Society/Culture Time for a flag of our own?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sloth

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2005
Greenie
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
According to a Herald sun poll, 40% of Australians want the flag changed. That's a huge number, can you imagine if 40% of Americans wanted their flag changed? Time for a flag that all Australians can live with.

It's a huge number, but it's not a majority. Going by that poll, the majority are quite happy with the status quo.

Incidentally, I'm not too fussed. Knowing that we will probably end up with some technicolor monstrosity if we do change, I'm quite happy to leave it as it is.

It's a huge number, but it's not a majority. Going by that poll, the majority are quite happy with the status quo.

Incidentally, I'm not too fussed. Knowing that we will probably end up with some technicolor monstrosity if we do change, I'm quite happy to leave it as it is.

Ah but it's not a two thirds majority. That tells you at least something is wrong with this picture.

Long as they don't put the aboriginal flag on it.

They didn't do **** all to build the place up from the ground.

At least the Union Jack represents the English, the Scots and the Irish within it and who actually did the majority of the work to create the nation we have today.

Long as they don't put the aboriginal flag on it.

They didn't do **** all to build the place up from the ground.

At least the Union Jack represents the English, the Scots and the Irish within it and who actually did the majority of the work to create the nation we have today.

Apart from the minority Protestants in the North, I don't think the Union Jack represents this mob.

I've always favoured a variation on this one.

flag_wa_brendan_jones.gif

Obviously that one is for WA, but there's no reason why they couldn't change it to blue and white - with the federation star in the middle maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Republic, new flag & new anthem all at the same time and Australia will have grown up.

Why?

This is the biggest load of tosh that is repeatedly trotted out when the flag or republic discussion is brought up.

Or the, 'It's just time'

For me the answer is an emphatic, yeah, nah.

And I thought the poll so far was 39% for change and 60% against from around 6,000 respondents.

Republic, new flag & new anthem all at the same time and Australia will have grown up.

Nothing will change for the average Australian.

All you'll do is waste millions upon millions on commitees to investigate something that wonty make any of us richer or more secure.

And just because you change it, doesnt mean people will fly that flag.

Waste of money.

Why?

This is the biggest load of tosh that is repeatedly trotted out when the flag or republic discussion is brought up.

Or the, 'It's just time'

And I thought the poll so far was 39% for change and 60% against from around 6,000 respondents.

Because at the moment we are still deeply rooted in our childhood as a colony of the British Empire.

If Britain is our mother we've taken a few steps towards independance but have only got as far as the granny flat and mum still cooks our dinner. Time to move out and get our own place.

Why?

Or the, 'It's just time'

Was it time for South Africa to change their flag, or do you prefer their old one which had the union jack & dutch flags on it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back