Other Time's Up for Extra Point...Suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

How about:
Score touchdown you earn 7

You can go for 1 to get 8, but if you don't get it you go back to 6

If their is a turnover on this extra point play, the opposition gets a point automatically

That's goodells idea and its stupid.
So replace something that's nearly automatic (the pat) with something that is 100% automatic (the pat-less 7)

6 for a TD, 1 for a kick from the 40 yard line and 2 point conversion stays as it is.

Got to change it to something though.

Would be awesome to see some drop kicks though!

I'm all for moving the spot for the PAT so they're 40-45 yards rather than 20

GG is of course ahead of his time....

View attachment 41041

pfft, my stat in my OP I posted 3 weeks ago, Roger quoted word for word.......today!!! He'll learn and improve if he keeps following me, give him time.

How did I know that the “automatic” nature of the extra point was not driving this so much as the wussification of the NFL. If I hear “risk of injury” on more time, I’ll start watching another sport.
In another article on this subject statistics are provided to back up the need to eliminate the PAT because it’s automatic. According to those stats there were 1261 PATs this season. That number times the 22 players on the field for each PAT equals 27,742 players. How many were injured? One is cited? Compared to other plays in football this is probably the safest play. Goodell needs to leave the game alone. Enough already.

You can get hurt in warm ups and standing on the sideline too. Players get hurt in practice and it adds no value to the game, maybe practice should be eliminated too.
The PAT has been fine for decades, but now that a Patriots player has suffered an injury, I can see the urgent need to change the rule. We can call this change the Gronkowski Rule.
Since a Patriot got hurt defending a crossing route this weekend, should we eliminate them, too?

While I’m sure Roger Goodell thinks he is revolutionizing the game by the yearly draconian rules changes, the truth is irreparable harm is being done to the sport of football on his watch. The game is becoming unrecognizable from what I remember from my youth 20 some odd years ago.
I’ve never been less invested in an NFL season as I was this past season- financially, time, emotionally

Pick-7 just doesn't have the same ring about it.

I don't think it's about injury, more so that the PAT essentially is a waste of time. In its current state it's automatic and slows down the game, there's no interest or excitement attached to it. I don't advocate getting rid of it, but as I said previously I am a fan for ramping up the difficulty so that the PAT has a 85-90% success rate rather than 99.6%

Not sure if mentioned but what if simply, you just go for the extra point like you would if you were going for 2 except that you only get 1...

Takes the decision out of it though, the worst thing they could do with this is remove the tactics behind the choice between 1 and 2 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well then you could move the 2 point conversion to the 8-10 yd line

In some ways I reckon scoring from the 8-10 yard line could be easier for a pass-first team, more room for a receiver to get out behind a defender.

The more I think about it, the more I advocate a free kick (like after fair catch punts) from distance, find a slightly challenging distance (halfway maybe), and use that, with the hash marks playing a role in determining where the kick is taken from.

It takes not only the risk of injury out, but the distance and slight movement to either side could be enough to drop the conversion percentage down to 90-ish. Whilst also heightening the anticipation on the kick ("will it or won't it drift wide?").

They should keep kicking in the game, but maybe just make them kick the PAT like Rugby wherever it's scored.

Too difficult I reckon (just don't think you could get the same kind of curve back), two points would all of a sudden become the high percentage play.

Same format as current, except no holder, and kicker has to drop kick it. You'd get a greater variance of kicking PATs.
Teams can still choose to go for the 2 pts instead.
At least kicking is still part of the game.

I quite like that as an option (may have even advocated it earlier, who can remember :p), the only downside I can see is they'll probably get pretty good at it, pretty fast, and we're back here again.

The best thing about this one though (and any other set-up like it), is the scope to run the fake and score two. :thumbsu:

The less impact on the current way of doing things, the better though.

I'm already terribly surprised NO ONE runs a fake PAT for the 2 pts. Can't remember the last time anyone tried. Not even sure if it's outlawed. But FGs with the holder is better for the fake. The PAT with no holder, just a drop-kicker is less interesting....also in terms of the success of the drop-kick as the D guards against the fake more often, resulting in more time for the drop-kick. Tho things like snow, mud will see some games where no PATs are made.

Tbh, i actually like the tactical layers of Goodell's suggestion. However, the problem is the Kicker made even less important. The whole Special Teams has been ruined by Goodell, heading to extinction...from the wedge, to the kick-off, PAT, running into the kicker/punter, etc.

Only been watching NFL the last few years and have always wondered why they kept persisting with this PAT!

Now my question is for more knowledgeable fans, whats the likelihood of a change actually occurring?
I imagine rule changes would be tough to pass or at least will meet resistance from people who want to preserve tradition, but surely this issue is something most fans would actually agree with (ie: changing it from the current 'boring' system)

Only been watching NFL the last few years and have always wondered why they kept persisting with this PAT!

Now my question is for more knowledgeable fans, whats the likelihood of a change actually occurring?
I imagine rule changes would be tough to pass or at least will meet resistance from people who want to preserve tradition, but surely this issue is something most fans would actually agree with (ie: changing it from the current 'boring' system)
You can be certain Goodell and the Competition Committee WILL have the PAT changed this upcoming season. They convene this March, so you'll hear of a bunch of rules changes soon.

I'm already terribly surprised NO ONE runs a fake PAT for the 2 pts. Can't remember the last time anyone tried. Not even sure if it's outlawed. But FGs with the holder is better for the fake. The PAT with no holder, just a drop-kicker is less interesting....also in terms of the success of the drop-kick as the D guards against the fake more often, resulting in more time for the drop-kick. Tho things like snow, mud will see some games where no PATs are made.

Pretty sure Baltimore ran one last season which was disallowed due to a holding call.

But yeah, good point about conditions, I imagine the ball drop could also have an impact (similar to how AFL players can miss sitters), as well as the player probably having to stand further back to get the right elevation (thus affecting the snap). Still, even if defenders may play for the fake, it's probably worth trialling or at least seriously considering as an alternative.

Tbh, i actually like the tactical layers of Goodell's suggestion. However, the problem is the Kicker made even less important. The whole Special Teams has been ruined by Goodell, heading to extinction...from the wedge, to the kick-off, PAT, running into the kicker/punter, etc.

Which parts did you like?

He'll never be able to get rid of FGs and punts though, the 4th down plays will allow special teams to survive due to there being no genuine alternatives without completely f***ing with the way the game is played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back