played the most 96/100....Next best is Jordan Lewis on 92/100, then Breust on 91/100....That says sumfin bout his resilience in over-coming his initial knee concerns when we first drafted him!

Not bad for an old hack, to out-do every other player on our list!....We have won 80 out of those 100 games in our most successful run since the 80's.....Due in no small measure, to Burgoyne's presence!

Out of a possible 100 Games over the past 4 seasons from 2011-2014 inclusive, Burgoyne has played the most 96/100....Next best is Jordan Lewis on 92/100, then Breust on 91/100....That says sumfin bout his resilience in over-coming his initial knee concerns when we first drafted him!

Not bad for an old hack, to out-do every other player on our list!....We have won 80 out of those 100 games in our most successful run since the 80's.....Due in no small measure, to Burgoyne's presence!
How did we do in those 4 games without him?

Not a loaded question. I have no idea if he was injured or rested, or if we won or lost those games. Just interested to see if there was a pattern.

Not a loaded question. I have no idea if he was injured or rested, or if we won or lost those games. Just interested to see if there was a pattern.

Dunno....Sounds like one for Hawkk to answer.....Though I can tell you that in the same period both Cyril & Hodge have missed up to an entire season each!

I can remember the two he missed in 2013 - it was a two week suspension for a high bump against Port. We beat the Dogs in Tassie (featuring Hodgey's smother and goal and Cheney's goal square shank) and the Bombers by 10 or so goals where Buddy kicked 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back