Tigers-Demons seek Anzac Day eve game

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't stand the way Essendon and Collingwood deem to have ownership of Anzac Day. Yes they put it all together but that doesn't give them the right to have it evermore. They are no more related to Anzac Day than any other club and it irks me that players from previous eras from those two clubs get recognition but not of the other clubs.

Why don't they just have the Anzac Day match to be a replay of the previous year's grand final? The timing is perfect in that a few games have already been played to build up the momentum. It should be a blockbuster because of the interest between the two top sides.

Just my 20c worth. BTW not really keen on the Anzac eve idea and Eddie is giving me the pip.

Ok guys, I've got it. Lets cancel all football on the ANZAC day weekend, seems the only logical conclusion.

except the game that made ANZAC Day important for Australians

No, all of them. It would be disrespectful to do anything on the ANZAC Day weekend. Everyone just stay at home on your couches.

But ANZAC Day didnt exist before CFC/EFC created it!!!

Yeah that's it ess and coll created Anzac Day, they got a mortgage on it and the day is meaningless with out their football match. Well bullshit, I CGAF , don't been watch it , playing golf instead. The game is an irrelevance to Anzac Day other than the coincidence it's actually played on the same day.
We should be well entitled to play the day before , has * all to do with any other fixtures, coz that's all they are fixtures , not *en monuments
Hope that's cleared things up

Ed is a tool, whinging about how Richmond and Melbourne will spoil the day, but said a few months back that the other clubs need to look at creating their own special event games. On top of that the tool also has the gall to say that Good Friday footy should be given to a side like Collingwood because they will make it a success unlike the smaller clubs like North who have done a heap of work trying to get Good Friday footy established. The flog wants everything for his club and cries like a baby when other clubs get the jump on him.

I see where you're coming from but if people can't do both, then they're pretty weak. I worked till 2am one year and still made it to the dawn service. If remembering what happened almost 100 years ago that helped shape this country can't inspire you to get out of bed, then nothing will.

Fact of the matter is that it's a public holiday tomorrow. People will be getting out and about tonight anyway. Some people make the dawn service, some don't. It's more important that we remember that we are living in a great country thanks to the deeds of many that are long since gone. Not just tomorrow but every day when we wake up.

Great post, and I absolutely agree with the sentiment. I guess I'm just saying that if there is anything we can do to increase turnout at dawn services then im for it. One thing that would help would be limiting what is on the night before (including venues having pre-anzac day special nights). Not saying that it should make a difference, but not everyone is like you and I.

bit of a crock cam, doesn't in anyway impede people going to dawn service, the game is the night before not 500AM in the morning. to suggest people need to be in bed nice and early in order to make it to the service , c'mon, Ive almost heard it all

I'm not saying people need to be in bed early. The last two Anzac days I've now had a total 2 hours sleep (admittedly I was at Gallipoli last year) but it's more important to me so I make the effort regardless, however, the general population that isn't as committed may only need a small excuse.

I also believe footy is now saturating the day. I think we did it well in the past with
Essendon vs Collingwood alone but now we want to smother the day with football, only taking respite for a rare few hours in the morning to actually focus on what the day is about, then go back to rah rah football. Anzac day and what it is about should be the focal point, not football. I almost get the feeling they are trying to take a book out of the Americans Thanksgiving day where football goes hand in hand with how they mark the day having a marathon three games in a row every year.

Great post, and I absolutely agree with the sentiment. I guess I'm just saying that if there is anything we can do to increase turnout at dawn services then im for it. One thing that would help would be limiting what is on the night before (including venues having pre-anzac day special nights). Not saying that it should make a difference, but not everyone is like you and I.

I'm not saying people need to be in bed early. The last two Anzac days I've now had a total 2 hours sleep (admittedly I was at Gallipoli last year) but it's more important to me so I make the effort regardless, however, the general population that isn't as committed may only need a small excuse.

I also believe footy is now saturating the day. I think we did it well in the past with
Essendon vs Collingwood alone but now we want to smother the day with football, only taking respite for a rare few hours in the morning to actually focus on what the day is about, then go back to rah rah football. Anzac day and what it is about should be the focal point, not football. I almost get the feeling they are trying to take a book out of the Americans Thanksgiving day where football goes hand in hand with how they mark the day having a marathon three games in a row every year.

I truly have to disagree:

1. if you want to go to the dawns service you will- I just got back from one in Indonesia, it was great. I am now at work. I dont get a day off.

2. bulldust with the saturation. one big game on the day (why it has to be ess v coll is beyond me) and one the night before. one in another country.

it is about paying respects and opening up the breadth of anzac day. the diggers are gone now, only thier memory remains, this is one other way of respecting thier sacrifice and taking it to the population.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone up for a New Years Eve game?

Seriously though how many big day games can the AFL invent?

Vlad said on 3aw that it's extremely unlikely to go ahead...

given he's even less likely to be going ahead in the AFL in 2015, so do we really GAF?

I read today the there were 60,000 people there yesterday (I was one of them). Apparently less than 10 years ago, there was around 14,000. People are going to go out on the eve of ANZAC day regardless because they know they don't have to work the next day. It's also much easier to get yourself out of bed at 5am if you know that you can go straight back to bed afterwards if you want.

I think it's worth a crack. If only to further upset Eddie. What a whiny little bitch that bloke is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back