Three Kiwis under investigation for match fixing

Remove this Banner Ad

Steve Waugh knew about Hansie Cronje or Cronjie before it came out. Either the saffa cap'n had attempted to conspire with our skipper (which seems unlikely but who knows) or Tugga had the mail on him and whispers thru the saffa grapevine. when i first saw Waugh's pressa i was wondering why he was so diplomatic and resident to support Cronje back when the story broke. Well, in hindsight, I now see he was saying alot by what he was not saying

Steve Waugh knew about Hansie Cronje or Cronjie before it came out. Either the saffa cap'n had attempted to conspire with our skipper (which seems unlikely but who knows) or Tugga had the mail on him and whispers thru the saffa grapevine. when i first saw Waugh's pressa i was wondering why he was so diplomatic and resident to support Cronje back when the story broke. Well, in hindsight, I now see he was saying alot by what he was not saying

Waugh often talked about how much he respected cronje as a leader but if he did that already knowing full well cronje was a fixer then it goes against everything we know about waugh and it would also make him dumber than dave warner.

Did you ever think waugh in that press conference was much like the rest of us and genuinely shocked at the idea that cronje of all men was a fixer? He was up with waugh as one of those blokes most felt could simply never do something like that.

i am trying to get my head around this!
why would anyone who is talented and lucky enough to play cricket for a living get involved in this sordid s**t!
i liked watching cairns and not in a million years would i have thought he was involved in match fixing.

why would anyone who is talented and lucky enough to play cricket for a living get involved in this sordid s**t!
i liked watching cairns and not in a million years would i have thought he was involved in match fixing.

Some might make the case that the more talented and popular players are better targets for this sort of stuff, their standing in the game is more likely to lead them to believe they are underpaid(well for many 1990's stars this was actually true) and their success on the field leads to the arrogance that makes them think they simply won't get caught.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was fixing NZ games?

Doesn't seem like they were fixing NZ games.

Just an easy point to meet.

Nobody would be suspicious of Chris Cairns, former NZ international and currently in England playing county cricket, going to visit the New Zealand team when New Zealand was playing Worcestershire.

Some might make the case that the more talented and popular players are better targets for this sort of stuff, their standing in the game is more likely to lead them to believe they are underpaid(well for many 1990's stars this was actually true) and their success on the field leads to the arrogance that makes them think they simply won't get caught.
spotfixing is pretty easy to justify<?>

eh, whats one no-ball, even in a 20-20. butterfly effect, random(ness), all that rigmarole, one run wont make a difference to the outcome, it is like the Zeno's paradox of the arrow in flight. Isolating this one event as a no-ball, does not materially change the outcome of the match event.

Doesn't seem like they were fixing NZ games.

Just an easy point to meet.

Nobody would be suspicious of Chris Cairns, former NZ international and currently in England playing county cricket, going to visit the New Zealand team when New Zealand was playing Worcestershire.
spot-fixing is not match-fixing. this is how they would justify it.

however, if you were told, as a fan, that the individual events were susceptible to fantasy no-balls, would you ever have confidence in the entire game?

spot-fixing is not match-fixing. this is how they would justify it.

however, if you were told, as a fan, that the individual events were susceptible to fantasy no-balls, would you ever have confidence in the entire game?

oh I get how they justify it.

But just saying that Cairns approaching McCullum in a NZ tour match against Worcestershire doesn't make the NZ matches dodgy.

It's just that it's a pretty good place to approach McCullum, when you're Chris Cairns, New Zealand cricketing legend.

John the Bookie can only meet players in private but Chris Cairns can rock up to a pub where McCullum is drinking with Ricky Ponting and request a talk.

Sportsmen's careers are short and the Kiwis back then were hardly the most well-paid of cricketers. Imagine how galling it must feel to know that some cricketers are multi-millionaires over their careers and you, while having worked as hard as them, are going to have to find a proper job as soon as you finish up your sports career.

None of them are used to 'normal' life, it must seem horrifying as a prospect.

As I've got older, I've become less and less surprised when I hear of either doping or fixing.

The world being what it is.

I don't entirely buy Punters testimony.

"He had a phone call and I heard none of it and I didn't ask about it and he didn't tell me about it and I forgot all about it and I know nothing about it"

Come on Punter. I'm not saying the phone call didn't happen the way it did. I just think Punter's trying to keep himself separate from it all.

I don't entirely buy Punters testimony.

"He had a phone call and I heard none of it and I didn't ask about it and he didn't tell me about it and I forgot all about it and I know nothing about it"

Come on Punter. I'm not saying the phone call didn't happen the way it did. I just think Punter's trying to keep himself separate from it all.

Most people wouldn't normally try and remember too much about someone else's private phone calls.

If you're drinking with a mate and he gets a phone call and then tells you it was business - how much do you actually remember?

Most people would just dump it in the "none of my business" category

Most people wouldn't normally try and remember too much about someone else's private phone calls.

If you're drinking with a mate and he gets a phone call and then tells you it was business - how much do you actually remember?

Most people would just dump it in the "none of my business" category
Why call him as a witness?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back