Time to start trading with West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

IMHO, our list is good enough to challenge for a top 4 again, assuming of course, Pav, MacPharlin and Sandi maintain their high standard and output. We may even still be a strong contender for the finals, assuming we have a better run with suspension and injuries.

But let's be honest here, if we compare ourselves to Hawthorne and Sydney (and maybe Port?), we are still 1or 2 good players short of being on the same level as them. Even if we made PF or GF with our current list, we'll still be hard pressed to beat either of them in MCG.

The question is, are we happy just to be in contention next year, or do we want to make a hard push for the flag. If we are, we'll need to make some big trades this trade/FA period.

Agree with all of the above but don't see much value in any player the Egos would be willing to trade out. Better off developing our own players for the long term and hope for a big trade elsewhere for the short term.

The only way either of our teams are going to get close next season is by combining your midfield and good smalls with our KPP

I hope we have a look at Adam Carter, does concern me that he fell out of favour at West Coast though. Bennell is ok but surely they could have played another small defender more often the last two years.

Keyser Soze what's the deal mate? I remember his debut (?) against Ballantyne and he comprehensively pantsed him but only ever played another game or two afterwards?

I hope we have a look at Adam Carter, does concern me that he fell out of favour at West Coast though. Bennell is ok but surely they could have played another small defender more often the last two years.

Keyser Soze what's the deal mate? I remember his debut (?) against Ballantyne and he comprehensively pantsed him but only ever played another game or two afterwards?
Not sure but he seemed to have regressed this year. Showed some promising signs last year, in particular his game against ballantyne, but bennell, sheppard, Ellis and butler were in front of him. The couple of games he did play were unimpressive and neither was his WAFL form.

I wouldn't mind giving him another year, perhaps on the rookie list but he looks in danger of losing his spot

The only way either of our teams are going to get close next season is by combining your midfield and good smalls with our KPP
Sounds good to me...... we'll go first, so just hand over JK and EMac and you can have Croz and Sherro.

Masten and Gaff might not appreciate being sent back to East Perth though! :p

Not sure but he seemed to have regressed this year. Showed some promising signs last year, in particular his game against ballantyne, but bennell, sheppard, Ellis and butler were in front of him. The couple of games he did play were unimpressive and neither was his WAFL form.

I wouldn't mind giving him another year, perhaps on the rookie list but he looks in danger of losing his spot
He really fell off the map this year, it was strange. Wonder if he might do better with a change of club- looked like a certainty to lock down a best 22 spot but Bennell came and pinched that.

Can't play midfield it seems, so really losing a small non-mid won't be that damaging for us, but I expected a lot more of him this season.

I just cannot see what deal could get done. The talls they would let go are the ones we don't want. Happy to give some quality for quality, but that won't happen here.

I just cannot see what deal could get done. The talls they would let go are the ones we don't want. Happy to give some quality for quality, but that won't happen here.
True. Same applies to your mids I think

I really, really liked that derby game. I was jealous of the Eagles for stealing him. Of course, he's had a disappointing season and it's not like he's attempting to break into the Hawks, but he's still young and one season of regression/bad form isn't an awful sign. Could Freo pinch him in the PSD? He'd be worth a rookie spot at least, I mean who's the next small defender after Spurr?

I really, really liked that derby game. I was jealous of the Eagles for stealing him. Of course, he's had a disappointing season and it's not like he's attempting to break into the Hawks, but he's still young and one season of regression/bad form isn't an awful sign. Could Freo pinch him in the PSD? He'd be worth a rookie spot at least, I mean who's the next small defender after Spurr?

Brady Gray's name always seems to come up in this conversation but that appears to me like we're just trying to convert a natural small forward/mid into a back pocket, there isn't really anybody else on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad you're not in charge of our trading
It's a risky trade as it would make them even better, but it makes us better as well. And I think this is the real reason why we dont find ourselves trading all that often. Simply because either team does not want to make the other team better. It's important to note that it's not just winning games and attaining the flag that is important, it's market share. Unfortunately doing well in the AFL means you will get bandwagoners and new supporters who will ultimately buy merchandise and the like. Believe me our worst nightmare in the clubs eyes is them getting too big, and eating into our market share. We'd be spitting chips at the moment that Freo are doing well and we're languishing out of the finals the last couple of years.

Trouble is Soze, somewhere you have to come up with at least a couple of big bodied mids to stop your great forwards from starving against strong top eight sides.
Catch 22 huh?

In saying that though, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving up Barlow for Darling. Not sold completely on his value. Would sure like to have chosen him ahead of Pitt though! :(

No it doesn't
o_O

You don't think Barlow would improve your team.

That's the only part of your team holding you back. Your backline is solid, you have decent rucks, and your forward line even without Darling is dangerous.

Kennedy, Mcgovern and Lycett for your 3 talls.

Midfield:
Barlow, Priddis, Selwood
Shuey, Yeo, Nic Nat

Would be a big improvement.....
But........
Barlow's never leaving Freo.

Barlow is third banana behind fyfe and Mundy. He's a big body but his disposal isn't great so he improves our midfield but not enough to cover the loss of darling up forward. That trade is a net loss for us

I'm not sure why the reluctance to trade with the West Coast when it could make both teams better, it sounds very counter-productive. It's like any Victorian team refusing to trade with another Victorian team just because they're going to make the other team better, sounds ludicrous. When you see it like that it makes us look like a parochial hick town. I'd be happy if West Coast plays Freo in the GF a few times over the next few years! Now that'd make the AFL worry.

Barlow is third banana behind fyfe and Mundy. He's a big body but his disposal isn't great so he improves our midfield but not enough to cover the loss of darling up forward. That trade is a net loss for us
But just think how much money you would save if you traded Darling. The doctor bills for his wobble neck must but huge. Darling can play - but you are right Barlow is third banana as is Darling, at 191cm, he gets the third choice backman behind your big ruckmen and JK. He will likely move behind McGovern next year. ( I know MaGovern can play back but he will be your leading goal kicker over the next 10 years. )
You should trade him but just not to us thanks. We need a tall forward.

Not sure about that. I reckon it is a net loss for Freo (at least short term).

Barlow would be your best midfielder (or at least improve it greatly), and you still have Kennedy and McGovern and wouldn't lose too much up forward.

Losing Barlow from our midfield would be a massive blow, and I doubt Darling up forward would make up for the loss of drive out of the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back