• Tim

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Jobe

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

great poll idea
I've been wondering about this for a while
Loved Tim as a player, but see Jobe as a bit more consistent & more of a leader. Tim had better highlights.
This is going on a booze addled memory

When I first got interested in footy and Essendon, the first number I had on my jumper (long sleeve) was #32 and that was, as Doug Heywood proudly pronounced it on Channel 2, Timothy Michael Watson.

A childhood hero, pure and simple.

Now this isn't to say Jobe isn't the better footballer..he's actually not that far off Tim. But, the old man shades the son.

Tim is before my time, but he certainly seemed the more naterelly talented. Is it fair to say Jobe is tougher? or was Tim also ahead in the inside contested stuff as well?

Tim is before my time, but he certainly seemed the more naterelly talented. Is it fair to say Jobe is tougher? or was Tim also ahead in the inside contested stuff as well?

Jobe is ahead inside. That's not to say Timmy couldn't do it, just he was very quick and a beautiful kick that Essendon was better off having him burst away to damage sides rather than do all the heavy lifting.

Tim, later in his career (mid-twenties only because he started so young) injuries robbed him of games and therefore consistency. Jobe is a very solid footballer and has strung a few very good years together but Tim at his best was unstoppable and hit the scoreboard playing as a mid-sized but super fast forward often.

Tim burst onto the scene he was the wunderkind. Jobe struggled early, simply could not kick. Different players, Tim explosive capable of kicking big bags of goals. Jobe will beat you by a thousand cuts.
Years ago you would say Tim clearly, dead level now. With the difference being they were different types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

great poll idea
I've been wondering about this for a while
Loved Tim as a player, but see Jobe as a bit more consistent & more of a leader. Tim had better highlights.
This is going on a booze addled memory

dunno about that, if stats were a determining outlier (an invariably they aren't), Tim was averaging 20+ disposals for seven seasons in a row. Remembering players today average a great deal more than players in Senior's era due to the overall evolution of the game. He returned from injury and continued on with those averages.

Jobe has been a consistent player throughout most of his career but he really didn't reach his full potential until about five years ago. If he maintains this level of football for a little while yet, he'll certainly be pushing the oldman in the comparison stakes but right now, he comes up well short imo.

dunno about that, if stats were a determining outlier (an invariably they aren't), Tim was averaging 20+ disposals for seven seasons in a row. Remembering players today average a great deal more than players in Senior's era due to the overall evolution of the game. He returned from injury and continued on with those averages.

Jobe has been a consistent player throughout most of his career but he really didn't reach his full potential until about five years ago. If he maintains this level of football for a little while yet, he'll certainly be pushing the oldman in the comparison stakes but right now, he comes up well short imo.
Good points
I will however add that Jobe isn't much of a cheap possessions type player, rather he is good in the contest.
Not that Tim wasn't good in the contest as well

Tim was a more gifted player (he debuted at 15!) and Jobe is testament to hard work. Jobe is a better leader, but Tim was a superstar. Lucky enough to see both play.

Back