Opinion Tippett two years on: is he worth it?

Was Tippett worth the money?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Time to settle this debate with a poll.

As I said in the injury thread, I'm prepared to wait till the end of this season before passing judgement, as his contributions when he's been injury free have been excellent, and it looks like he's over the knee tendonitis which plagued him last year (his current injury, presumably minor (?), is to his other knee). But I'm happy to hear contrasting opinions.

We need him to step up and nail that ruck/forward role this year though, given what it cost us to get him.

Share your thoughts here!

Last edited:
To blame the club for Adelaide breaching the rules regarding the salary cap is a huge reach. He was a late withdrawal in a Round 23 game against the Hawks and then damaged his knee early in the semi final against Carlton.

That is hardly a patten or a known risk we were taking at the time. His return last year was held back by knee tendenditis then a rib injury in the Reserves. Once over that he proved his worth.

26 games
69 goals

2.65 goals per game is a pretty good return, only Buddy has averaged more goals per game than this since Tippett came to the club. After that the player with the next highest goal per game average is Goodes with 1.7 in 2013 and 1.5 in 2014. No-one averaged more than 2 goals per game in 2012. He just needs to stay injury free.

Source: http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/?pageid=statshome

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-03/swans-star-kurt-tippett-ruled-out-of-nab-challenge

"Tippett's past two seasons have been restricted by knee injuries and suspension, meaning her has played only 26 games since joining the Swans as a high-profile recruit at the end of 2012." - afl.com.au

Quoted for accuracy

AFL.COM use the word " Star " pretty loosely don't they.:rolleyes: 26 games going into his third season but at least he hasn't put himself in a self induced coma true to his regular form.:rolleyes:

Tom Harley quoted as saying doing a full preseason gives you the confidence to go out and play every game !!!! Give us a spell Tom ! If you get hurt at the mere sight of a Sherrin you might as well have sat in the Woolamaloo getting Schindlers. Wait for the Club diatribe when he is a no show for Rd 1 and the ensuing s**t talk when his absence is extended beyond that.

Last edited:
I think this year will be the year when we're decided on Tippett. In 2013, when he was in our side I felt we were too predictable, a few games (for instance Collingwood) he was just on his own in our 50 metre arc doing nothing as the ball didn't come to him. In 2014, he was solid for most of the year having Franklin along side him but on Grand Final Day, the ball rarely got to him and he wasn't that good on the day. This year, as long as he stays injury-free, I feel he'll be better but time will tell. Jury is still out on whether or not he can stand up when things aren't going our way on the field.

Look back at the game against geelong last year. That was one of the most dominant performence by a forward duo in recent memory...especially given the quality of opposition.

Who knows,he may end up playing every game this year and kick 60 goals. Lets see how it turns out before we burn him alive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get him fit and on the field and yes, he's worth the money. 69 goals from 26 games is a very good return if you look at those stats without any other context.

He is often hurt however and already is off to a haphazard start to 2015. I certainly hope we get him to agree to a price reduction at the end of his contract given his status as a very talented but oft injured tall forward.

He's good. Would like to see him out on the park a bit more, I think he makes poor decisions diving for marks that endanger his knees. And like Kennedy, has no idea how to use his size to physically intimidate. Needs a dash more mongrel, fewer diving marks and better delivery from the mids to be 100% successful.

The side is better when he plays. You can't plan for injuries.

Worth the money - well yah, that is the market price for dominate power forwards. As much as I would like to think we could train Luke Parker to play at over 2 metres and 105kg (or whatever the numbers are) it aint going to happen although he can jump on a pack on them the talented little bugger.

Reason why Cloke, Hawkins, Tippett etc command the big bucks is that there are so few of them.

The first half year for suspension was not really "his fault" as such. If he had played that first half year the number would obviously be a lot better and the conversation would be different.

I totally agree with his recruitment. I just cant believe how injury prone he is. Hopefully he comes back early in the season. My worry is with a set back like this he could end up playing permanent forward not rucking, which leaves us the dilema of having to play another ruck along with pyke.

I would look at it this way, did a power forward averaging 2.6 goals a game cost you a high draft pick and a player?

He is worth it.

Sure because of the fiasco with Adelaide you had to hang on to Jessie White for one more season but that must be the only downside

Back