Roast Tigers getting sent back to the Cattery ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Let them put us down there, and when we are in the top 4, the afl can then privately admit they made a huge mistake, just like C7 must be privately seething that they have been given a round 23 dead rubber at 7.40pm in prime time on a Saturday night while possibly the biggest game of round 23 is being played at the unfriendly time of 4.40pm on foxtel.

At least we'll be able to get back to Melbourne that night to prepare for the first final. :thumbsu::p

The article says that Coll, Ess & Hawks could be excluded.

We have more members and have been there a lot more times then they have recently, why the f cant they be sent there?

In 2013 we played Geelong at the MCG on a Saturday night and it drew 56k

This year we played them on a Sunday at 4:40 in terrible weather conditions and it drew 35k - bad crowd but all Sunday twilight's have drawn badly, especially when its pouring down all day.

If I was Geelong I would rather play the bigger drawing Victorian clubs in Melbourne as a home game. You would get way more ticket sales and exposure. Keep the low drawing crowd teams down in Geelong. If they were smart they would have their home game against us at the MCG like they did this year.
We make more money playing games at SS. We need a full MCG to make the same kinda cash as a full SS. We would need more fans than a Geelong Richmond game has typically drawn to make it worth our while.

Less than 2500 RFC members attended the away game in R 7, how would the campaigners know that, I was at that game yet no one asked me , nor did I swipe my card....I smell bullshit :confused:
How did you get in if you didn't swipe your card? If your purchased a ticket doesn't it ask for your membership number? Not having a dig just curious.

As it stands, the only Etihad/MCG home games that turn a significant profit for us are those against Hawthorn, Collingwood and Essendon. Crowds for such games usually far exceed the capacity of SS, so it makes sense for them to be played at a larger venue where we not only rake in more $$$, but ensure more are able to attend.

Nothing to do with the 'size' of particular clubs - it's all about smart business decisions from our POV and crowd numbers, and in that case we're probably financially better off playing you guys at Geelong. Ditto Carlton who we failed to draw 40k against at Etihad on both occasions this year. Certainly if you were in form back in Round 7, the match would have drawn significantly more than 34k and playing it at a smaller venue wouldn't be on the agenda. It's all relative and subject to form; you didn't see the Dogs and Saints travel to Geelong too often during the mid-late 2000's when they were very competitive sides (i.e. flag contenders).

It all seems like a ploy on our part to receive an extra SS game or two and play a greater variety of clubs there, and less about particular blockbuster opponents. We'd be laughed out of town by the AFL if we requested Collingwood or Essendon as opponents there, so a more reasonable request has to be in order. I doubt we'd be too hellbent on playing you at Simonds anyway considering the regularity in which you've travelled there recently - it's mostly a Carlton home game I'd be keen on (hasn't happened since 1996).

Hope my 2c are welcome and I apologise for the intrusion, but just wanted to offer a Geelong perspective on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The article says that Coll, Ess & Hawks could be excluded.

We have more members and have been there a lot more times then they have recently, why the f cant they be sent there?

In 2013 we played Geelong at the MCG on a Saturday night and it drew 56k

This year we played them on a Sunday at 4:40 in terrible weather conditions and it drew 35k - bad crowd but all Sunday twilight's have drawn badly, especially when its pouring down all day.

In all fairness to Essendon, the majority of our recent Etihad matches against them have been sellouts or very near to it (53k last year with both teams undefeated being an example). Too many fans/members, both Cats and Bombers, would miss out on tickets by scheduling them at SS. In fact, I'd rather the 'G for these clashes.

And Hawthorn will be in the same basket as St Kilda, Dogs, Melbourne once they're s**t again, i.e. fixtured to play us at Simonds in Pay TV timeslots. The days of big MCG crowds for Hawks games won't last once they take a fall down the ladder.

Umm, if I purchase a GA I don't have to produce my RFC membership, no one does for any club. You just ask for a ga and pay your dough

OK right, sorry seems counter initiative to do that. I thought it would be cheaper with your RFC membership evidently not! Cheers.

Hmmm, more like it, that's some sophisticated research , it's called manipulating the facts to suit the argument :confused:
Of course it is. But it is true for that game you weren't there as a Richmond member.

With a crowd like 33k talks of playing the game in Geelong are warranted. If we were getting 40k+ this wouldn't be a talking point.

Of course it is. But it is true for that game you weren't there as a Richmond member.

With a crowd like 33k talks of playing the game in Geelong are warranted. If we were getting 40k+ this wouldn't be a talking point.
I think the 440PM start is also a telling factor, heck coll v Carl didn't top 40,000, what's that say

Yeah but I reckon out of all the grounds, they get the biggest home ground advantage more than anyone. Plus I'm dying to beat Geelong and doing it there would be twice as hard!!!
So, its THEIR home ground

Good teams win anywhere. Anywhere, anytime

In all fairness to Essendon, the majority of our recent Etihad matches against them have been sellouts or very near to it (53k last year with both teams undefeated being an example). Too many fans/members, both Cats and Bombers, would miss out on tickets by scheduling them at SS. In fact, I'd rather the 'G for these clashes.

And Hawthorn will be in the same basket as St Kilda, Dogs, Melbourne once they're s**t again, i.e. fixtured to play us at Simonds in Pay TV timeslots. The days of big MCG crowds for Hawks games won't last once they take a fall down the ladder.

This would also apply to Richmond considering we have more members than Essendon.

As long as they allocate a fair amount of seats for our supporters (not 200 like last time), I don't give a s**t where we play them. it's only a 15-minute bus ride to the Barwon Club Hotel for me anyway and then a two minute walk to the ground.

Nobody in their right mind would demand a Geelong-Hawthorn game at Simmonds. It has become the biggest home and away clash in the comp, even outstripping the drug cheats vs Collingwood Anzac Day farce.
If the Cats want a big Vic club, then I'm afraid it's either us or the Blues.
As I said, I don't mind. I live in Barwon Heads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back