Toast Thurs. 30 April 2015 - Hong Kong ANZAC Centenary Luncheon, Hosted by PAFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Hong Kong ANZAC Centenary Luncheon

Thursday 30 April - Sports Hall, 1st floor, Hong Kong Football Club

Hosted by Port Adelaide Football Club. Emcee: David Koch.

AFL, Rugby & ANZAC guest celebrities ... to be confirmed asap.

Preceded by Team China vs. Pearl River Power on HKFC Main Pitch.

This post is just to open the thread. The first 'Save The Date' flyer went out today.

The event has been initiated by David Koch who is spending a few days in HK with family on his way back from covering the Centenary Dawn Service at Gallipoli for Channel Seven.

KT will be on stage, too, giving a report on China Strategy progress since his last visit in May last year.

Background music c/- John Schumann "Behind the Lines" CD (if I have anything to do with it).

Anyone who is in the area and is interested in attending what will be a unique and historic event - nothing like it ever held outside of Australia (by PAFC at least) - please watch this space.

I expect to be able to post more details, and a copy of flyer/s, once the event is officially announced on the Club website later this week.

Meanwhile, here's a look at the sherrins now being used in the South China AFL (SCAFL) competition.
Port Adelaide Football Club = Major Sponsor of the SCAFL and Mentor of AusKick in Hong Kong and South China, now also Shanghai.

SCAFL Power Sherrins.jpg

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
You n Me both
Ground control to Major Tom
commencing countdown engines on

Houston we have lift off
Tighten my seatbelt

Kochie was on ABC 891 with Ian Henschke this morning and talked about this event and HK and china in general for about 3 or 4 of his 15 minute interview which included 3 or 4 calls from supporters.

Portress Hill

Cancelled
Oct 6, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Love the work the PAFC have been doing over there. You too, LR! I was actually in Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago and saw a bloke wearing the original black PA monogram cap. PAFC worldwide :thumbsu:

really? I was at the doghouse (wan chai) with the great man Russell Ebert and LR after last years grand final. I was wearing my black PAFC cap from the membership package circa 2012(ish)?? maybe? I bloody left it behind in the bar and it was never to be seen again. Odds are slim naturally thats it was my cap you saw...but dammit i want my hat back :(

PowerbaII

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 14, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
really? I was at the doghouse (wan chai) with the great man Russell Ebert and LR after last years grand final. I was wearing my black PAFC cap from the membership package circa 2012(ish)?? maybe? I bloody left it behind in the bar and it was never to be seen again. Odds are slim naturally thats it was my cap you saw...but dammit i want my hat back :(
Nah mate wouldn't have been yours. Was the original PA monogram cap, not a membership cap.

I was never in much doubt as to which thread to post this: this one or the 'ANZAC Spirit' strategy thread I started a year ago to reinforce the Club's message that our main aim for the 2015 draw was to play at home again in ANZAC Round. All of that has more than worked out, so nothing to add.
We not only play at the Oval on ANZAC Round we play on ANZAC Night, and we play the Premiers.

The Club has quite a pre-match show planned for ANZAC Night. And five days later, on Thursday 30 April, behind-the-scenes video footage of the planning and execution of that show will be put on the giant LED screen in the Hong Kong Football Club Sports Hall for a target audience of 500.

The ANZAC Centenary Luncheon in Hong Kong will be, of a fashion, a continuation of the pre-match entertainment at the Oval. We'll even have one of the same performers, a fine bloke with whom I'm looking forward hugely to renewing acquaintance, and to repaying him with a little entertainment of my own. I've been ordered by the diggers to make sure he's shown a great time, after hours.
I can probably release his name in the next day or so. But you're probably wise to it anyway.

The crux of this post, however, is Peter Chant. That's him in my new avatar, of course.
Two years ago Pete's untold story was released on BigFooty.
Two years later his picture will also be up on that giant screen in Hong Kong, and we'll be remembering him again.

Do I love this Club? What do you reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey LR. any idea when we can get tickets to this event?

You'll have the flyer with booking instructions by end of this week, mate. Don't worry, you won't miss out. I've got your email address.

Here's the updated event flyer - looks the same as the 'Save The Date' flyer but contains essential information.

30 April HK Flyer # 2-page-001.jpg

Get around Lockhart's thread on the main AFL board and keep it on the front page for as long as possible.

Thanks, Ford.

Keeping said thread as high on the first page of the AFL board as possible will certainly help the Club with promotion of the function.

We've just had a brilliant boost to keeping our thread high on the AFL board - radiojake has discovered it and started with his anti-nationalism rant.

Had a meeting with the event managers today to go over a preliminary run sheet. Am so excited cobblers.Can't confirm what John Schumann's finale will be yet ;) but as the crowd exits the Sports Hall en route for a two-hour cash bar overlooking the Race Course they will be serenaded on their way by Eric Burden & the Animals with WE GOTTA GET OUT OF THIS PLACE full blast thru the sound system. What else? :):p:D

Lockhart Road on Good Friday ABC radio was running national programs - I guess to keep down the costs. They had a couple of shows out of WA and on one of them they had WA Bush poet Keith Cobber Lethbridge. Never heard of him before or his poem Gallipoli but it is fantastic especially the way it ended. I cant find the words on the net but this audio link is on the ABC site. Maybe you could use it at your event.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/05/23/4010913.htm

and you can down load it direct at this event

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/local/greatsouthern/201405/r1280273_17329363.mp3

You mentioned using Eric Burden - what about Eric Bogle's 2 songs about World War One.

I like this video of The Band Played Waltzing Maltilda. A Canadian school kid used it and put a video together to show for Remembrance Day at school using images from WWI to Afganistan. If you hit the show more at the you tube page his comments are very interestingncluding

"The more I listened to Bogle's words, the more I realized that this song was about more than a moment in history. It's about how history repeats itself and the great sacrifices that are made during war and how futile it all is if we fail to learn from our mistakes.

Making the transition from B/W to full colour to coincide with Bogle's words "We started all over again," I wanted to show how war is part of our past, present and (unfortunately) future."
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG48Ftsr3OI

And The Green Fields of France (No Man's Land) - sometimes called Willie McBride - the name on the grave stone h saw walking the military cemeteries in Flanders in France.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back