Universal Love Time to make History!

Remove this Banner Ad

Get to wear my scarf to work next week...cant believe how excited I am at the the prospect. So happy feel like we are where we should be an honest 5th position no hype, no false claims, just a genuine number 5 chance at the prize. GO PORT!!!!!!!!

PS we need port power icons....

We would be the best placed side outside the top 4 to do it in quite some time. Our best can beat the top 4 sides just need it all to come together on game day.

We need to clean up our disposal. No chance to make prelim if we don't. Freo relied on it and we delivered. Freo were so beatable today. They applied good pressure but we've had tougher games. Not sure players are mentally ready, do they believe enuf coz I just don't see a ruthless streak yet

No-one has won the flag or even made the Grand Final from 5th. But most years there are two or three dominant teams and the rest are a rung or two below. This year there are 5 teams who are good enough to be Premiers, and we most definitely have proven that our best is good enough. Even today, we beat Fremantle in clearances, out-tackled them and had more scoring shots, and but for inaccuracy, could have won.
Knock over Richmond; travel to Sydney or Perth against a last-game loser and with a bit of luck and some composure in front of goal and we can beat either of them. A preliminary final at the MCG versus a rested Qualifying final winner would be tough, but we are good enough and then anything can happen in a Grand Final.
I have seen this club do the extraordinary, make the impossible possible. Until the final siren blows and we are trailing, I will believe that this club can reach the pinnacle. And if it ends next Sunday, then I will start planning for next year, because I believe in the direction that Ken Hinkley is leading us and I just know that our next premiership is within view.

We will never give up. They can Never Tear Us Apart. We Are Port Adelaide.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaac
ca

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this talk this week about how no one has won it from fifth in this finals system, well here is a killer fact for you; no one's won it from fourth either! All winners since 2000 have finished the H & A season 1st, 2nd or 3rd. So we'd have been making history anyway.

Let's just worry about beating Richmond which is proving to be a far harder task then most people would give credit to.

We've had plenty of experience beating top teams within the space of a few weeks, so I can't see why not.

History says the flag is usually won by 1st or 2nd, and 3rd has done it 3 times. 4th has never won a premiership and only made the grand final twice. This is all since the current final 8 system was introduced. Premiership this year probably belongs to Hawks or Sydney.

You don't go against history without compelling reasons - right now we just don't have the squad or structure yet (lacking KPF's and squad is young, some players currently down on form and overall limited finals exposure). It'd be a bit different if we'd finished the year strongly, played Butch/Shaw/Harvey a few months ago and ended up in the top 2 but we didn't and now we have to be realistic.

For us, we have to get over Richmond first: they've won 9 straight, are on a roll and aren't under any pressure/burdened with any expectations - exactly the sort of environment they thrive in. Massive danger game IMO, losing to them would be an incredibly shitty way to finish the year. It just can't be allowed to happen and would be an indictment on the club if we lost.

History says the flag is usually won by 1st or 2nd, and 3rd has done it 3 times. 4th has never won a premiership and only made the grand final twice. This is all since the current final 8 system was introduced. Premiership this year probably belongs to Hawks or Sydney.

You don't go against history without compelling reasons - right now we just don't have the squad or structure yet (lacking KPF's and squad is young, some players currently down on form and overall limited finals exposure). It'd be a bit different if we'd finished the year strongly, played Butch/Shaw/Harvey a few months ago and ended up in the top 2 but we didn't and now we have to be realistic.

For us, we have to get over Richmond first: they've won 9 straight, are on a roll and aren't under any pressure/burdened with any expectations - exactly the sort of environment they thrive in. Massive danger game IMO, losing to them would be an incredibly shitty way to finish the year. It just can't be allowed to happen and would be an indictment on the club if we lost.
Agree with most ---- two years running we lost Trengove and our response has hurt us.......

Need a fdew lucky breaks to get to and win the Grand Final. We are there and have a chance.

Whoever wins this game is going to have to travel to Sydney or Perth. We seen yesterday just how tough the dockers were at home. 9 ******* goals without a yelp from our guys.

Just ******* beat Richmond!

I wouldn't be underestimating Fremantle. Sydney this week is their big hurdle, but they get Fyfe back and I'm not sure about McPharlin's availability. If they can upset the Swans and snare a home preliminary final, they'd be damn tough to beat in Perth. Then anything can happen in a grand final.

I wouldn't be underestimating Richmond.
1) their form is phenomenal
2) their style of footy is excellent, both contested and uncontested
3) we are yet to beat them under Hinkley
4) we are yet to beat a side Choco has been involved with
5) Maric is a big factor each time we play, as are Rance, Deleidio and Riewoldt
6) Westhoff is yet to have a decent game against shithead
7) they have the pressure released now and will not be as prone to choking as they were last year, which they will also want to atone for
8) we friggin' conceded 9 goals in a row yesterday
9) we are travelling back from Perth
10) they played Adelaide Oval well a few weeks ago in a must win game

Talk about semis, prelims or GFs from fifth is ridiculously premature, even for supporters

I thought that this thread was about wangerfield winning the GF sprint again now that he has nothing to do in Sept. Again!

I wouldn't be underestimating Richmond.
1) their form is phenomenal
2) their style of footy is excellent, both contested and uncontested
3) we are yet to beat them under Hinkley
4) we are yet to beat a side Choco has been involved with
5) Maric is a big factor each time we play, as are Rance, Deleidio and Riewoldt
6) Westhoff is yet to have a decent game against shithead
7) they have the pressure released now and will not be as prone to choking as they were last year, which they will also want to atone for
8) we friggin' conceded 9 goals in a row yesterday
9) we are travelling back from Perth
10) they played Adelaide Oval well a few weeks ago in a must win game

Talk about semis, prelims or GFs from fifth is ridiculously premature, even for supporters
Yep: you're spot on - this game has DANGER written all over it. The other worrying aspect for me is the fact that we're entering this game, having won just 4 out of our last 11. Yes the Carlton game was almost the perfect game, but the Blues were a disgrace that night: they would have lost to St. Kilda, playing like that. If we don't bring our best to the table next Sunday, Mad Monday will follow a day later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back